Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Tosin Omoba
Votes |
Need a platform to collect rent from tenant

Tosin Omoba
Posted Mar 3 2024, 21:01

Good evening, I am a recent landlord in Dallas Texas. I currently have a tenant in a home I am managing, I have been using Avail and as of recent I don't like the platform, I have noticed that my tenant like to edit the payment after the due date and that makes the collection date longer (Avail takes a whole week or more to get the rent in). I would love advice on which platform I can use to collect rent from my tenant. Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Glen Wiley
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Mar 4 2024, 01:55

I have been happy with both apartments.com and zillow, however they both take some time to deposit rents. I don't really care about that delay since they are free and their interfaces work well for me and my tenants.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan M kiefer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • south carolina and michigan
Votes |
  • south carolina and michigan
Replied Mar 4 2024, 04:19
Quote from @Glen Wiley:

I have been happy with both apartments.com and zillow, however they both take some time to deposit rents. I don't really care about that delay since they are free and their interfaces work well for me and my tenants.

Agree apartments.com is what we use. It used to be called "cozy" which I liked better but it does the job.

the delay in receipt is part of the game for sure.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Glen Wiley
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Mar 4 2024, 04:55
Yes, I remember when our properties were migrated from cozy to apartments.com - I was really frustrated for a while after that.

User Stats

Votes
Tosin Omoba
Votes |
Replied Mar 4 2024, 11:00
Quote from @Glen Wiley:

thank you

User Stats

Votes
Tosin Omoba
Votes |
Replied Mar 4 2024, 11:00
Quote from @Nathan M kiefer:
Quote from @Glen Wiley:

Agree apartments.com is what we use. It used to be called "cozy" which I liked better but it does the job.

the delay in receipt is part of the game for sure.

thank you

User Stats

Votes
Janice R.
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Mar 5 2024, 11:43

I just started with Innago.  I had to switch because Erentpayments.com because it was bought out by RentRedi. Innago does everything I need (no partial payments, etc.) but it does take 5 days for the payments get to your bank.  It's free for small landlords and the monthly transaction of $2 fee can be paid by the landlord or the tenant.  

User Stats

Votes
Mary M.
  • Portland OR
Votes |
  • Portland OR
Replied Mar 9 2024, 14:36

if you are just looking to collect rent Zelle, Venmo and paypal all can work. 

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Volek
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Mar 11 2024, 08:43

I use Cashapp and Venmo

OnDemand Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 17 2024, 20:25

Cash App has a fee however I'm not sure of the percent when you transfer into your bank.  I like Zelle but i'm looking for another program.

User Stats

Votes
Mary Smith
Votes |
Replied Apr 9 2024, 22:39

@Tosin Omoba We use Innago for rent collection. It's a free property management software and it has been working well for us. The best part of it is that they offer my tenants an Auto-pay option, which has greatly decreased the amount of late payments I receive.

User Stats

Votes
Grace Gudenkauf
Pro Member
  • Tucson AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tucson AZ
Replied Apr 10 2024, 15:56

Baselane and Innago are both free sites to collect rent, but are not as robust in other areas such as maintenance, communication etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Apr 10 2024, 17:18

If you only have 1 or 2 units I dont see any benefit to using any of these platforms. I use them to market my properties but I collect rent directly via Zelle or Venmo and the $$ is in my account within a couple of days at most. I do all my accounting on other programs. Seems like an overall complicated platform to manage 1 or 2 units

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 11 2024, 00:21

@Tosin Omoba Depending on the tenant I let them use CashApp, Zelle,Facebook Pay, or Venmo. The first time they try a charge back on any one of those apps will be the beginning of their eviction process. I also accept checks. I have a few stubborn tenants who insist upon paying in cash and I make them take the money to my bank with a pre-filled out deposit slip with my name and the last three digits of the account number and then they fill in the date and the amount of the deposit. If they make a partial deposit it is not considered complete. But I have not had this problem yet.

I will not go all over town picking up cash payments as a small petite woman for security reasons and to protect my tenants interests in knowing that when they go to the bank they get certified documentation that they paid the full amount as opposed to me giving them a hand written receipt. Besides I’ve got better things to do with my life than chase rent every month.

User Stats

Votes
Vicente Hernandez
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Chicago
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Chicago
Replied Apr 11 2024, 08:26

Hello Tosin, professionally we use Appfolio for our tenant portal. They make payments, schedule maintenance, and contact us through there. Been using it for a few years now with almost no issues. All these tenant portals usually have 1 or 2 things that are annoying or unnecessary. 

Personally my landlord just uses Zelle. I did talk to her about it and she says she uses it for all her units (6 in total) with no issue. 

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Jake Andronico#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied Apr 11 2024, 10:56
Quote from @Tosin Omoba:

Good evening, I am a recent landlord in Dallas Texas. I currently have a tenant in a home I am managing, I have been using Avail and as of recent I don't like the platform, I have noticed that my tenant like to edit the payment after the due date and that makes the collection date longer (Avail takes a whole week or more to get the rent in). I would love advice on which platform I can use to collect rent from my tenant. Thank you

I've tried 5 different platforms, and Turbotenant is by far the best.