Skip to content
Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
How much more rent over market can you charge for an HOA with a gym and pool?

Bradley Buxton
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Posted Mar 27 2024, 14:32

If I'm looking at buying a townhome or condo and the HOA is high because there is a nice pool and nice gym. How much more rent per month are that worth to a long term renter or midterm renter? Will a tenant pay over market rents for those amenities? What percentage?

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Mar 27 2024, 15:00

I wouldnt myself . I could care less about a pool . And I work construction , the last thing on my mind is going to a gym .  Now if the condos had a sports bar , I would be interested 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Mar 27 2024, 15:10
Quote from @Bradley Buxton:

If I'm looking at buying a townhome or condo and the HOA is high because there is a nice pool and nice gym. How much more rent per month are that worth to a long term renter or midterm renter? Will a tenant pay over market rents for those amenities? What percentage?

not worth the amount the HOA charges to maintain it. Most people do not care about those items, some may but those who do not will not be willing to pay extra for it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Mar 27 2024, 15:17

Some people will want those amenities......few will be willing to pay an extra $200+ per month for it. The pool is a seasonal thing and most HOA gyms are less than desirable.

Plus the HOA can raise their fees anytime they want to. Then what are you going to do? Keep raising the rent?

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:55

Market rent is set by the comparable units in the area. If none of them have pool/gym but everything else is very comparable, then you may be able to squeeze a bit more out above market but not much. Depending on the demographic for the area, some people may be interested in the pool, but most are not going to pay much more vs not having one to access. 

So basically it may make your unit more appealing... but wont raise the rent much if at all. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Yin
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 27 2024, 18:49

@Bradley Buxton

As much as you can get and someone will pay. Start high, and adjust your numbers if it doesn't rent. You will eventually find that sweet spot. It might mean over market, at market, or under market. Let Capitalism be your guide.

User Stats

Votes
Grace Gudenkauf
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tucson AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tucson AZ
Replied Apr 10 2024, 15:59

To answer this I would look for similar rental listings with the only difference being what you mentioned above. That would be the best way to understand the pricing difference. 

User Stats

Votes
Walter Moneypenny
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix
Replied Apr 21 2024, 06:33

Take a look a the comparable listings in the area for condos and apartments. If someone can pay a little bit for a gym membership and get what you have then they will most likely pass on your rental. Those amenities probably will only appeal to a small portion of the renters. Most renters shop by price and won't even read the ad if it is too far out of line.