Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Wholesaling
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
Contract write ups

Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Posted Oct 27 2014, 11:35

For those experienced and successful wholesalers out there, where can I draw up a purchase contract for the seller and an assignment contract for the end buyer from?  Do I go to a title company/Attorney who's familiar with closing wholesale transactions to draw up the right kind of contracts I need so I can have copies?  

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Britton
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Oct 27 2014, 12:26

each state and very often each county will have different purchase and sales agreement.  some title companies will provide purchase and sales agreement s but I doubt they will provide any sort of assignment of contract agreements.

you may consider striking up a relationship with a realtor as he or she would have access to those documents. I would also suggest going to your local REIA networking events and seeing if anyone has a copy they be willing to donate.

from personal experience, there are some attorneys who will draw up these contracts for you, of course for price.  those are good however in that they have been written by a licensed attorney.

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 27 2014, 15:48

Thanks for the awesome advice Patrick, I will be sure to network with my local REI and see if someone is willing to share. It also makes sense that each county may have their own different purchase and sales agreement.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
David Ward
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Oct 27 2014, 15:54

Darrell Jones Download limit is 3 a week but here's a link to some-
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/136241-new-investor-help

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 28 2014, 10:25

Thanks David for the link I will absolutely look into that.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Coluzzi
  • Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Oct 28 2014, 10:31

Free / online boilerplate works fine for the first few but...  If you get serious about it; get one actually drafted and reviewed by an attorney.   There are a lot of basic items (tax prorate, home owners fees, possession terms, etc) that can get messy, esp. with a BAD / boiler-plate reassignment contract.  

If you take a boilerplate, make sure you understand AND can explain what every clause says before you ask someone to sign it blindly (most won't have questions).

Remember, you get what you pay for.

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 28 2014, 15:52

That is an excellent point @Mitch Coluzzi I didn't understand 100% of the clauses on the contracts when I read them over and I do believe there are just a couple things in there that I would tweek to benefit myself and the seller and end buyer.  I always want my deals to be a win win win across the board.  Attorneys are definitely the way to go and it's worth the money I'll pay.

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 28 2014, 15:54

@David Ward wanted to make sure you seen that I thanked you for the awesome info, it was a tremendous help.  Wasn't able to tag you in the previous reply I mentioned your name in.  By the way how are you doing in the wholesaling market here in Houston?

User Stats

Votes
David Ward
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Oct 30 2014, 01:12

@Darrell Jones  No prob man. I'm just now really starting my campaign off; I've been pretty busy with work lately. As soon as I find a good affordable mail marketing company I plan on outsourcing the mail and ramping it up a little. What about you?

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Oct 30 2014, 04:04

@Darrell Jones 

You Texans better use the TREC residential sales contract and learn how to use addendums to modify the terms you need. Texas has specific laws concerning residential real estate sale contracts. :)  

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 30 2014, 10:47

@David Ward  I just Spring, Texas from Connecticut for a better job opportunity and to use that as a tool to invest in Real Estate like I want to.  Not sure if you heard of him but Jerry Puckett is a successful wholesaler and an active BP member who specializes in helping people with their marketing direct mail campaigns for wholesaling.  He had an excellent Podcast episode (show 21) which I high suggest you listen to if you haven't already.  Here's his website http://marketlikeawholesaler.com/

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 30 2014, 10:48

@David Ward wanted to make sure I properly tagged you so you'd get the message..

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 30 2014, 10:49

@Bill Gulley would I get this TREC residential sales contract from a title attorney?  

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Dev Horn
Pro Member
#3 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Oct 30 2014, 11:48

Here in Texas, we can use contracts other than TREC.

We have 2 simple agreements for the Purchase and the Assignment, and they are tailored to this type of transaction.  Used many many times here.  You do need a title company that is investor friendly and understands the transaction.

I'm happy to share our simple wholesale contracts (as Word docs) if you PM me.  Take them to a few title companies and see if they are acceptable for your use; modify them as necessary.

User Stats

Votes
Phil Z.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orange, CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Orange, CT
Replied Oct 30 2014, 16:10

Use a Realtor contract with some Additional Terms .. and make sure it is assignable without seller approval.

For the assignment contract, you can either find one online or write one up and ask an attorney to review it.  As long as you both sign a piece of paper stating you are assigning X contract dated XX-XX-XXXX  for $X .. then that is the minimum you need assuming everything goes smoothly.  All the other stuff you add is just to protect yourself and the seller since you want to make sure the end buyer maintains your same ethic values.

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Oct 31 2014, 03:06

Dev probably has a compliant contract, my comment was based on my Texas RE attorney's comments as to using the TREC forms. The Board of Realtors probably sells them, sometimes you can get or order state forms from the library. I doubt a title company would have blank forms, but they might, if they needed a new contract for some reason.

Starting off, I'd suggest you use standard contracts without al the stuff that may require the "investor friendly" title plant, use addendums (blank attachments to the basic contract) to modify to your needs. :) 

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 31 2014, 18:41

@Dev Horn thanks for the advice.

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 31 2014, 18:42

@Phil Z. I appreciate your input and will look into that.

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Jones
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bristol, CT
Replied Oct 31 2014, 18:43

Thanks @Bill Gulley 

User Stats

Votes
David Ward
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 1 2014, 02:34

@Darrell Jones  Hey man thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out.

@Bill Gulley  Thanks for the advice!