BiggerPockets

How to assign contract if offer from buyer is received in CAR form?

Forum Powered By:

3 posts by 3 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Luis Ontiveros

Del Mar, California

Jan 06 '12, 08:29 AM

I have a property under contract and I've received an offer from a buyer via C.A.R form (California Association of Realtors)

How would I handle the assignment? Do I just send the buyer the assignment of contract and ignore the C.A.R contract or do I sign both the C.A.R contract and the assignment of contract as well?

Thank you for your help.

Luis

Ned Carey Moderator

Wholesaler from Baltimore, Maryland

Jan 07 '12, 08:28 PM
1 vote

@Luis Ontiveros, I do not know the specific wording of the CAR form or your first contract. However in general when you are assigning a contract you are not selling the real estate you are selling the contract.

If you double close and take ownership of the property; then the CAR contract or other purchase and sale contract, would be appropriate for your agreement with your second buyer.

If you are not planning on closing on the property yourself, and just want your end buyer to take your place in the contract, then assigning your original contract is appropriate. In this situation you are as singing (or selling) your original contract. The CAR form probably would not be appropriate.

In either case you should make it clear in your agreement with the second buyer that you are not responsible if the original seller doesn't close.

I am not an attorney so do not consider this legal advice for your specific situation. It is just my laypersons understanding of contract law.

Ned Carey

Medium_crab1_copyNed Carey, Crab Properties LLC
http://baltimorerealestateinvestingblog.com/

Account Closed

Banker from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Jan 10 '12, 10:46 AM

If you have a contract with the seller, then you are assigning that contract to the buyer. The contract that buyer sent is just an offer and you do not need to worry about it - given that I've read your post correctly.

Alternatively, you could take an upfront fee from the buyer ("finder's fee") and then have the seller execute his contract too.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums