Using Real Estate to Escape the “9 to 5″ and Find True Freedom

by Engelo Rumora on August 17, 2014 · 17 comments

Have You Found Your FREEDOM, In Real Estate?

A few days ago I was out to lunch with a friend of mine and naturally our conversation soon directed itself to the topic of real estate.

We had been discussing his current position as a manager in the corporate banking world and how truly unhappy he had become; how his salary had remained the same for 3 years but his responsibilities had increased to the point he was going in to work on his day off just to keep up.

Why Working For Someone Else…Stinks!

He was really becoming jaded by the 60 hour work weeks with seemingly no reward.

As I sat listening to him, I could see the dull look in his eyes that had replaced the fire I had known. Over his career he had made his company over 2 million dollars and still had no ownership with increasing responsibility and no opportunity to “move up”.

It was actually hard for me to listen, not because I didn’t feel for him and his situation, but because I couldn’t relate. The concept of working for someone else, tied down to an office, someone else’s goals, someone else’s dreams, was completely foreign. Maybe I had been in real estate, working for myself, for too long. Maybe I was out of touch. It was then that I realized why I do what I do.

Related: How Real Estate Empowered Me to Buy a Lamborghini (And What It Means for YOU!)

This industry gives me freedom. Not just flexible work hours or the opportunity to be my own boss, true freedom! The amount of hours I put in is not directly related to the amount I am paid. The dreams I have for myself and the goals I have set in place for my family ARE attainable through this work. My retirement goals and my future financial security are all in my control and cannot be dictated by some HR department 500 miles away.

What Real Estate Should Be…

Working in real estate – as a broker, realtor, investor or an entrepreneur – is a lifestyle; One that I enjoy because of the quality relationships that I have built over the last 8 years.

Also, the unlimited potential for creating that lifestyle is absolutely up to you and your own effort. Just like anything else, the market has ups and downs, but people will always need a place to live whether they own the property or rent it out. I know I have real job security because you can’t remove a basic need.

Related: How to Protect Yourself When Real Estate Investments Fail

As my friend and I were parting, he told me that I was lucky because I never had to give up my dreams to work for someone else and I thanked him. I mean… what else was I going to say!?

Thinking about it, I do realize that going back each day is his choice. He could choose to step outside of his self-made box and start out on his own at a number of things. I made that choice when I was 18 and never looked back.

Sometimes the risk of letting go and the fear of failure hinder great things. Let’s face it: only a small percentage are able to get past that fear and make a go for their dreams on their own. Opportunities in Real Estate afford me and my family so many great things. The dreams I live each day are a direct result of my work which no one person or company can ever take away.

What are your dreams and goals?

How has Real Estate allowed you to be financially secure?

Be sure to leave your comments below!

Antonio Coleman August 17, 2014 at 8:59 am

Engelo,

Working for someone else is not my cup of tea also bro. But I understand it, and I teach people to go after their goals even if you do work for someone. You don’t have to quit your job if you know how to manage your time..heck i did it. While working making it your priority to get things done after work, so overtime you can tip toe out the back door. After a while people will say..where did Antonio go?

So it sucks, but when you want to be success as bad as the next person, then you will start the process of doing something about it.

Yo Engelo, what was the last job you had?

Antonio Coleman “Signing Off”

Engelo Rumora August 17, 2014 at 9:16 am

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for your comment and I hope your enjoying your Sunday.

I very wealthy man once told me, “9-5 is just survival, what you do before and after is what makes the difference”

The last job that I had before I started Real Estate full time was laboring on commercial construction sites in Sydney.

Thanks and have a great day.

Iain August 18, 2014 at 9:50 am

Great saying!!

Payden Miller August 17, 2014 at 9:47 am

Here’s my philosophy. I’ve come to realize that I wasn’t born rich and that I’m going to have to work hard in my life. Since I’m going to have to work hard anyway, I might as well work hard to produce results for myself and not my boss.

Engelo Rumora August 17, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Hi Payden,

Thanks for your comment.

“Here, Here” lol

When you work for yourself there is no limit to how much you can earn and how far you can go.

Being stuck in a 9-5 there will always be a limit.

Thanks and have a great day.

Fabio August 17, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Engelo I was really impressed with your post. I live in Italy, I just began study real estate market to get rid of employees 9-17 that actually I have.
According to your experience, the methodology applied in Australia can also operate in the European market?

Engelo Rumora August 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Ciao Fabio,

Grazie for your post :)

Can you please clarify what methodology you are referring to?

Maybe this quote answers your question “Make a passion an obsession and you will never work a day in your life”

Thanks and Forza Milan :)

Larry Russell August 17, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Engelo, this was an inspirational and motivational post all in one. Personally, it’s motivational for me as I’m working very hard to build my real estate business. Hopefully I will be in a place financially to quit my job if I choose to. Thanks for the timely post.

Engelo Rumora August 17, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your comment.

Keep pushing and eventually the mountain will give way :)

Thanks for reading.

Willie August 18, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hi Engelo

Thanks for this Article on having time freedom from a boss, I know that is what i’m striving for! And it’s up to me to carve my destiny. Congrats on your success, and many blessings to you and your family.

Thanks again.

Engelo Rumora August 18, 2014 at 9:35 am

Hi Willie,

Thanks for your comment.

Your kind words are much appreciated and many blessings to you and your family also.

Have a great day.

Levar August 18, 2014 at 10:19 am

Thank you for validating that I made the correct decision. Awesome!

Engelo Rumora August 18, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Pleasure Levar,

Have a great day.

Colin August 21, 2014 at 10:07 am

I am a military officer and was talking with one of my enlisted guys about rental properties. He has one, plus his home, and I have two in addition to my home. He said he could never do what I did (buy a pure investment, and plan to buy more) because he didn’t make that “big officer money.” He later told me how he and his wife like to spend money and they view their equity as a savings/retirement plan because he can’t just go withdraw it like cash.
It’s all about choices. I can buy houses because I save aggressively, don’t have the biggest TV or the newest car, or the nicest clothes. I live comfortably but not at or above my means.

Engelo Rumora August 22, 2014 at 5:40 am

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your comment.

It is very hard to achieve any level success without certain sacrifices. Before I bought my first investment property, I worked as a laborer on dirty construction sites in Sydney.

After 3 years of living a very frugal life I managed to save $40,000 and used that to propel me into property investing.

Don’t get caught up in what the crowd is saying, just stick to your plan and move forward.

I think your on the right track. Save as much as you can for investing, as those investments will later be supporting your lifestyle.

Thanks and have a great day.

Damian September 3, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Seeing how passionate you are about what you do, it’s no wonder you have a lot of success and make a lot of money! It’s clear that you were made to do this kind of work, to help people in this way. I also find it hard to listen to friends that are tied down to their jobs and have to work extra hours just to get by. This isn’t for me and stories like yours and motivating me to strive harder to find my own way.

Engelo Rumora September 6, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Hi Damian,

Thanks for your comment and kind words.

Many are afraid to step out of their comfort zone. If only they knew that, that’s were all of the magic happens.

Thanks and have a great day.