Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Transitioning to Dallas

Posted Apr 28 2024, 12:29

Hello, 

Background: 

I am 22 and will be moving to Dallas alone from June to August as I am starting my professional career in October. I graduate in May and will be taking 3 virtual classes to finalize my requirements to seat for a CPA exam in the summer. My plan at the moment is to live at uncles house to save money, finalize things I need to do in my location and find an apartment that has a short term lease of 6 months in Dallas. I have a 85k budget that I can use to dip my feet into real state. I am open to finding a house that needs a fix up, however I am concerned with my lack of experience in real state. Currently my plan is to either find a duplex, or a single family home and rent the other rooms. Below, i provided a few questions. 

Questions:

Would leasing 6 months be a bad idea? I can airbnb until I find a house. However, I know Dallas has a 30 day policy to register car into the state and it would put me in a tight schedule to find a house in 3 months. Nevertheless, leasing does feel like a waste of my money. As well as leasing without seeing the apartment in person does feel weird. However, getting to know the areas first sounds like it would have a future payoff. 

My other concern with leasing is that by the time the lease is done, i will be beginning my first busy season as an accountant while studying for the CPA. I can for sure make time to house hunt on weekends. Nevertheless, it will be a bit complicated. 

I've seen online that the housing market in Dallas is tricky at the moment and that interest rates are expected to remain the same for 2024. I am open to hear all perspectives. 

Lastly, in regards to advice something to mention is that I am open to sacrifice a lot in my young years as the goal is to learn as much as possible while i'm still young.

Loading replies...