Best way to get leads- Craigslist or direct mail?

Best way to get leads- Craigslist or direct mail?

Residential Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 29 posts · 2 votes

Hello,

I am wondering what you feel is the best way to get leads. Is it Craigslist, direct mail, open houses, blogging, etc? I am considering launching my first direct mailing campaign and plan to send to renters a buyers ad once a month for 3 months in a row. Does anyone have any advice? I greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks.

0Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 83 posts · 15 votes
15y

This is the exact posting that I have on CL and I got a TON of response from it...

WE ARE LOOKING FOR INVESTORS WITH EXPERIENCE IN QUICK CLOSINGS!
(Within 14 Days)

We work with a number of different sources that finds us some of the best OFF THE MARKET deals around in different locations throughout Metro Atlanta.

Bread and Butter homes in low-middle income areas(also high end homes), BUT NOT WAR ZONES(high crime)

If you are an ALL CASH buyer please feel free to contact us so we can start searching for deals that meets your criteria.
Let us know your interest and we will try to accommodate to your needs

Shoot us an email with "Cash Investor" as the subject with your interest.

Thank you very much for your time and have a blessed day. Hope to hear from you soon.
___
I usually stay along this guide line. I switch up the wording every time I post but through trial and error this post has gotten me the most response.

Hope this helps

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    CL, if you don't mind the spam that will follow. Stay consistant as well. Some days you will get nothing and others you will blow up. I've found that posting between 9:00 to 10:30am and 3:30 to 5:00pm are the best times.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 488 posts · 121 votes
    15y

    Don't even waste your money with direct mail. Craigslist has been by far a home run for leads for me. Although I do target a small niche market, it works very well (and its free).

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 83 posts · 15 votes
    15y

    I agree, CL is a goldmine. I agree with both Danny and Keenan, if you are consistent then the deals and leads will follow. I'm fairly new and have done 2 deals using CL alone. I spend about 45 minutes writing and posting to CL daily and I add at least 4 buyers a week added to my list...

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 29 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    Wow great advice guys thanks. Do your ads just offer your services? Or do you point the readers to your website? If you are just pitching your services what phrases or keywords seem to be the most effective?

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 83 posts · 15 votes
    15y

    This is the exact posting that I have on CL and I got a TON of response from it...

    WE ARE LOOKING FOR INVESTORS WITH EXPERIENCE IN QUICK CLOSINGS!
    (Within 14 Days)

    We work with a number of different sources that finds us some of the best OFF THE MARKET deals around in different locations throughout Metro Atlanta.

    Bread and Butter homes in low-middle income areas(also high end homes), BUT NOT WAR ZONES(high crime)

    If you are an ALL CASH buyer please feel free to contact us so we can start searching for deals that meets your criteria.
    Let us know your interest and we will try to accommodate to your needs

    Shoot us an email with "Cash Investor" as the subject with your interest.

    Thank you very much for your time and have a blessed day. Hope to hear from you soon.
    ___
    I usually stay along this guide line. I switch up the wording every time I post but through trial and error this post has gotten me the most response.

    Hope this helps

  • Real Estate Investor · North Branford, CT · Member since 2011 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Jeffery, could you get in contact with me. I have a few questions about CL.

    George

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    CL is the best option. Just familiarize yourself with CL posting terms. To frequent posting from the same IP and email can get your IP blocked. Whenever I post I receive good response but often time experience what posters call "ghost posting" This is when you receive confirmation your ad has posted; however, when you search on CL your ad is not there.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    CL does have a lot of eyeballs.
    You will still need some sort of call to action though...

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbia, MD · Member since 2011 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    I use Both craigslist and direct mail (yellow letters only). I have to admit I do get alot of calls from craigslist matter of fact im about to put a house under contract soon from someone that saw my houses on craigslist.For my letter yellow campaign i target expired listings from the MLS and owners of Vacant houses I find on the housing code violation sites.

  • Wholesaler · Washington, D.C · Member since 2011 · 449 posts · 94 votes
    15y

    I agree CL is the way to go, I never got a response from someone doing direct mail.

    Jeffery - get in contact with me, I have a property in ATL that we may be able to do something with.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 52 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    CL has been my main source of leads for the last 2 years for both leases and sales. I stay in touch with my leases and some of some convert to sales the following year and some just lease another house depends on their credit condition

    As anything in real estate, you have to be consistent and respond fast to the leads otherwise they will call the next ad

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 127 posts · 10 votes
    14y

    my suggestion is to do all of the above, no magic pill as best result rather than different ways to generate new leads and business.

  • Real Estate Agent · Winter haven, FL · Member since 2011 · 572 posts · 336 votes
    14y

    My most successful marketing has come from neither of those.

    What I did was buy a roll of a 1,000 custom 5" x 3.5" stickers that read Avoid Foreclosure & Save Your Credit! We Buy Houses! Any Condition, Situation or Location... Then it includes a QR Code, my phone number and website. I took these stickers and placed them at gas stations on every pump. Think about how many people pump gas daily and then think about how long a person stands there waiting for the gas to finishing pumping. Plus the gas stations have any from 8-32 pumps and you will have 1,000 stickers for only $100. This would be better for you to try.

    Direct mail, you will pay about $700-$1,500 to mail to a list of about 300 people 20 will call you, 15 will have unrealistic expectations 4 will be short sales 1 will be a deal but surely something will be wrong(too many repairs, war zones, listed, etc) or you may close the deal but you will make about $2,500-$5,000 and have to pump that back into another mailing champagne.

    Craigslist, I still use since it is free but you have to be on top of it in order for it to work. There are times of the day and month were you will see better results. At the end of the month about the last week and posting from about 7:00am-9:00am and 5:00pm-9:00pm. I use to hate it because you do get a lot of spam the solution, post anonymous, don't write you email any were in the ad(only telephone number). I use many different ads, links, and pictures etc.. I have found that write a clear ad of what you are looking will prevent tire kickers from posting. Lately I have been lazy make simple ads that say;

    Avoid Foreclosure & Save Your Credit

    We Buy Houses Cash or Term!

    Realtor Can't Sell? Time For Plan B

    Sell Me Your Debt!!!

    Then when you open it it has a screen shot of my squeeze page form or a simple hyper link to my site LakelandSellFaster.webstarts.com

    Keep it simple and in expensive... FYI Bandit signs Suck expensive considering they won't even last 2 days on the street

  • Portsmouth, OH · Member since 2009 · 198 posts · 54 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Manny Cirino:
    My most successful marketing has come from neither of those.

    What I did was buy a roll of a 1,000 custom 5" x 3.5" stickers that read Avoid Foreclosure & Save Your Credit! We Buy Houses! Any Condition, Situation or Location... Then it includes a QR Code, my phone number and website. I took these stickers and placed them at gas stations on every pump. Think about how many people pump gas daily and then think about how long a person stands there waiting for the gas to finishing pumping. Plus the gas stations have any from 8-32 pumps and you will have 1,000 stickers for only $100. This would be better for you to try.

    Direct mail, you will pay about $700-$1,500 to mail to a list of about 300 people 20 will call you, 15 will have unrealistic expectations 4 will be short sales 1 will be a deal but surely something will be wrong(too many repairs, war zones, listed, etc) or you may close the deal but you will make about $2,500-$5,000 and have to pump that back into another mailing champagne.

    Craigslist, I still use since it is free but you have to be on top of it in order for it to work. There are times of the day and month were you will see better results. At the end of the month about the last week and posting from about 7:00am-9:00am and 5:00pm-9:00pm. I use to hate it because you do get a lot of spam the solution, post anonymous, don't write you email any were in the ad(only telephone number). I use many different ads, links, and pictures etc.. I have found that write a clear ad of what you are looking will prevent tire kickers from posting. Lately I have been lazy make simple ads that say;

    Avoid Foreclosure & Save Your Credit

    We Buy Houses Cash or Term!

    Realtor Can't Sell? Time For Plan B

    Sell Me Your Debt!!!

    Then when you open it it has a screen shot of my squeeze page form or a simple hyper link to my site LakelandSellFaster.webstarts.com

    Keep it simple and in expensive... FYI Bandit signs Suck expensive considering they won't even last 2 days on the street

    Your sticker idea is pretty cool. I use something similar to that when advertising at gas stations. I buy $100 bill drop cards. I place my message inside the fake money; they look like a real $100 dollar bill. I then place the fake $100 dollar bill in the credit card slot. The fake $100 dollar bill is very noticeable and will always get someone’s attention. I also drop them everywhere I go and have even used them as a business card. It’s very entertaining to drop some and watch people stop to pick them up; I always get a laugh out of it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Winter haven, FL · Member since 2011 · 572 posts · 336 votes
    14y

    LoL!!! I'm laughing just thinking about. I have actually fallen for those myself, I must say it is quit pain full when you realize it's a fake.

  • Rehabber / Flipper · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 597 posts · 259 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Manny Cirino:
    I took these stickers and placed them at gas stations on every pump. Think about how many people pump gas daily and then think about how long a person stands there waiting for the gas to finishing pumping.

    Creative idea, but this sounds like vandalism to me.

  • Real Estate Agent · Winter haven, FL · Member since 2011 · 572 posts · 336 votes
    14y

    Oh no vandalism! Sound like you drive Prius. You can call it what you want but when I started out my budget was very tight it's no different then posting bandit signs. Have you noticed all the ads already at pumps? Since there stickers they blend in well

  • Real Estate Investor · Jamaica Queens, NY · Member since 2011 · 42 posts · 9 votes
    14y

    How good is Craigslist for closing i.e. actually buying a house vs direct mail here in NYC? Has anyone actually pulled this off? I can understand the buyer ads. If a shark even thinks they smell blood they go for it not really that hard or impressive to get investors to call you on a craigslist ad lol. Whether it be legit or a 'bait 'n' switch'....hell I call on these ads all the time, but their almost never what they actually say they are, and if they are its an auction or its under contract already, or they don't deal with investors, so many annoying excuses lol. I always say to those people 'mixing feelings and business is a great way to stay broke but you must like that feeling' or 'you don't deal with money, I thought you were in the business of selling houses but apparently your a social work who likes monopoly money that's interesting tell me more'....lol just ways I like to play around with those guys if your gonna jerk me I'm gonna jerk you but anyway........

    I like both the fake money and and sticker ideas though, both worth at least a 'litmus test'. Also someone pulling deals of craigslist i.e. actually buying property at a discount...enlightenment please lol.

  • Real Estate Investor · Jamaica Queens, NY · Member since 2011 · 42 posts · 9 votes
    14y

    ???

  • Real Estate Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    14y

    Could there be any SEC issues with posting an ad asking for investors?

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 488 posts · 121 votes
    14y

    I closed 3 deals last month I landed off craigslist. All good people, and have all said they will do future real estate business with me from now on.

    Auctually I am so tied up right now, I am not taking on any more buyers clients. I have had much success getting leads for buyers on craigslist, but not sellers.

    I would say that I closed 60% of the people I met with from craigslist.

    I would have closed 4 this past month, but 1 fell through due to my buyer getting laid off. That one was out of both of our hands.

    I've also already started working with a friend of the person I found on craigslist..

    Free marketing is the best marketing!

    Danny

  • Real Estate Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    14y

    @Danny Day Nice work man! I use CL ads now for finding buyers. Can you post a sample of one of your ads or PM me with one or two? I post right now for We Buy Houses and have connected with a lot of people so far. Finding a good deal with a seller is much harder than finding buyers. Using multiple approaches for that.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 488 posts · 121 votes
    14y

    I've found craigslist works wonders if you know how to work it. I spent months trying to advertise "lead capture pages" in the real estate - services section.

    It worked, but it would post 10 ads per day and get maybe 1-5 leads per week. It was not enough, and these were for leases.. not real buyers.

    I started listening in on some webinars from other agents who use craigslist, youtube, etc to market homes to generate leads.

    I put my own system together, and it works very well. I've noticed other agents doing it on cragislist also. I think I'm to the point where I am done advertising on craigslist for buyers, due to my leads rolling in from past clients.

    If you really want a jump start in leads, do this:

    1. Find a HUD home for sale in your area, that looks very nice in the pictures. Make sure it is a good deal, run comparables, etc on it.

    2. Contact the broker and ask them if you can advertise the home for them to bring a buyer. They won't care, and will encourage it. Also, most HUD agent remarks states all agents may advertise the property.

    3. Go on craigslist, and instead of posting in the "Services" section, post "Homes For Sale - By Broker"

    4. Add the nicest pictures of the house, and include a catchy subject with price.. and if you want add UNDERVALUED, GOOD DEAL, ETC

    5. In the description page, copy what the MLS says for description, and then underneath that go 2 spaces and put.. Contact me for more information at 123-456-7890. Go 2 lines down and then put "Listing provided courtsey of XYZ Broker."

    6. Post 5-10 of these per day and see which ones get the phone ringing.

    I promise you if you do this, you will help other agents out, get homes sold, and get free buyers leads.

    What I did was track the homes I would post in a spreadsheet, and write down each time someone called about a specific home. So I would have 1 home that 15 people called on, and 1 home that 0 people called in on. I would start posting the one that generates leads more than the one that doesn't.

    Guess what, NAR statistics say that upwards of 85% of buyers will stick with the 1st buyers agent they work with. EVEN if they don't buy the home you meet them to look at, you're most likely the first agent they have worked with.

    Jack pot :cool:

    Danny

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 29 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    Danny,

    Nice tip! However I read that to even show a HUD home you need to have a NAID number and getting one looks like a pain in the.... Do you have one? Do you actually even show these homes or just use it as a conversation starter? Do you know if you need a NAID # to advertise these homes?

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 488 posts · 121 votes
    14y

    You shouldn't need the NAID for advertising HUD homes, but you need one to submit offers on HUD homes.

    Yes, I do show HUD homes and have closed deals that I've advertised on craigslist.

    Did you ask your broker if they have a NAID?

    Good luck

    Danny

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.