Closed on #2!

Closed on #2!

Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes

I finally got the closing documents, and deed is recorded!

I found this property on Craigslist, 3bd 2 ba 1500 sqft owner financed. Terms are 46000 at 9.5 at 20 years. ARV is 80000. I plan to hold as a rental. Rents are from 700-900.

This property is in Iowa Park, Texas.

This property was attractive because of the cost to get into it , 1000 down, 400 closing cost. I already have a property in the same town.

Roof is good, all brick siding, newer AC. Plumbing is good.

Property was full of stuff as well, but clean out was done before seller listed it. Thank goodness!

Now the fun starts with the rehab. I have budgeted 15000-20000.  

Plans are:

Replace flooring with tile throughout.

Rehab bathrooms replace vanities and massive cleaning where needed we will try to salvage tile on icky shower.

Repair drywall and paint all rooms replace doors. install new ceiling fans.

Replace/repair cabinets in kitchen, new countertops, sink, faucet, backsplash.

Here are the before pics!

Yeahhh its pretty bad

The houses are out there!!!

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Sebastopol, CA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 14 votes
10y

Congrats Mary lou! That looks like a lot of rehab work. I do wonder if 15 - 20k will cut it. 

Keep us posted on your progress with this one. 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Becker, MN · Member since 2014 · 144 posts · 82 votes
    10y

    Wowsers @Mary lou L.!  Congratulations?  

    I'm sure most investors were scared off by the condition.  A 20K repair budget seems lite to me.  Are you doing the work yourself?  

    If your numbers are right you have a nice rental property for very little down...nice job!  In a year you could refinance to get more attractive interest rates, take some equity out, and do it again!

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y

    @Tim JohnsonI have a contractor who I am working closely with. He is great about keeping costs down!

    The plan is to refinance in 6 months, I would hope at least to cover some repairs, and have some leftover to get another one!

  • Sebastopol, CA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Congrats Mary lou! That looks like a lot of rehab work. I do wonder if 15 - 20k will cut it. 

    Keep us posted on your progress with this one. 

  • Fort Mc Coy, FL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    If your mechanicals are good you should be okay on your budget. Congratulations.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y

    I would love to demolish that fire place and open up the kitchen..but for now it stays.

    Im thinking of painting it...any ideas?

    Thanks!

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    fix and hold at low cost entry.i like the business model

    Congratulations @Mary lou L.

  • Fort Mc Coy, FL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mary lou L.:

    I would love to demolish that fire place and open up the kitchen..but for now it stays.

    Im thinking of painting it...any ideas?

    Thanks!

    That is a monster of a fireplace. If you did anything right now, I would probably tear off the rock face and just put sheetrock all around it with a smaller mantel. That would open the wall in the kitchen to enable another cabinet but it would at least make the living area seem less consumed by the fireplace and would make it more modern looking which would make your appraisal come out a little better when you refi and would help you get better tenants because it would look more attractive. Good luck.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y

     Some progress pics.

    Fireplace was removed, I had decided to reface it, but upon demo sheetrock underneath was damaged. This added about 4X8 to the  room!

    Turns out the surround had been placed over a window! A hole was cut to let in the light!

    The plans are to have the tub repaired and refinished.

    Still lots to do!

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y

    Progress in kitchen!

    Its coming along!!

    Tile is going down now! Will  post more pics!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Nice work on the repair. Much like the other users, I was a bit unsure about the budget you mentioned against the amount of work that needs to be done. Good job on removing the fireplace, it does offer some extra space. How much have you spent as of now?

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 10 votes
    10y
    Awesome job! Can't wait to see the finished product !! Good luck
  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y

    Refinshed tub and new vanity. Tiled walls and painted! Was going to replace the floor, but it is in good condition, and with the matching tile strip I think it works.

    Its so hard to not get carried away with fixtures on a rental.

  • Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Nice job!  Did you paint the kitchen cabinets or install new?

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y

    @Lisa Monnig

    The cabinets were painted, and going to add new hardware.

    Here are the latest from the kitchen...

    LOL and you can see the ceiling fans in the background...I got those because of the shatterproof bowl!

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 123 votes
    10y

    I really like how the little windows on this pic I found, at the top look!...If I had more in the budget I think I would have this done too! I was looking for more idea of white cabinets with black countertops.

  • Real Estate Agent · Doylestown, PA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Wow the place looks awesome @Mary lou L.

    I know this is an older thread but do you have any final after pics? Did you find a tenant?

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 601 votes
    10y

    Wow @Mary lou L. . I'd say that was quite the fixer upper. Like the renos though. Congrats.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.