Look for investor friendly contractors

Look for investor friendly contractors

Antonio Ward JrPro Member
Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 13 votes

Good Morning BP members,

I am starting my real estate journey and I am pursing the BRRRR method. I am currently in the process of viewing and narrowing down properties I find interest in that would be a good deal. I am looking for some investor friendly contractors to gain some bids on my upcoming project? I would love to build and create some connections. Let's Connect!

2Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Stuart UdisPro Member
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11mo

What qualifies a contractor as being "investor friendly"?  For me, "Investor Friendly" means being licensed, ability to pull all permits, good communicator, is on top of their subcontractor contract management, makes sure I get insurance certificates and endorsements from all subcontractors listing me  as additional insured under their policies, honors warranties, has credit accounts at supply houses and can work well with my bank draw schedules,  is willing to approach me when there are issues rather than cut corners to "stay on budget". These contractors will cost more but are going to be the contractors you want to align with for the long run. Using them may kill deals but if the only reason why the deal pencils is because the investor is willing to use the cheapest contractor, its likely not a property worth purchasing. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeremy MelloulPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 83 votes
    1y

    Hey Antonio, Are you looking to invest locally in Detroit?  I'd recommend finding an investor-friendly agent to work with locally. Not only will they find you the deal, but they can typically refer you to some contractors.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Antonio Ward Jr at the risk of being accused of self-promoting, we do have a lot of info & tools at our wwwsite:)

    You won't really find contractors, except a few that are also flippers or landlords.

    You can try asking to join the invite-only FB Group: Metro Detroit Real Estate Investors, but we haven't had any recent success finding affordable/quality contractors there in awhile.

    We find most our guys by networking.

    DM us if you'd like to chat more:)

  • Contractor · Katy, TX · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Congrats on starting your BRRRR journey — love to see people getting after it the right way. I'm not based in Detroit (I'm in Houston), but I run Blue Heart Construction, and I work with a lot of out-of-state investors doing flips and BRRRRs here in Texas.

    If you ever expand markets or connect with anyone looking in Houston/Katy/Cypress areas, I’d be happy to help or offer some insight on local rehab numbers and contractor expectations.

    Wishing you a solid first deal and a strong team up there in Detroit — feel free to connect anytime. Always down to build the network.

  • Handyman · Detroit mi · Member since 2025 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    I'm a carpenter I'm located in Detroit Michigan 

  • Shane J. RenardBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Green Bay WI · Member since 2021 · 65 posts · 28 votes
    11mo

    @Antonio Ward Jr 
    Do you buy in the Wisconsin area? Green Bay, Milwaukee, Appleton communities. If not, you should look into these markets. They have been profitable for us and many other investors. 

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    What qualifies a contractor as being "investor friendly"?  For me, "Investor Friendly" means being licensed, ability to pull all permits, good communicator, is on top of their subcontractor contract management, makes sure I get insurance certificates and endorsements from all subcontractors listing me  as additional insured under their policies, honors warranties, has credit accounts at supply houses and can work well with my bank draw schedules,  is willing to approach me when there are issues rather than cut corners to "stay on budget". These contractors will cost more but are going to be the contractors you want to align with for the long run. Using them may kill deals but if the only reason why the deal pencils is because the investor is willing to use the cheapest contractor, its likely not a property worth purchasing. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    A contractor is a business owner, they should protect their margins like any operator protects their margins.

  • Charles ClarkBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 306 posts · 209 votes
    11mo

    @Antonio Ward Jr

    Good morning and welcome to the journey!The BRRRR method is a great way to build long-term wealth. If you're looking for investor-friendly contractors or reliable contacts for your upcoming projects, I'd be happy to connect and share some resources. Let's team up and make your first deal a win!

    Raise the Standard RE LLC55 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.