Cost Effective Land Clearing

Cost Effective Land Clearing

Rental Property Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 10 votes

I have  3 treed lots(.3/.4/1.4 acres) in 30316 area of Atlanta,  and looking for a cost effective land clearing company once building permits are approved. Thanks in advance.

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Henry ClarkPro Member
Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y

OP do you have pictures?  Could be $5,000 per property up to $20,000 per property.  

1. Check do any tree coverage rules with the City.  

2.  Survey property to make sure it is your tree no matter the fence line.  

3. Locate sewer, old septic tanks,  and water lines.  

4.  Look at water flow path on and of the property.  Don’t divert location without neighbor permission. 

5.  If you like having fun, rent a midsize excavator dig out one side and push.  Make sure you have insurance.  Or if you get someone make sure they have insurance.  

6.  Can you burn?  Can you put a free sign for firewood.  Cut to logs and move near access.  See if you can sell large logs to Pallet company.  They will cut and haul off. 

7.  Where is a dump or recycling center?  This will determine a lot of your cost.  

8. If in the right place your property will be worth more with some trees.  

Google and ask around.  You will get wildly different quotes.  Have an itemized   Otherwise your bill will go out of control and you won’t know why.


See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    OP do you have pictures?  Could be $5,000 per property up to $20,000 per property.  

    1. Check do any tree coverage rules with the City.  

    2.  Survey property to make sure it is your tree no matter the fence line.  

    3. Locate sewer, old septic tanks,  and water lines.  

    4.  Look at water flow path on and of the property.  Don’t divert location without neighbor permission. 

    5.  If you like having fun, rent a midsize excavator dig out one side and push.  Make sure you have insurance.  Or if you get someone make sure they have insurance.  

    6.  Can you burn?  Can you put a free sign for firewood.  Cut to logs and move near access.  See if you can sell large logs to Pallet company.  They will cut and haul off. 

    7.  Where is a dump or recycling center?  This will determine a lot of your cost.  

    8. If in the right place your property will be worth more with some trees.  

    Google and ask around.  You will get wildly different quotes.  Have an itemized   Otherwise your bill will go out of control and you won’t know why.


  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Joseph:

    I have  3 treed lots(.3/.4/1.4 acres) in 30316 area of Atlanta,  and looking for a cost effective land clearing company once building permits are approved. Thanks in advance.


     do you have a tree schedule? there are two types of clearing. Brush and large trees. Two different companies. those lots aren't that big but if you have thick timber it's going to be hard. Call 4-5 companies, meet with 3, go with best quote. Ask them what equipment they have. You want someone with a dump truck, bobcat, and excavator. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    OP do you have pictures?  Could be $5,000 per property up to $20,000 per property.  

    1. Check do any tree coverage rules with the City.  

    2.  Survey property to make sure it is your tree no matter the fence line.  

    3. Locate sewer, old septic tanks,  and water lines.  

    4.  Look at water flow path on and of the property.  Don’t divert location without neighbor permission. 

    5.  If you like having fun, rent a midsize excavator dig out one side and push.  Make sure you have insurance.  Or if you get someone make sure they have insurance.  

    6.  Can you burn?  Can you put a free sign for firewood.  Cut to logs and move near access.  See if you can sell large logs to Pallet company.  They will cut and haul off. 

    7.  Where is a dump or recycling center?  This will determine a lot of your cost.  

    8. If in the right place your property will be worth more with some trees.  

    Google and ask around.  You will get wildly different quotes.  Have an itemized   Otherwise your bill will go out of control and you won’t know why.



     Thank you Henry!

  • Rental Property Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Robert Ellis:
    Quote from @Andrew Joseph:

    I have  3 treed lots(.3/.4/1.4 acres) in 30316 area of Atlanta,  and looking for a cost effective land clearing company once building permits are approved. Thanks in advance.


     do you have a tree schedule? there are two types of clearing. Brush and large trees. Two different companies. those lots aren't that big but if you have thick timber it's going to be hard. Call 4-5 companies, meet with 3, go with best quote. Ask them what equipment they have. You want someone with a dump truck, bobcat, and excavator. 


     Thank you Robert!

  • WY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 49 votes
    1y

    I always rent an excavator and do it myself.. much cheaper than what the guys around here charge. Excavator rental will cost you $300-500/day, or about 1200/week usually. I have a video on yt here showing how to clear and grade with a mini excavator, forest lot on a slope. The size of the trees will typically determine the size of machine you need. I know a guy with a dump truck that I hire to haul everything off, he gives me a good rate. In all I end up saving maybe 20-40% on the job depending on how much I pay myself in labor. If you dont have time to do it yourself, you can usually rent the equipment and hire an operator hourly for less than what a full service company will charge you. Just gotta put some effort into finding the operator. A post on FB marketplace usually gets good repsonses where I am.

  • Rental Property Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 10 votes
    1y

    Thank you Brady definitely something to consider. I'm not local but may be worth a trip and 1 week off clearing the lots if I can save some money. What's that YT channel called? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Joseph:

    Thank you Brady definitely something to consider. I'm not local but may be worth a trip and 1 week off clearing the lots if I can save some money. What's that YT channel called? 


     Just saw it in your bio.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 381 posts · 134 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brady Morgan:

    I always rent an excavator and do it myself.. much cheaper than what the guys around here charge. Excavator rental will cost you $300-500/day, or about 1200/week usually. I have a video on yt here showing how to clear and grade with a mini excavator, forest lot on a slope. The size of the trees will typically determine the size of machine you need. I know a guy with a dump truck that I hire to haul everything off, he gives me a good rate. In all I end up saving maybe 20-40% on the job depending on how much I pay myself in labor. If you dont have time to do it yourself, you can usually rent the equipment and hire an operator hourly for less than what a full service company will charge you. Just gotta put some effort into finding the operator. A post on FB marketplace usually gets good repsonses where I am.


     I agree, this is DIY or pay way too much, tree permit link is below:

    https://www.atlantaga.gov/government/departments/department-...

  • WY · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 49 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Joseph:
    Quote from @Andrew Joseph:

    Thank you Brady definitely something to consider. I'm not local but may be worth a trip and 1 week off clearing the lots if I can save some money. What's that YT channel called? 


     Just saw it in your bio.

    Yeah sorry, tried to leave the link but for some reason it didnt work. Glad you found it though! Another thing I want to mention for getting rid of the trees and dirt, I often can get rid of most of it just by posting "free dirt and fire wood,  you haul away" on a local FB group or marketplace and ill just leave it out by the road.

  • Rental Property Investor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ericka Parrott:
    Quote from @Brady Morgan:

    I always rent an excavator and do it myself.. much cheaper than what the guys around here charge. Excavator rental will cost you $300-500/day, or about 1200/week usually. I have a video on yt here showing how to clear and grade with a mini excavator, forest lot on a slope. The size of the trees will typically determine the size of machine you need. I know a guy with a dump truck that I hire to haul everything off, he gives me a good rate. In all I end up saving maybe 20-40% on the job depending on how much I pay myself in labor. If you dont have time to do it yourself, you can usually rent the equipment and hire an operator hourly for less than what a full service company will charge you. Just gotta put some effort into finding the operator. A post on FB marketplace usually gets good repsonses where I am.


     I agree, this is DIY or pay way too much, tree permit link is below:

    https://www.atlantaga.gov/government/departments/department-...


     Definitely way too much to pay for land clearing.

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    OP. Send pictures.  There may be other options. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.