• Real Estate Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
Looking For Financing for Airbnb property in Jersey City

Mardochee Pierre
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New York City, NY
Posted Jul 24 2015, 13:30
Jersey City hotel tax expanded to include Airbnb, other short-term rental services

1 / 7

Candice Osbourne addresses the crowd during Steven Fulop's official headquarters opening on Jan. 12, 2013 located at 2175 Kennedy Blvd., on the corner of Morton Place. Alyssa Ki/The Jersey Journal

The Jersey Journal

PrintEmail

Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey JournalBy Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on April 08, 2015 at 7:46 PM

JERSEY CITY -- Tourists renting Jersey City rooms using sites like Airbnb will now pay the city's 6 percent hotel tax, thanks to a measure given final adoption by the City Council tonight.

The bill, spearheaded by Ward E Councilwoman Candice Osborne, essentially closes a "loophole" that allows tourists to visit Jersey City without having to pay hotel taxes, Osborne said.

Jarl Haugedal, who lives in the Van Vorst Park area of Downtown Jersey City, voiced his objections to the council prior to the vote. Haugedal, who used to own 50 apartments citywide that he rented to tourists on a short-term basis, thinks the council is dreaming of additional revenue but will end up seeing less.

"People don't want to pay an extra 6 percent," he told The Jersey Journal. "They'll go to Hoboken or Bayonne instead."

Osborne said she doubts that will happen. Tourists choose Jersey City because of its proximity to New York and because prices here are cheaper than they are in Manhattan, she said.

"Bayonne can't really replicate that," Osborne told The Jersey Journal, adding that Hoboken does have a PATH station but Jersey City has three Downtown.

The tax would apply to bed and breakfasts, motels, inns, rooming houses and other similar places where tenants are staying for no more than 90 days.

"I don't feel people are going to change their plans based on a 6 percent hotel tax," Osborne said.

The council voted 8 to 1 to adopt the measure, with Ward C Councilman Rich Boggiano voting against. Boggiano said he fears the tax will burden homeowners who rent out rooms on a temporary basis.

"It's just another form of taxation on the small people again and it's ridiculous," he said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Fellow biggerpocketers,

I hope the article above was informative enough in regards to short-term rentals Jersey City. I am looking for a loan of $8,000 (Private Money)  to acquire an apartment in Jersey City . This loan would be used to purchase furniture , bathroom & kitchen materials and bedding.  I plan on advertising on VRBO, Airbnb and Homeaway. I chose Jersey City as place to do short term rentals because New York City is extremely against Airbnb and any other kind of short term rental business.  The cost of living in Jersey City is much lower and by train (NJ Path train) it is closer than most Parts of Brooklyn, Queens , Staten Island and the Bronx.  I have posted some information in regards to Airbnb and Jersey city below. 

Jersey City, New Jersey - Airbnb Data and Analytics - June 2015 1. http://www.airdna.co/city/us/new-jersey/jersey-cit...
Jersey City, New Jersey
  • Jersey City: Central Railroad Terminal, Jersey City, NJ

• Jersey City: Statue of Liverty viewed from Liberty State Park, Jersey City, NJ

• Jersey City: Light rail passing new town houses on Essex Street downtown.

• Jersey City: Our Lady of Victories Chruch - Jersey City

• Jersey City: View from Liberty State Park

• Jersey City: Liberty

• Jersey City: Near Westside ave

• Jersey City: Sunset in Jersey City, NJ

• Jersey City: Liberty

• Jersey City

• Jersey City: Rouute 440

• see
    more
  • add
    your

Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
See promotion details and to upload your Jersey City, New Jersey photos

• OSM Map
  • General Map
  • Google Map
  • MSN Map

+- Leaflet | Data, imagery and map information provided by MapQuest, OpenStreetMapand contributors, CC-BY-SA

Cloudy, Hot82

Looking for