Reimbursing tenant for unusable bathroom?

Reimbursing tenant for unusable bathroom?

Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 5 votes

Hi all ,

Our downstairs tenant reached out because their bathroom ceiling had water damage and was leaking, come to find out the upstairs toilet has been loose and leaking which we were not aware of unfortunately.

My husband plans to resolve the issue this weekend but we will need to take up old flooring and put down new flooring. He plans to get it done over the weekend but the bathroom will not be usable and it’s a 1 bath unit.

Should we reimburse the tenant at all for not being able to stay there ? I figured 100$ is fair which is the daily cost of rent for 3 days. We have never encountered an issue like this before so not sure what the norm is ?

2Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

If someone gave me a gift card and told me to shower at the rec center, I'd make their life hell. 

A one bathroom without the bathroom is not legally habitable. I'd take (rent/30 days)x(number of days without a bathroom) as the starting point for a credit. I'd add a little on top of it for the inconvenience. 

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.