Dallas Appraisal Protest — Take Offer or Keep Fighting?

Dallas Appraisal Protest — Take Offer or Keep Fighting?

Investor · Dallas · Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 9 votes

Hey everyone,

I’m a landlord in Dallas County and recently submitted evidence to protest my 2025 property valuation with the Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD).

The initial valuation was $690,770, and I just received an email offering a reduced value of $650,000 if I respond with consent. If I don’t reply, the case moves forward to an Appraisal Review Board (ARB) hearing automatically.

They mentioned I don’t need to sign anything — just reply to the email if I want to accept the reduced offer. Please see attached for full email.

Context:

  • - I purchased the property for $530,000 in February 2023 (about 26 months ago)

  • - I submitted the following to DCAD:

    • - A signed closing disclosure

    • - The final settlement statement

    • - A written statement noting that, although the purchase was 26 months ago, it still reflects real market value and should be considered in context with current condition

  • - I don’t have additional comps at the moment

My Goal:

I’m trying to reduce my property taxes as much as possible.

Would you accept the $650K offer, or go to the hearing to try for something lower?

Has anyone gone through the ARB process in Dallas County and have advice or insights on strategy?

Appreciate the help — thank you!

1Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Go to have an informal discussion with an appraiser.  You do have to make an appointment.  Pull the values for other similar properties if they support your case.  Get their evidence as well.  Get the run sheet in person at the appraisal district.  These are not online.  Make sure it is accurate in your favor (like size is correct).

    They won't tell us, but I expect the online requests have a limit as to how much they can reduce.  I've heard numbers like 5%.

    Good luck.  I would fight more.  It may not only help you this year, but also for every year after today.

  • Property Manager · Dallas/Ft. Worth · Member since 2024 · 70 posts · 32 votes
    1y

    Hi Jamaal,

    You're definitely doing the right thing by protesting!

    Based on what you shared, $650K is a decent reduction from the original $690K, but it’s still about $120K above your purchase price from just a little over two years ago. In Dallas County, it’s not uncommon for DCAD to "float" values higher unless you really push back at the ARB hearing.

    If your main goal is to minimize your taxes as much as possible, and you're willing to spend a little more time on it, I would personally recommend proceeding to the ARB hearing. At the hearing, you can present your 2023 purchase price and argue that even with some market appreciation, a jump to $690K (or even $650K) is excessive compared to your actual market value.

    Also, I wouldn't stress too much about not having a ton of comps, your recent closing disclosure and settlement statement are strong evidence, especially if you emphasize the property's current condition hasn’t materially changed. Sometimes, just showing up and being prepared can move the needle in your favor.

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.