Managing Cash Flow While Planning for Portfolio Growth

Managing Cash Flow While Planning for Portfolio Growth

Real Estate Broker · Member since 2025 · 196 posts · 79 votes

Many landlords balance current cash flow with flexibility for future acquisitions.

How are you structuring rentals today to keep options open for tomorrow?

0Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
7mo

I hold the property long enough for two things to happen.  The order doesn't matter:

1) When accumulated CF is =/+ than the cash I put in (the DP).  This means I have recovered all my cost, and all CF and profits are pure profit to me.  I have a free property since the tenant is buying it for me.

2) When the appreciation is equal to the initial DP (the equity I paid for).  This means when I flip it (now), I will walk away with twice what I started with, and it's all profit since the CF (see item #1) has recovered all my cost.

This is the point where I will have my maximum profit.  Holding this property longer will decrease that profit (as in losing money) by the day.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7mo

    I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

    I have sufficient amount of paid for rentals that allows me to pay cash for new acquisitions.

    I buy cash at auctions or find distressed properties or motivated sellers where I can buy for pennies on the dollar in a booming market.

    I love buying houses in my self directed ROTH IRA so that I don't owe tax on the rental income.

    I don't buy properties on MLS or Zillow.com so I almost never need a Realtor.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7mo

    I hold the property long enough for two things to happen.  The order doesn't matter:

    1) When accumulated CF is =/+ than the cash I put in (the DP).  This means I have recovered all my cost, and all CF and profits are pure profit to me.  I have a free property since the tenant is buying it for me.

    2) When the appreciation is equal to the initial DP (the equity I paid for).  This means when I flip it (now), I will walk away with twice what I started with, and it's all profit since the CF (see item #1) has recovered all my cost.

    This is the point where I will have my maximum profit.  Holding this property longer will decrease that profit (as in losing money) by the day.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    One thing that saved me: set up separate accounts for each property's reserves and future acquisitions. I keep 6 months expenses per unit in reserves, then everything else flows to the acquisition fund. Makes it way easier to see what you can actually spend on the next deal without touching emergency money. How do you separate your cash buckets right now?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.