Pre-screening Tenants Without Talking to Them

Pre-screening Tenants Without Talking to Them

Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 74 posts · 43 votes

I used to waste so much time answering phonecalls and scheduling and reminding prospective tenants of their appointments, etc, etc- and kept thinking there has got to be better way!

This is what I'm currently doing-

Post property at least a month before it will be available- even if it's not ready to show (I am finding that better tenants tend to plan ahead)

Google Number that goes straight to voicemail describing the property, ending with the website they can go to request a showing (website also included in online advertising) -both the number and website on my yard sign

Website where they can request a showing by filling out a pre-screening questionnaire (got this idea from someone on this forum, sorry I forgot who that was)

Scheduling Website where I can set a time-frame in my Google Calendar, which will open up time slots that people can sign up for (this site is only sent to those who have filled out the pre-screening questionnaire). Once they schedule, they are sent a confirmation email and text, and then a reminder text 2 hours before showing. This is my first time trying this- but I just sent an email last night to the 50 or so people I had in my spreadsheet who had filled out the web form requesting a showing over the last month, and I already have five showings booked WITHOUT HAVING TO CALL ANYONE. We'll see how it works out...

Here's my scheduling website as an example (you can click on a time slot to see the form you would fill out but please don't book an appt): [REMOVED]

PS - It is free, I just paid for some SMS credits so it will text people

10Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y

I like to require prospective tenant to, after passing all pre screening, to send ME a confirmation text either 30 minutes or 1 hour prior to our appointment. If they don't text I don't go. My no-shows have gone down to 0%.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    @Angie B.

    wow! This is great stuff! Sounds very similar to the website that my team and I are building...except MUCH, MUCH easier to deal with.

    If I am understanding correctly what you're using it sounds as if you have two separate Google products, Google Number and Google Scheduler, is this correct?

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    12y

    @Derek Smith Thanks, Google Number and Google Calendar (Youcanbook.me uses your google calendar). I'll update my signature to include my scheduling website in my original post in case you want to see it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    12y

    In my signature is my scheduling website as an example (you can click on a time slot to see the form you would fill out but please don't book an appt).

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Cool scheduling site, @Angie B. - thanks for sharing it!

    I can see a VA using this to book times for an investor to go see the houses of people that call in. Really like the reminders sent to the other party.

  • Homeowner · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    @Angie B. and everyone. If you guys use gmail, and other online apps, many of them have API's those APIs allow coders to build special functionality. Now if you are not a coder or do not want to pay a coder, you can use this site:

    https://zapier.com/zapbook/

    Which allows you to interconnect a bunch of online apps. Based on actions, for example, when you get an email, have another system send you a SMS, and then another to do something else. You can chain them all together with your own logic, easiily.

    I was using the system to connect 2 different CRM systems that did not talk to each other with the same info.

    Highly recommended system. The sky is the limit to what you can build with this system.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    12y

    @Gianni D'Alerta WOW! This is awesome. I don't code so this is perfect for me! I was just thinking how nice it would be if my pre-screening form would transfer itself into a spreadsheet so I didn't have to do it. I'm all about automating things to save time. Looks like there are a lot of tasks that could be done with this... thanks!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    12y

    I just wanted to update this thread to let you know how this worked out in REAL LIFE. I opened up a 4-hour slot on a Saturday and a 2-hour slot on a Monday evening (we had touch up paint and cleaning and other stuff still to do while we were there, so it wouldn't feel like a waste of time when we were in-between appts). People didn't mind that we were still working on it- they thought it was a good thing actually- showed that we cared about the condition of the property (I thought that was interesting.)

    We had 9 appointments booked for Saturday and 4 for Monday. 7 of the 9 showed up on Saturday- this is record percentage for us! I think the text reminders two hours before really helped. I also had two excellent applications turned in that day, approved one on Monday, cancelled my Monday night appointments. I call that a SUCCESS! I think people liked the online platform- it allowed them to reschedule if necessary without having to call me.

  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 154 posts · 28 votes
    11y

    @Angie B.

    Thank you so much for the information on this page if you don't mind, can you share with me how are you using youcanbook.me for the showing and share with me the link.I love to get more information.I was thinking about Rently.com or ShowMojo .

    Thank you so much

  • Trenton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Wanted to share my experience with everyone on this thread after reaching out to Angie about her approach. I previously had posted my listings on Postlets and Craigslist for a month in a not-so-great neighborhood. I would have to sift through ~10 phone calls a day and another 5-7 "I am interested" responses on Zillow and Hotpads, etc. Most of them were a waste of time, in that they did not have the right income requirement, were trying to fit 7 people into a property of 1000 sq ft size, etc. It was completely exhausting. I reached a point where I offloaded the property to a realtor, who quickly got fed-up screening the property for me (she stopped responding to all notices and calls and just took applications from other realtors stopping by to show the property--lesson from that experience is to not sign a contract for longer than 3 weeks with realtors for renting out a property). In the meantime, I knew there was a better approach and with Angie's help, I was able to set-up a domain name/website for my listing, with a description and a re-direct to youcanbook.me to set-up appointments (this was especially useful for me as I am out of state, and wanted to limit my appointments to 2-3 general slots per week). Once set-up, I was able to secure tenants in a week and a half. This was also a lot cheaper than ShowMojo ($99 vs $12 Google Domain, $7 hosting, $10+4 YoucanBook.me).

    Several more tips:

    -Create 2 (or more) Craigslist listings and renew every other day to keep one of them fresh and near the top

    -Prominently display URL at the beginning and end of listing description to re-direct applicants to site

    -Do not share phone reference in your Craigslist listing--just place site URL to redirect them to book

    -Use Rentlinx to post on ALL of the same sites that an MLS listing gets posted on (except listings on Trulia for some reason disappear in a few days)

    -Use a same-area-code Google Voice number (if you're out of state), and adjust greeting to state that to schedule a showing must be done only via website and voice mails are only for previous applicants (you will need this as Rentlinx will share it with other sites unfortunately.. there is no workaround). Adjusting your greeting will convert the majority of your voice-mails into missed calls

    -When setting up listings (through YouCanBook.me), mandate they state number of adults, income, etc (whatever you deem necessary to initially screen applicants). Also leave a comment/question box (will help you eliminate them when they ask if it's okay that they have a pitbull or mastiff, etc).

    -You will need to pay youcanbook.me to schedule multiple appointments in one slot (I had group showings for a given 30 minute block). I also paid for SMS reminder messages for applicants.

    -Come up with copy-paste email response redirecting applicants to your site if they express interest to you via the form on Zillow, HotPads, etc. Obviously do not share your Google Voice number in your email.

    Ignore all missed calls / voice-mails (I had 74 total in the week and a half) and good luck!

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    You might try https://calendly.com/ it is free. This way you can schedule pre screen telephone calls. Folks that won't have the patience for this won't be good tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    10y

    @Kevin B. , I'm so glad it has worked out for you, and thanks for sharing the way you use it.  I like the comment/question part, as sometimes there is a simple question they need to ask before the appointment.  

    I really think this is the best method, as it effectively screens out anyone that can't seem to follow directions.  HOWEVER, I think there is room here for a business to setup something like this, as most investors won't go through the setup that Kevin and I have, yet would like something to set up appointments.  ShowMoJo is too expensive for what it offers.  I would really like to see something that automatically replies to sites like Zillow, Hotpads, Craigslist, etc in addition to scheduling (this is more difficult than it sounds, since I have to use a combination of vacation response, canned responses with filter through google, and a zapier automation).  

    I also get a ton of leads now from a Facebook group I set up, called "Northland Homes for Rent" as the area of Kansas City we invest in is referred to as the "northland".  It now has over 3K members, and since I'm the moderator, I keep it pretty clean (no advertising for anything other than properties for rent).  When I post a property, I include the youcanbook.me link and I usually have several appointments booked from that post.  Of the last two tenants I placed in our properties, one found it through that FB group, and the other from the sign in the yard (yes, that still works).  :)

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I like to require prospective tenant to, after passing all pre screening, to send ME a confirmation text either 30 minutes or 1 hour prior to our appointment. If they don't text I don't go. My no-shows have gone down to 0%.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    10y

    @Max T.- that is a GREAT tip, and I think it is perfect for my landlord friends that don't want to go through the setup like I did with a booking site.  However, you still have to talk to people up front, correct?  I just personally don't like to spend time doing that. I know property managers that swear by those phonecalls, using them to effectively screen people, but it was just something I hated doing.  The online booking was a game-changer for me, and I've had several prospective tenants who have told me they really liked the system, how easy it was to book an appointment, knowing they had 10 minutes of a private showing rather than an awkward group thing- they just thought the whole process felt really professional.  

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I posted to Postlets (name has changed) before the vacancy occurs  when possible like Keven and always replied

    • unit is not ready to show just now, so pickup an application and fax  that to me and when it is ready, we can schedule an appointment

    Now you can screen the application and vet the information.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    I usually just schedule everyone for the same day on the weekend and bring copies of a questionnaire with me. If my phone rings too much, I swipe left and respond with a text that has the time that the property will be shown.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    I would also note that it's a good idea to put your criteria on the ad, which should screen out a few people. I.e. no evictions, etc.

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    9y

    @Brandon Turner, an "Ultimate Guide on How to Schedule Appointments and Pre-screen Tenants "would be great!!  The screening guide, rocks, btw!

    Tenant season is upon us.     This is exhausting. So I am trying to create a system to screen people, this is  a great thread. Thanks!!!

    I have hotpads, and CLs adds. I created a google form and respond only to those that fill up the form.

    On google, I have set up "Canned Responses". I used this to direct prospective tenants to the form. If they don't complete the form, they probably don't care. 

    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Canned-Responses-in-Gma...

    I asked basic questions, current rent, reason for moving, if they smoke, have pets, and if they comply with the qualifications. 

    Then, I download the spreadsheet, eliminate the ones that don't qualify and call others. 

    I set up three showings per week on my time, not their time.  I  need to read about the text message, even with this, I get tons of no shows.

    Thanks!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    9y

    @Frank S., thanks for the feedback and additional input.  Your use of google forms is a great idea!  The system I setup still works pretty well, but I would be willing to pay for a service that does all that I have setup (marketing-online syndication and phone voicemail, +online scheduler+email responder).  It's a bit of a hassle upfront every time, but ALWAYS worth it in the end, as I don't take any phonecalls anymore, and everything usually rents out in ONE two-hour window of MY choosing.  

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    9y

    @Angie B., thank you for this post!  I see a 60% filter through the pre-screening. I can't even dream of making 60 phone calls.  From those 20 responses, a few "don't have rental history" or clearly know the meaning of unlawful detainer. Others, don't smoke "inside" - in Chicago's sub zero winters.  However, one or two are good candidates.   I need to set up the appointments with text message reminders.  That's a great tip. 

    I would gladly pay for the service, too!

  • Real Estate Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Angie B, @Kevin B,

    Thanks for the useful information.  Are you still using the same process, or have you updated/refined your method.  Just bought my first property.  Trying to get my process set up.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks

  • Victoria, British Columbia · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Yeah me as well

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    I'm still handling it, but I've streamlined as much as I can:

    1. All initial contact comes to me through email. Prospects are then sent a link to the prescreening questions via google forms.

    2.  If the prospect meets criteria I email them back to schedule a showing. I try to schedule multiple showings together or back to back. This limits the number of times I have to go out.

    3.  If the prospect are interested at the showing I give them a copy of the application and encourage them to complete it online via google forms. 

    4.  If I like their application I have them complete the credit/background check with smartmove. If they complete it/pay for it and it looks good I offer them the lease.

    Having it on google forms makes it really easy for me to process because all questions and answers can be broken down into a spreadsheet. It also screens out some people who are not as computer savy (I do online rent payments with cozy).

    I know cozy does applications and background checks but I'm not sure it's as robust as my application. I plan on looking into that before my next turnover.

  • Victoria, British Columbia · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Hi @Angie B. @Max T. @Frank S. @Jeff B.

    It amazes me how all of you have automated the whole process. 

    I was wondering if you guys would be willing to test something I made which basically does everything you mentioned but in from one place so we don't have to set up different apps and use Google forms etc. 

    I can inbox the website details if anyone is interested in comparing that with you made..

    Thanks

  • Specialist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 870 posts · 345 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Mark Pitt:

    Hi @Angie B. @Max T. @Frank S. @Jeff B.

    It amazes me how all of you have automated the whole process. 

    I was wondering if you guys would be willing to test something I made which basically does everything you mentioned but in from one place so we don't have to set up different apps and use Google forms etc. 

    I can inbox the website details if anyone is interested in comparing that with you made..

    Thanks

    Sure, I will try it. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Streamwood, IL · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    This thread is great.  Thanks @Angie B.

    I've been sending a canned email response for all leads with minimum qualifications/criteria and will give times for them to schedule showing (always do open houses in my opinion!) , which got me to thinking if there was any software that streamlines this process all in one place.  

    @Mark Pitt I would be interested in giving feedback....please inbox me the website 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.