I am located in Oregon, first time landlord. Our open house is tomorrow and someone has already mentioned they have Section 8 vouchers. My understanding is that it is an opt-in program? But that conflicts with the fact that it is "discriminatory" to tell people that you do not accept Section 8, or to refuse to accept it. I'm so confused. I am not interested in jumping through hoops to get my home "qualified," it would likely delay the move in and therefore impact my income.
Can I still hold the applicants to the same income requirements or am I forced to make accommodations for Section 8? That almost seems discriminatory toward everyone else. Would their voucher count toward income requirements?
Residential Real Estate Broker · Beaverton, OR · Member since 2014 · 335 posts · 149 votes
11y
@Amanda H., Under the new law, you cannot refuse a Section 8 applicant, but you also do not have to change your criteria specifically for them. As long as you use the same criteria for all applicants, then you are good to go. One thing they do mention is that you cannot "opt-out" of the program just because you don't want to hassle with the paperwork. See the links below for more information.
Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
9y
I'm ashamed of you all, referring to section 8 Voucher holders as if they have leprosy. As if section 8 Voucher holders are a Lower than you class of people. With your lying an scheming, deceiving and trickery, manipulating your plots and planing with your condescending misguided contempt against people you don't even know. While you discriminating, who's worse Voucher holders or you?
Quite a first post ! Welcome to BP. I think you are confusing landlords having a problem with the program or being forced into the program vs having a problem with the people. I have had tenants in the program occasionally over the years and I am not a big fan for the following reasons:
-The section 8 inspector can demand arbitrary "repairs" be done and in many cases reduce or adjust the rent with indifference to prior agreements
-My tenant fails to show for an appointment and my rent gets cut off with in many cases no prior notice to me
-Any small repair gets a demand to repair sent my way while tenant violations fall on deaf ears
This program works for many on both sides but in no way should anyone be forced to be in the program
Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
9y
Again all people should be screened individually. You are confused I'm clear. Discriminate has the same meaning for you as anyone else. Get your head out of the sand. The voucher holder is a individual and that person should be screamed based on The same merits as a person without. This government housing program has alway demanded equal rights. Lazy landlords, don't want to fix up there property, get your sympathy. Inspectors have supervisors, an on an on. Landlords. Courts deal with violations, oh wait I get it, we wouldn't be saving that property for upper class tenants?
Again all people should be screened individually. You are confused I'm clear. Discriminate has the same meaning for you as anyone else. Get your head out of the sand. The voucher holder is a individual and that person should be screamed based on The same merits as a person without. This government housing program has alway demanded equal rights. Lazy landlords, don't want to fix up there property, get your sympathy. Inspectors have supervisors, an on an on. Landlords. Courts deal with violations, oh wait I get it, we wouldn't be saving that property for upper class tenants?
No "Doc" I am clear. I presented clear and concise arguments as to why I have an issue with the program. You just went on a mindless rant. I get it Doc, the landlord refused your voucher and you went to the discrimination card
Again all people should be screened individually. You are confused I'm clear. Discriminate has the same meaning for you as anyone else. Get your head out of the sand. The voucher holder is a individual and that person should be screamed based on The same merits as a person without. This government housing program has alway demanded equal rights. Lazy landlords, don't want to fix up there property, get your sympathy. Inspectors have supervisors, an on an on. Landlords. Courts deal with violations, oh wait I get it, we wouldn't be saving that property for upper class tenants?
wow, calling people out when joining a board! How long and how many Sec8 folks have you accepted in your properties? Folks here voice there opinions and suggestions and I for one do not appreciate your tone. You are the one that seems to holier than thou.
For the record, I have been doing this for many years and have accepted many government programs and agree with others that Sec8 is the most intrusive.
Are you a troll ?
To all others on this board, my apologies, for my rudeness of my comment above. I am usually calm and collected, but I am appalled at the newbie poster attacking us.
To deny a tenants only because they are on Section 8 is illegal discrimination. Section 8 also counts as income, and you cannot discriminate based on source of income, so technically you are not ignoring that income.
But take a breath. There are actually a lot of benefits to having Section 8 tenants.
You will not have to jump through hoops. In my experience, Section 8 inspections are very easy. Their standards are far lower than the standards I have for my units. They really just want to see that a place is livable.
Reach out if you have more questions about your specific situation, but to sum up my experience for you: I have had multiple tenants with vouchers in nice housing in nice neighborhoods, and in my experience, they have stayed longer and taken better care of their units than other tenants.
@John Thedford tagging you so you don't get yourself in trouble for discrimination.
I am not sure what you are referring to. Landlords are not required to accept section 8. I have not and will not get set up with that program unless it becomes mandatory by law. I have enough government regulation without that.
I am not sure what you are referring to. Landlords are not required to accept section 8. I have not and will not get set up with that program unless it becomes mandatory by law. I have enough government regulation without that.
You're right. Tenants still have to meet other qualifications, but in many cities and some entire states, you cannot discriminate based on sources of income, so to deny a tenant only because they will be paying with a voucher is illegal. There are places where they do not include source of income as a provision, so you must be talking about one of those states. Just know that is not the case everywhere, so posters from other areas might be playing by a different set of rules.
Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
9y
It is not legal to deny on source of income BUT if a landlord is not set up on section 8 they are not required to accept the vouchers. I get calls on one particular rental asking if I accept section 8. I tell them no, that I am not enrolled in that program. So far, no issues. I know LOTS of landlord that are not enrolled as well.
-The section 8 inspector can demand arbitrary "repairs" be done and in many cases reduce or adjust the rent with indifference to prior agreements
-My tenant fails to show for an appointment and my rent gets cut off with in many cases no prior notice to me
-Any small repair gets a demand to repair sent my way while tenant violations fall on deaf ears
Sounds like you are in an area with a poorly run program, so I don't blame you for avoiding it, but for readers in other areas, don't let Greg's experience scare you away.
I've worked with two different offices in my area, and both of them have been fine. Inspectors are really only making sure that the place is livable and safe. Repairs cannot be arbitrary: they have a checklist of very basic necessities, and if something doesn't meet that, they make you fix it. Their standards are far below my own, so I've never had an issue.
The rent is decided by the same checklist. There is a baseline for a bed/bad combo, and then amenities are added. $40/month for central air, $15 for a security system, $100 for an extra room, etc. Those numbers change in different markets, but get yourself a list. There are some ways ways to demand more rent.
In addition, I actually have additional leverage over my tenants on Section 8, because if they violate the lease, they can not only be evicted, but can also lose the voucher program. I get a notice if/when the tenant misses a meeting. When that happens, I call the tenants, remind them that if they lose the program and can't afford the rent, they will have to move, and they get right on top of it. I've not yet had one of those missed meetings cost me any money.
As long as you screen tenants as thoroughly as any other tenant, Section 8 can work for a landlord.
FYI - some states it is considered a discrimination as it is a protected class. If a sec8 tenant qualifies you MUST accept them unless you have other valid reasons.....hence all the discussions about ways. Massachusetts is one state and I heard from others here there are at least 2 states that are the same way....so its not an choice to opt in or not.
Exactly my point if the rent is being on time every month then why not rent to those on section 8 the government guarentees it.....it is because realtors and landlords discourage it and it is generated by discrimination.....
To clarify, Section 8 does not guarantee that the full rent is paid on time. In most cases, the tenant pays a percentage of the rent.
Exactly my point if the rent is being on time every month then why not rent to those on section 8 the government guarentees it.....it is because realtors and landlords discourage it and it is generated by discrimination.....
To clarify, Section 8 does not guarantee that the full rent is paid on time. In most cases, the tenant pays a percentage of the rent.
yep. I agree with Kevin. It is not a guarantee. I find the tenants that have to contribute more for their share are better tenants. The ones that tend to receive 90 or 100% paid via sec8 are more troublesome at times. Maybe because they don't have to go out and can stay home all the time? Not sure why, but it appears that way to me.
Another thing that annoys me if you read the agreement is that if there is an issue with one sec8 tenant, not only can sec8 hold back their rent, they can hold back the rent of everyone of your tenants that are in the building with sec8.
Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
9y
I've had that happen to me too all the time. My understanding is that they are not turning you down hence discriminating against sec8, but they do consider them like college kids or aggressive dogs as a higher risk, so they can charge you more for insurance. so, I can charge more rent for sec8 without getting in trouble? Never mind the fact that the local sec8 won't allow a higher amount.
"I'm ashamed of you all, referring to section 8 Voucher holders as if they have leprosy."
Don't choke on your halo, how many Section 8s do you have?
I've seen a lot of misunderstanding about the program so it seems you're better off all-in and get vouchers for all your units/tenants or just not "take advantage" of the program.
Real Estate Agent · Trenton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
9y
In New Jersey, a landlord cannot refuse to rent to someone solely because the tenant has a Section 8 voucher. Now the landlord can still refuse the lease for other reasons i.e. tenants credit report, insufficient info on past leases, maybe the landlord has other tenants interested, etc. I would not advise a landlord in New Jersey to advertise " No Section 8", or "Section 8 Not Accepted. Phrases such as these could be a $10,000 fine for your first offense. Now if they say "Not Section 8 Approved" that's something entirely different, it simply means the Public Housing Authority hasn't sent an inspector to approve the unit for a section 8 tenant. I hope this info helps!!!
Bedford, OH · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
9y
I'm sorry. I had to reply. First, I am not sure if the government can force you to rent to section 8 clients or not. That was a question that I had also BUT the more replies I read the more upset I got. Trying to find ways to discriminate against people without getting caught is one of the biggest problems with this country. And reading all the elitists on this forum has me second guessing in investing in housing. Racism and class prejudice is rampant in America. My opinion is that section 8 money is the same color as the one percenter money. I know disabled vets on section 8 who would be turned away from some of these "perfect" people on this post. I am ashamed to be an American with people like them. Bad people are in all financial classes. Rich, white college kids will smoke and destroy your property just as fast as the black woman who works at Walmart 40 hours a week who still qualifies for section 8. I would say "let your heart be your guide" but that's a risk that some may not have one.