Real Estate Broker · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
Hi,
I am interested in renewing my leases with some of my tenants as some of them are coming to an end. I was wondering which would be best from a landlord standpoint, renewing the lease or extend the lease. I have read that both has advantages and disadvantages such as if you were renewing the lease, you may have restart your tenant's obligations. This is not so good for example if they had caused damages to your property on the current lease period, but when you renew, you didn't check and charged them for the damages. If they move out after the renewal terms are over, you may be lucked out to charge them for the damages that they caused during their original lease period. Is this correct? If that is the case, wouldn't an extending the lease makes more sense to do as the standard way to "renewing" the lease?