Did my Tenant Abandoned the Property Without Notification?

Did my Tenant Abandoned the Property Without Notification?

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes

I have a tenant who paid the entire year's rent. Yep, one year in full. It was one of the tenant's parents who actually paid the money and the tenant gave us a cashiers check. The tenants are in their late 30s.

In any case, we live nearby so we know that they were in the house for at least 6 months but at the end of the 6th month, we noticed that the yard wasn't being kept up. 

I called and text them about another matter, but I received a text stating that they were tending to a family illness.

After they told me about the family illness, I became suspicious. I went by the house to ring the doorbell but the doorbell did not ring. The lights were completely off throughout the house and the back gate was open. 

Although I am still investigating, I believe that they moved out a week or two earlier. I will check with the neighbors to see if they know anything. I haven't entered the house yet, but I will go back to the house this afternoon, knock first, then enter. 

My lease was mirrored after the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) lease form, so it is a detailed and thorough lease. 

I was just baffled thinking that is it possible that they actually left the house. They had nothing to lose personally because one of the parent's paid the year's rent. Nevertheless, why wouldn't the tell me that they were leaving? They had already been in the house for a year, so this was a renewal lease.

Has anyone ever had a situation where the rent was paid in full and the tenant left without notice? Again, I am still investigating the matter and will know something by the end of the day but it just reminds me of how important it is to cover all bases on your lease. You never know what people will do. Your comments are welcome.

0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg H.Pro Member
Moderator
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y

@Tracy Sharpe

Consult an Attorney but I provided the proper steps you need to take for a property in Texas

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    That is an odd situation indeed. Although you've already been paid, you obviously don't want a vacant property and all the issues that go along with it, including vandalism, having to switch to vacant property insurance, etc.

    I don't have any advice but I'm following just to see what others have to say.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    You have the right mindset about asking around and then knocking/looking inside. However even if they have one piece of furniture inside still, I would consider it occupied. what does your lease say about abandonment? is there a section that specifies the outcomes in relation to abandonment

    for example, mine says that if the tenant leaves the premises for more than 10 days and leaves rent unpaid, they forfeit all their belongings inside the property to me and lose their deposit. However, because your rents have already been paid, you really can't do much. Honestly the best thing is if they just decided to up and leave. just keep it unoccupied. that way you can keep the years worth of rent and not have to deal with any issues with the house :)

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Gosh; I can hear water running from your place way over here in Georgia.  Better enter the house and see what's happening.

    This whole scenario was strange from the beginning.   Why would the parents of a couple of tenants in their late 30's have to pay their rent (one would suspect the parents were so glad to get rid of them they'd pay anything to have them leave; even a years worth of rent).

    Do you have a contact number for the parents?

    Gail

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    In Texas , we have the ability to declare the property abandoned and terminate the lease. The law does not designate a period of time but some of the factors to use are. Are the utilites off?  Vacant (The property does not have to be completely vacant). Excess mail in the mailbox. Have the neighbors observed anyone at the property 

    Since the rent is paid up , I would not be in a huge hurry. In Texas, you are permitted to view your property at any time reasonable. Do you investigation and at the point you do determine the property abandoned, send the 3 day notice to terminate the lease. You do not have to evict if you determine the property abandoned 

    Once you do this, get the property cleaned up and rented. If the previous tenant contacts you AND provides a forwarding address, the 30 day period to refund any accessible rent or deposit after deducting any costs will begin.  

  • Insurance Agent · West Long Branch · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    @Tracy Sharpe I'm sorry to hear your tenants left without notice. @Michael Le is correct. If the property is vacant you will be required to change your insurance policy to a vacant property policy. Feel free to PM me is you have any questions about such. 

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 668 posts · 209 votes
    10y

    Double check your responsibility for the contents. 30-day storage? Certified letters to parents or other last known contacts? Get on this before utilities are shut off for nonpayment.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Ever consider the family illness could be the tenant? This may be an explanation for a parent paying but that really isn't your concern. You can call the utility company to see if the utilities are still on.    When you do this and look at the place today if you determine they have left- contact them about their obligations regarding any utilities and lawn maintenance as well as intentions to stay. Curious what you will find.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Thanks for your input. Concerning why the parent would pay the rent for the year. Well, the parents are somewhat elderly but inherited some money. I learned that when they first rented the property. The son-in-law was going to law school part-time and also working during the first lease. At the end of the lease, they were not going to renew because the husband lost his job; no money. We were about to post that the property was available but the next day, they said that her parents provided money to pay for the entire year. They paid us with a cashiers check to renew the lease. 

    I've met their parents nothing unusual. It seems that her parents have been helping them for awhile. They were living in a trailer in the back of their house until they decided to rent our house. Her parents sold their house because they were tired of the upkeep. I believe that could have been where the year's rent came from other than her parents just having the cash. Furthermore, I believe that her parents helped them with the deposit on the initial lease too.

    As far as abandonment, I know my lease addresses vacancy when the rent has not been paid and also in the event that a tenant does not occupy the house within 3 days after their initial deposit but I need to look closer to see what it says regarding if someone has paid the lease and leaves.

     At this point, I will check with the neighbors first to see if they noticed anything then I will make the proper notifications to enter the property.

    Yes, it is a strange situation, I could be overreacting but I have a feeling that they moved out. I will have to wait until I get off work to check out the situation. I will post the outcome as a learning experience for everyone. 

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Update regarding my tenants. One concern that prompted me to check to see what was going on at the house was that the lawn was unkempt and the gate was open. I knocked on the door then checked the electric meter to see if it was on. It was not on. I then went to the neighbor's house to inquire. The neighbor informed me that the tenants informed my neighbor that they were moving to another house in another city close by. I believe they probably moved to her parents house since neither of them are working but I am not for sure. 

    In any case, after I was informed by the neighbor that my tenants moved, I knocked on the door again, then entered the house. There was absolutely NO furniture inside the house. The overall appearance inside the house was fine. Needs painting and new carpet but that was about it. I have 6 months of rent and their deposit. I am hoping that they will inform me pretty soon. In the mean time, I need to find out what I must legally do to resolve this situation. I plan on speaking with a real estate attorney to get consultation. Your comments are welcome. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    I wonder if you have to give them their rent back , if you re rent it 

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Tracy Sharpe

    Consult an Attorney but I provided the proper steps you need to take for a property in Texas

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Greg, thanks for the sound information you provided. I greatly appreciate your advise.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    What kind of area are you in?  I have seen this where the house was trying to be used as a stash house.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Not a stash house. In an A area residential. HOA, pools, coveted school district. Children are young. No drug issues in the neighborhood. Tenant just lost his job. Overall, they were good tenants. We were surprised by them leaving.

  • Investor · Templeton, CA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    That's is defenitely an odd situation. I am not sure about tenant laws in Texas, however, I would speak with a eviction attorney before taking any action. 

  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    10y
    Too late now but I would have posted a 24 hour notice to enter the house. Otherwise, at least in Illinois, it would be considered trespassing. I would still post the note and then enter 24 hours later. Take plenty of pictures. I would have the neighbor sign a note stating what they told you and have them sign and date. Then send a certified letter to their last known address (your rental). Tell them they have abandoned the house and you will try to re-rent the house as soon as possible. Take care of painting, replacing carpeting, etc. Then start marketing the house. In my area the landlord is responsible for the water bill if the tenant doesn't pay it. Subtract it from any security deposit or prepaid rent. This is why I don't accept tenants that want to pay a year upfront. "If it's too good to be true, it probably is".
  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 40 votes
    10y
    I don't understand how a landlord would have any right to evict or recent the apartment just because the tenant isn't there. If the rent is paid up what business is it of the landlords if the person is gone for months at a time?
  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    10y
    Tyion Bridgeman you want to make sure your investment is being taken care of properly. The LL said the grass wasn't being cut which causes a couple of problems. The neighbors will not like the untidy rental house in their neighborhood. It also attracts snakes which could be a real problem in Texas. If your house isn't occupied and has a fire, the insurance company might not cover your loss if you knew it wasn't occupied for several months. Thugs could move in and turn it into a meth house. The tenants could sue the LL for prepaid rent and the judge is going to say to the LL "tell me what you did to mitigate your damages"? I don't know about Texas but in Illinois (tenant friendly state) you might have to pay back rent to the tenant that walked away.
  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jim Shepard:

    Too late now but I would have posted a 24 hour notice to enter the house. Otherwise, at least in Illinois, it would be considered trespassing. I would still post the note and then enter 24 hours later. Take plenty of pictures. I would have the neighbor sign a note stating what they told you and have them sign and date. Then send a certified letter to their last known address (your rental). Tell them they have abandoned the house and you will try to re-rent the house as soon as possible. Take care of painting, replacing carpeting, etc. Then start marketing the house.
    In my area the landlord is responsible for the water bill if the tenant doesn't pay it. Subtract it from any security deposit or prepaid rent.
    This is why I don't accept tenants that want to pay a year upfront. "If it's too good to be true, it probably is".

     Read my post above. 24 hour notice is not required in Texas as we can enter anytime that is "reasonable " nor do we need a certified letter that the property has been abandoned. Heck we do not even have to return a security deposit until 30 days of the property being vacated and being given a forwarding address. We also are not responsible for water bills unless the owner is involved in a MUD that requires but even that is extremely rare

    Jim- if the property has been known to be vacant for more than 60 days then you might have an issue with the insurance but since this is day 1 of 60 no need to panic now. No judge in Texas is going to award back rent and I stated the requirements for Texas

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Thankfully, Texas is a Landlord friendly state.  All services are in the tenants name. Our lease is based on the laws of the state which allows us to enter the house without posting anything on the door.  If there is any damage, it will come out of the deposit. I have no problem giving back what doesn't belong to me, once my property is rented again. They are responsible to pay loss rents up to the date that the property is re-rented which is in our lease. We were more baffled by them not informing us that they were leaving than anything else. In any case, I am not worried. The house is in great condition. I will consulate an attorney but from the outside, just based on them not keeping up the lawn, they are in violation of their lease and I will take action for that first by mailing a certified letter. 

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 477 posts · 426 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tyion Bridgeman:

    I don't understand how a landlord would have any right to evict or recent the apartment just because the tenant isn't there. If the rent is paid up what business is it of the landlords if the person is gone for months at a time?

     Abandoned properties are extremely dangerous in a bunch of different ways, although it's typically a problem more in the C/D areas. Some cities will actually knock down houses that have been vacant for more than a certain length of time because of the risks they present. They also lower the value of the surrounding houses significantly, which folks who maintain their properties hate.

    Meanwhile citations for the lawn or other upkeep often go to the owner, no matter what. 

    I think the issue here is that the tenant didn't give proper notice of when he was leaving, how long they would be gone, etc.

    My lease says that a property is abandoned if it's empty for X number of days in a row and the utilities are off, or if it's empty with rent due, or if it's empty for Z number of days in general. 

    Honestly, I would think the owner is going to wind up owing some money back after it's emptied out and re-rented, probably legally, maybe ethically (depending on who you ask.) 

  • Vendor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 12 votes
    10y
    Any damages
  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    No damages. We have a home owners association HOA in our area. We are required to keep up the lawns. It's all in the lease. You are right, if there were a citation it comes to me. That's one of the reasons why I have the right to do inspections. The house will not be torn down. It's in a coveted Single Family Housing development and school district.

    Some neighbors lawns have not been cut due to heavy rain as well. It's not as bad as you might visualize. After all, I live right around the corner from my tenants. No devaluation in this market, we are in a sellers market regardless of how the lawn looks.  

    I can rent the house in 7 days or less in the current market. The only hold up would be getting the cosmetics completed. Also, I can't say the house is actually abandoned at this point anyway until I make the proper notifications.

    I will pay back what I owe the tenant, if I owe anything. It's no big deal. I didn't spend the money up there is a mortgage on the house.  

    Additionally, I just saw the tenants 2 weeks ago. So it hasn't even been more than 2 weeks yet. Through a general Landlord check, I just know that the electricity is off and their personal property is no longer in the house.  

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    10y
    They left?...WHO CARES!...hope they dont come back until the money runs out. Keep in mind, that prepaid rent does not actually belong to you until they rent for those months...lease or no lease (in maryland anyway) They could always break the lease and ask the remaining money be returned minus damages. (Of course possession being 9/10ths and all making it hard) but still possible....hope they left and don't contact you until the lease is over. Make sure the doors remain closed of course.
  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Thanks for your comment. I will still need to have the lawn maintained, at their expense of course.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.