Eviction in Baltimore City

Eviction in Baltimore City

Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes

I have a tenant that is not paying rent (Jan/Feb). In rent court she told the judge she is not paying because she does not have heat, he awarded me the judgement and told her to go to escrow if she has an issue. Each time the rent is due she claims to have a heat problem and I send a technician out and he confirms there is no issue. After court she went to open a rent escrow case. My question is does this in any way stop my eviction against her? If she is still there next month do I need to file again for non payment of rent? Or do I just wait the 4 days and get the warrant of restitution signed and proceed with the eviction? 

0Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 398 posts · 156 votes
8y

@Latressa Byrd

In cases such as this we file every time their late, even if they go to escrow. The reason we do so is because once we file the warrant of restitution and they somehow come up with the funds for rent we want to build the case that if they are late 4 times within that year we can evict them regardless if they pay late again. That way they cant continue to play those type of games. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    In  Maryland certainly in Baltimore city it would. However look at the escrow law in your state. It probably provides you a certain period of time to correct the issue. Does she actually have the money to pay into rent escrow? No money to put into rent escrow and it seems to me that the eviction should move forward. 

    Hopefully you have documented each complaint of no heat and that someone was sent to check and there was no problem. If you haven't, start NOW.  This person is obviously a game player and you need to be prepared for her games

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Hi Ned, you may not remember me but I went around with you a few years back to scope out properties before the tax sale. Anyhow I have been keeping a log of the games she has been playing. I don't believe she has the money to put in the escrow account. She is just doing that to buy more time. The property is there in Baltimore, but I now live in North Carolina.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 398 posts · 156 votes
    8y

    @Latressa Byrd

    In cases such as this we file every time their late, even if they go to escrow. The reason we do so is because once we file the warrant of restitution and they somehow come up with the funds for rent we want to build the case that if they are late 4 times within that year we can evict them regardless if they pay late again. That way they cant continue to play those type of games. 

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jamal L.:

    @Latressa Byrd

    In cases such as this we file every time their late, even if they go to escrow. The reason we do so is because once we file the warrant of restitution and they somehow come up with the funds for rent we want to build the case that if they are late 4 times within that year we can evict them regardless if they pay late again. That way they cant continue to play those type of games. 

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jamal L.:

    @Latressa Byrd

    In cases such as this we file every time their late, even if they go to escrow. The reason we do so is because once we file the warrant of restitution and they somehow come up with the funds for rent we want to build the case that if they are late 4 times within that year we can evict them regardless if they pay late again. That way they cant continue to play those type of games. 

     Thanks, that's what I intend to do. It doesn't look like I will have to though. She got an extra day because today the courts are closed for President's day. I have to come back up Thursday to file and as of today she still has yet to come up with any money. It's a hassle having property and being out of town. I was just there last week. Now I will have to come up every time she doesn't pay by the 5th, but I'm willing to do that so I won't keep playing her game. I let her play the whole month of January. 

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jamal L.:

    @Latressa Byrd

    In cases such as this we file every time their late, even if they go to escrow. The reason we do so is because once we file the warrant of restitution and they somehow come up with the funds for rent we want to build the case that if they are late 4 times within that year we can evict them regardless if they pay late again. That way they cant continue to play those type of games. 

     Thanks, that's what I intend to do. It doesn't look like I will have to though. She got an extra day because today the courts are closed for President's day. I have to come back up Thursday to file and as of today she still has yet to come up with any money. It's a hassle having property and being out of town. I was just there last week. Now I will have to come up every time she doesn't pay by the 5th, but I'm willing to do that so I won't keep playing her game. I let her play the whole month of January. 

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 169 posts · 82 votes
    8y

    you are going to come back up from North Carolina to deal with a Baltimore property/tenant? two things....1. pay a rent notice service to deal with your court stuff. how much do you burn on a plane ticket or gas to get here? how about your time, how much is that worth?  2. hire a property manager, I don't know any binoculars that can see Baltimore from North Carolina. 

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jeffrey H.:

    you are going to come back up from North Carolina to deal with a Baltimore property/tenant? two things....1. pay a rent notice service to deal with your court stuff. how much do you burn on a plane ticket or gas to get here? how about your time, how much is that worth?  2. hire a property manager, I don't know any binoculars that can see Baltimore from North Carolina. 

    What's a good rent notice service? I think that's who I observed handling some cases while I was there last week. I drive up, so it's not that expensive, it's my time that it's costing me..... lol @ the binoculars

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Latressa Byrd:
    Originally posted by @Jeffrey H.:

    you are going to come back up from North Carolina to deal with a Baltimore property/tenant? two things....1. pay a rent notice service to deal with your court stuff. how much do you burn on a plane ticket or gas to get here? how about your time, how much is that worth?  2. hire a property manager, I don't know any binoculars that can see Baltimore from North Carolina. 

    What's a good rent notice service? I think that's who I observed handling some cases while I was there last week. I drive up, so it's not that expensive, it's my time that it's costing me..... lol @ the binoculars

    Lets say 6 hours up and 6 hours back , 1 night stay in a motel , meals , a tank of gas each way and wear and tear on your car and court costs .  I figure around  $ 400 a trip on the cheap end .

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:
    Originally posted by @Latressa Byrd:
    Originally posted by @Jeffrey H.:

    you are going to come back up from North Carolina to deal with a Baltimore property/tenant? two things....1. pay a rent notice service to deal with your court stuff. how much do you burn on a plane ticket or gas to get here? how about your time, how much is that worth?  2. hire a property manager, I don't know any binoculars that can see Baltimore from North Carolina. 

    What's a good rent notice service? I think that's who I observed handling some cases while I was there last week. I drive up, so it's not that expensive, it's my time that it's costing me..... lol @ the binoculars

    Lets say 6 hours up and 6 hours back , 1 night stay in a motel , meals , a tank of gas each way and wear and tear on your car and court costs .  I figure around  $ 400 a trip on the cheap end .

    I stay with family when I come up, but I would like to cut out the drive. Do you know of a good company that handles rent issues?

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Latressa Byrd    I avoid Baltimore for investing , taxes are too high and the laws are too favorable to the tenants .  I dont know of anyone that handles evictions there 

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:

    @Latressa Byrd    I avoid Baltimore for investing , taxes are too high and the laws are too favorable to the tenants .  I dont know of anyone that handles evictions there 

     ok thanks anyway

  • Real Estate Solutions Provider · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 571 posts · 452 votes
    8y

    @Latressa Byrd I use myrentcourt.com

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Latressa Byrd I use myrentcourt.com

    Thanks, I’ll look them up now. You’ve never had any problems with them?

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    8y
    @Latressa Byrd sorry to hear you are going through this. i am dealing with an eviction. sjnce you are out of town, a property manager may also be helpful. they will take care if the additional filings.
  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shadonna N.:
    @Latressa Byrd sorry to hear you are going through this. i am dealing with an eviction. sjnce you are out of town, a property manager may also be helpful. they will take care if the additional filings.

    Thanks, it's a big mess. I just hope it's over with soon. I've been thinking about getting a property manager. I would be a lot less headache. How far are you in your process?

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    8y

    @Latressa Byrd my eviction date is 2/26 but the tenant has moved already.  I am still going through the process to evict so that she does not try to come back and pull something.  I am working on the follow-up to try to recover something.  Doubtful but worth a try.  How many judgements have you received in the last 12 months?

  • Real Estate Solutions Provider · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 571 posts · 452 votes
    8y

    @Latressa Byrd I have not had any problems with them. I have used them for about two years now.

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shadonna N.:

    @Latressa Byrd my eviction date is 2/26 but the tenant has moved already.  I am still going through the process to evict so that she does not try to come back and pull something.  I am working on the follow-up to try to recover something.  Doubtful but worth a try.  How many judgements have you received in the last 12 months?

    Luckily this is the first one I've had to go through. I was reading on another post that if you know where the tenants works you have a better chance for a garnishment depending on what state you're located in.

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Latressa Byrd I have not had any problems with them. I have used them for about two years now.

    Ok great, I gave them a call and left a voicemail yesterday. I'm going to try them again today. Thanks for the referral.

  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    8y

    @Latressa Byrd how did the eviction go?

  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shadonna N.:

    @Latressa Byrd how did the eviction go?

    She ended up paying after I had ordered the warrant of restitution and everything. She played a lot of games with the payment. Telling me she had sent it out. Then to prolong it until she could get her tax money she went to rent escrow and opened a case. These tenants are something else.

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    8y
    Ms. Byrd, Check out these guys for property management. I haven't uses them but I have watched them grow over the last few years. If nothing else they may be able to help you some other way. cbrownproperties
  • Developer · . · Member since 2014 · 520 posts · 162 votes
    8y
    Search the post Are there any good property manager's out there. CB is mentioned. Proceed with caution.
  • Investor · Hillsborough, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Cardwell:
    Ms. Byrd,

    Check out these guys for property management. I haven't uses them but I have watched them grow over the last few years. If nothing else they may be able to help you some other way.

    cbrownproperties

    Oh wow they really have grown. I remember looking for a place to rent on their site long before I started investing. Thanks for the info, I'll check them out now. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.