Tenant wants to add an additional 220 outlet?

Tenant wants to add an additional 220 outlet?

Investor · Mitchell, SD · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 21 votes
Hey BP, Rookie landlord question for you all. I just signed a new lease with my first tenant! However less than a month later the tenant is asking me if he can hire a electrician to install a new additional 220 outlet so that he can install a coffee bean roaster (he wants to open up his own coffee shop in a few years and is trying to build up some capital by selling his own roasted beans). Right away I'm thinking this isn't a good idea because the current electric work was done before I purchased the duplex two years ago and I don't know who the previous landlord had do it. I also don't know if it would disturb the other tenant. I let my partners know what was going on to keep them in the loop and they think I should let him do it. My partners are not landlords and never have been. So I figured I should ask the experts Should I let the tenant hire an electrician to add an additional outlet? Should I get quotes from a few licensed electricians and hire them to do it and send the tenant the bill?
1Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 184 posts · 87 votes
8y
I wouldn’t want someone running an extra oven wired up by a bottom dollar electrician (if lucky) to facilitate a business operation out of my rental.
See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.