Which do you prefer Dogs vs cats?

Which do you prefer Dogs vs cats?

Real Estate Agent · Davison, MI · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 34 votes
I’m a new landlord and I just finished my first BRRRR/HouseHack combo. I’m finding it difficult to get qualified tenants in who don’t have animals so I’m considering allowing them in my units. Question is there’s pros and cons for dogs and cats. Which have you had the best luck with? Thank you, Bradley
0Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
7y

I'm allergic to cats, so that is an automatic no go from me. Consider:

  1. Are the units configured for pets? Do they have carpets or hard flooring?
  2. Pet deposit
  3. Pet rent
  4. What size is the animal?
  5. Have you met the animal? Is it aggressive?
  6. Is the animal trained? Trained animals often have certificates
  7. Even if the animal is trained, is the animal aggressive? Does it come with an anti-aggressive training certificate?
  8. Are the tenants cleanly? Do they clean the animal?
  9. How much attention do the tenants give the animal? Do they leave for work the entire day so they animal can urinate all over the carpet and it can marinate for 8-hour shifts at a time?
  10. How old is the animal? Is it old and calm or young and chewing through drywall?
  11. What does the prior landlord say about the animal's damage to the property - did the carpet smell? Did the place get destroyed, did the pet deposit actually account for the damage, etc?
  12. Is the pet vaccinated and registered? Not doing these things demonstrates neglect of the owner.
  13. How noisy is the animal? Will they bark until your other tenants move out, citing the annoying animal as the cause for terminating the lease?

Those are just off the top of my head, but if you consider each factor, it can assist you in making a decision on whether having pets in your unit is the smart thing to do.

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    I would take a dog over a cat . Cat urine smell is next to impossible to get rid of . Dogs just tear things up . Get additional pet rent per month and a non refundable pet "fee" not a pet deposit . fees you keep deposits have to be returned .

  • Real Estate Agent · Davison, MI · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Matthew Paul. I was thinking similar. What do you charge for a pet fee in your area?

  • Real Estate Agent · Davison, MI · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Also is there a size limit or breeds you have as criteria? @Matthew Paul

  • Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
    7y

    I'm allergic to cats, so that is an automatic no go from me. Consider:

    1. Are the units configured for pets? Do they have carpets or hard flooring?
    2. Pet deposit
    3. Pet rent
    4. What size is the animal?
    5. Have you met the animal? Is it aggressive?
    6. Is the animal trained? Trained animals often have certificates
    7. Even if the animal is trained, is the animal aggressive? Does it come with an anti-aggressive training certificate?
    8. Are the tenants cleanly? Do they clean the animal?
    9. How much attention do the tenants give the animal? Do they leave for work the entire day so they animal can urinate all over the carpet and it can marinate for 8-hour shifts at a time?
    10. How old is the animal? Is it old and calm or young and chewing through drywall?
    11. What does the prior landlord say about the animal's damage to the property - did the carpet smell? Did the place get destroyed, did the pet deposit actually account for the damage, etc?
    12. Is the pet vaccinated and registered? Not doing these things demonstrates neglect of the owner.
    13. How noisy is the animal? Will they bark until your other tenants move out, citing the annoying animal as the cause for terminating the lease?

    Those are just off the top of my head, but if you consider each factor, it can assist you in making a decision on whether having pets in your unit is the smart thing to do.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bradley LaBrie:

    Also is there a size limit or breeds you have as criteria? @Matthew Paul

    You asked which I prefer , Its dogs . But I dont allow pets in my rentals . I havent had a problem finding good tenants without pets .

  • Real Estate Agent · Davison, MI · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Thank you @James Galla! Very thorough list. I will most definitely do my due diligence and your list will help a lot. Do you notice tenants with pets stay longer in your area?

  • Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
    7y

    I don't do pets, except my own dog. I don't feel like being held liable for a bite. You should consult with an attorney to see whether you can be liable for a pet-caused injury simply because you own the property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    As you are finding most folks have pets. I allow both. I charge a refundable pet deposit but not pet rent. 

    I have a pet policy also. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Davison, MI · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Mary M.! What does your pet policy include if you don’t mind me asking?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    Dogs

    No agressive breed dogs per my insurance company. They are the bad guy not me.

    I get rid of carpet and make house pet friendly. People love their pets.

    I'm not a fan of cats. I have been in houses that had cats that urinated all over the place. Wow what a smell.

    Responsible people have behaved pets I have found.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    I prefer cat ...deep fried and with bbq sauce
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    for those that say they dont allow pets.....pls see thread about ESA (Emotional support animals) and service animals....

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    @Mary Mitchell There’s ways around that . It starts at the screening
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:
    @Mary Mitchell

    There’s ways around that . It starts at the screening

    I dont think you can  turn down a qualified tenant that has a service animal or a properly documented ESA?

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bradley LaBrie:
    I’m a new landlord and I just finished my first BRRRR/HouseHack combo. I’m finding it difficult to get qualified tenants in who don’t have animals so I’m considering allowing them in my units. Question is there’s pros and cons for dogs and cats. Which have you had the best luck with?

    Thank you, Bradley

    I will never allow cats. Dogs I make as costly as possible to have. If they love their dog means I’ll make enough to cover the cost to fix what a dog does in damage.   

  • Real Estate Agent · Davison, MI · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Thank you guys!

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bradley LaBrie:

    Thank you @Mary M.! What does your pet policy include if you don’t mind me asking?

    I charge 100 per dog (weight limit and breed restrictions) and 25 a month per animal.  

    For ESA, I haven’t had that issue but my tenant base there’s always something I can legally DQ them for anyhow.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Davison, MI · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed I think that’s what I’m going to do too. What breeds do you stay away from and what weight restrictions? Thank you for your input!

  • Helen, GA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    Your insurance should be able to provide you with breeds that are restricted.

    In my market I’ve noticed that tenants who have animals are likely to stay in the unit for a longer period, due to the difficulties in finding another place that accepts pets. 

  • Rental Property Investor · CA · Member since 2018 · 225 posts · 180 votes
    7y

    One thing I will mention is to check with your insurance provider for restricted dog breeds. Some insurance companies will not insure a home with a pit bull etc.  

  • Clive, IA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 89 votes
    7y
    I actually try not to say if animals are allowed until I meet the potential tenant. Usually it's not the animal but the tenant. I always meet the person and then decide and always say put down your animal on the application and the person that will go through the application I will just let them know (which is me) I had a tenants dog bite the city inspector one year. I sometimes will blame my insurance regarding certain breeds for example pit bulls. Which I know can be great dogs but around the area I live we have a huge percentage that are abused for fighting. When we do accept animals, we do a $100 refundable deposit.... most people want their money back when they move out. And then $25 pet rent
  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bradley LaBrie:

    @Account Closed I think that’s what I’m going to do too. What breeds do you stay away from and what weight restrictions? Thank you for your input!

     around 35 lbs full grown based on what I google of the breed, so that way it negates any aggressive breeds based on weight, so one more way to say sorry that animal can’t stay here.  If someone sneaks an animal into my property it is in my lease specifically and I will boot them faster then they can print a fake ESA certificate off.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    @Mary Mitchell Obviously you don’t turn them down for that gIven reason . You have to look our for your business and find ways to weed out the trouble .
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    @Matthew Paul Both dogs and cats can piss in a house. But I agree with you that urine odor is the biggest risk with keys.
  • Real Estate Agent · Davison, MI · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Thank you for all your valuable help guys! I will call my insurance provider and see what is restricted

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.