Are Landlords waiting to start evictions

Are Landlords waiting to start evictions

Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes

How are the tenants making rent these days and does anyone have to start the evicting process soon or started already?

That has to be a difficult situation and a pain?

0Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

@Dale Miller Certainly if you follow the media we are about to fall into the evictions abyss! With who knows how many millions of pent up evictions demand desperately awaiting a judges order. All my 20 tenants have paid every month including October. I hope my fellow BP land lords and ladies are doing equally well.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Dale Miller Certainly if you follow the media we are about to fall into the evictions abyss! With who knows how many millions of pent up evictions demand desperately awaiting a judges order. All my 20 tenants have paid every month including October. I hope my fellow BP land lords and ladies are doing equally well.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    @Dale Miller Certainly if you follow the media we are about to fall into the evictions abyss! With who knows how many millions of pent up evictions demand desperately awaiting a judges order. All my 20 tenants have paid every month including October. I hope my fellow BP land lords and ladies are doing equally well.


    @Bjorn Ahlblad Who knows if the media is going to be right. It sounds like that could happen. Good to hear your tenants are paying on time and no evictions are in the near future. Thanks for your reply. Take care!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I'm in Canada and have 4 rentals.  Only one had a tenant who stopped paying altogether and they weren't communicating with us.  As soon as we were allowed, we evicted them.  If it was someone who was making partial payments and working with us, I wouldn't have taken that route, but that was definitely not the case and the condition they left the place in was disgusting.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilkes County, NC · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 39 votes
    6y

    I should hope they are waiting to evict.  This is not a charity program.

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dale Miller:

    How are the tenants making rent these days and does anyone have to start the evicting process soon or started already?

    That has to be a difficult situation and a pain?

     Oh you don't know.. Erie County I think they started the process last month?

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilkes County, NC · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    Why would lamdlords not be waiting to evict as soon as it is allowed?  

    I think some tenants don't know what "deferred rent" even means.  They think they don't owe anything "because Covid, bro"

    I'll take an empy unt over one with a nonpaying tenant any day.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    I'm in Canada and have 4 rentals.  Only one had a tenant who stopped paying altogether and they weren't communicating with us.  As soon as we were allowed, we evicted them.  If it was someone who was making partial payments and working with us, I wouldn't have taken that route, but that was definitely not the case and the condition they left the place in was disgusting.



    @Theresa Harris: I hope you get a great tenant next time. Hang in there ! Thanks for your reply!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tim Bellnier:

    I should hope they are waiting to evict.  This is not a charity program.



    @Tim Bellnier: I agree! Its hard to find great tenants that take care of your property and when you do. It's a good idea to hold on to them

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dale Miller:
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    I'm in Canada and have 4 rentals.  Only one had a tenant who stopped paying altogether and they weren't communicating with us.  As soon as we were allowed, we evicted them.  If it was someone who was making partial payments and working with us, I wouldn't have taken that route, but that was definitely not the case and the condition they left the place in was disgusting.



    @Theresa Harris: I hope you get a great tenant next time. Hang in there ! Thanks for your reply!!

     

     Thanks. We have another tenant, a semi-retired couple, who moved in.  Fingers crossed!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Hai Loc:
    Originally posted by @Dale Miller:

    How are the tenants making rent these days and does anyone have to start the evicting process soon or started already?

    That has to be a difficult situation and a pain?

     Oh you don't know.. Erie County I think they started the process last month?


    @Hai Loc: Oh thank you! hopefully your not in that situation. I bet their will be a lot in the next couple months.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:
    Originally posted by @Dale Miller:
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    I'm in Canada and have 4 rentals.  Only one had a tenant who stopped paying altogether and they weren't communicating with us.  As soon as we were allowed, we evicted them.  If it was someone who was making partial payments and working with us, I wouldn't have taken that route, but that was definitely not the case and the condition they left the place in was disgusting.



    @Theresa Harris: I hope you get a great tenant next time. Hang in there ! Thanks for your reply!!

     

     Thanks. We have another tenant, a semi-retired couple, who moved in.  Fingers crossed!!



    @Theresa Harris Good to hear! Good luck to you take care!

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

     per the National Multi Family Housing Council Apprx 94.5% of renters are paying their rent.  Of that apprx 5% is paid late but paid in the month due.  This is not much different than last year.  See the charts here. Scroll down to see monthly comparisons to last year. https://www.nmhc.org/research-...


    sooooooo are there folks who are not paying rent? Yes.  But it is not what is being portrayed (millions) 

  • Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 299 posts · 110 votes
    5y

    In Marion County, FL, the clerk of court is taking eviction cases and you can go through the whole process except for issuing the Writ of Possession, since there is a moratorium on evictions.  As soon as the moratorium is lifted/expires, judges can start signing the writs.  Tenants may believe they can't be evicted and not answer any paperwork, allowing the landlord to get a default judgement and be ready to evict them.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mary M.:

     per the National Multi Family Housing Council Apprx 94.5% of renters are paying their rent.  Of that apprx 5% is paid late but paid in the month due.  This is not much different than last year.  See the charts here. Scroll down to see monthly comparisons to last year. https://www.nmhc.org/research-...


    sooooooo are there folks who are not paying rent? Yes.  But it is not what is being portrayed (millions) 


    @Mary M. Thank you for the information! I was just asking people to find out how the rental market is chugging along in your neck of the woods and how the tenants are making payments. The media and online news is suggesting that there will be an enormous wave of foreclosures and evictions in next 6 months. I would assume everyone's situation and neighborhoods would be different.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I don't know why there are so many posts on this forum where people just assume every tenant no longer has any ability to get money. Whatever the news is screaming at you is mostly not true, they try to make it sound like the great depression and everybody lost their job but this simply isn't the case. I'd say the majority of people are still working where they were when this started. Yeah, a few people are having money problems, but it isn't nearly as widespread as the media wants you to think. Numerous jobs have also been created as a result of Covid...

    I have not had one missed payment, a couple late ones but nothing to do with covid. If I did they would be evicted immediately, and if there was a period I could not, I would make it clear to them if they are not paying rent, even though somebody said they don't have to, I will still evict them when the time comes. Even if they pay the past due bill in full. (but nobody will) Good luck finding a new landlord.

    @Joe Kelly Thank you for the information! I was just asking people to find out how the rental market is chugging along in your neck of the woods and how the tenants are making payments. The media and online news is suggesting that there will be an enormous wave of foreclosures and evictions in next 6 months. I would assume everyone's situation and neighborhoods would be different. I kinda disagree with you on saying you would evict someone immediately after on missed payment. I feel you can't threaten eviction during this pandemic when people are living in hard times. In NY you can't evict until December or January also. Also disagree with you regarding unemployment. I dont know where you live but in buffalo new york unemployment was at an all time high and stores and businesses continue to shut down on a daily basis. Movie theaters, most schools and gyms still havent opened.


  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Marelyn Valdes:

    In Marion County, FL, the clerk of court is taking eviction cases and you can go through the whole process except for issuing the Writ of Possession, since there is a moratorium on evictions.  As soon as the moratorium is lifted/expires, judges can start signing the writs.  Tenants may believe they can't be evicted and not answer any paperwork, allowing the landlord to get a default judgement and be ready to evict them.


    @Marelyn Valdes Hopefully the tenants will be able to keep paying so that process doesn't have to happen. I bet there will be a bunch but who knows

  • Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 299 posts · 110 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dale Miller:

    @Marelyn Valdes Hopefully the tenants will be able to keep paying so that process doesn't have to happen. I bet there will be a bunch but who knows

    The clerk of court sent out a letter to attorneys stating they are hurting for fees and traffic ticket revenue. They are letting people file evictions and foreclosures since they get their fees at filing, not when the writs of possession issue. They also want to avoid huge backlogs when moratoriums end. I haven't had any tenants late with rent, but decided to sell my rentals when they are vacant while the market is high instead of taking a chance with new tenants just paying to get into a rental then not paying anything afterward. The last SFH I listed for sale hit the MLS on Tuesday and had a full price contract on Friday, with a couple of backup contracts. I was lucky the last tenant bought a home and I let her out of her lease early so I could get it on the market to sell before the end of the year.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Marelyn Valdes:
    Originally posted by @Dale Miller:

    @Marelyn Valdes Hopefully the tenants will be able to keep paying so that process doesn't have to happen. I bet there will be a bunch but who knows

    The clerk of court sent out a letter to attorneys stating they are hurting for fees and traffic ticket revenue. They are letting people file evictions and foreclosures since they get their fees at filing, not when the writs of possession issue. They also want to avoid huge backlogs when moratoriums end. I haven't had any tenants late with rent, but decided to sell my rentals when they are vacant while the market is high instead of taking a chance with new tenants just paying to get into a rental then not paying anything afterward. The last SFH I listed for sale hit the MLS on Tuesday and had a full price contract on Friday, with a couple of backup contracts. I was lucky the last tenant bought a home and I let her out of her lease early so I could get it on the market to sell before the end of the year.


    @Marelyn Valdes I hear ya on that. Around here they are installing traffic speed cameras at school intersections to get more revenue. I hope I dont have to go through the eviction process it sounds like a nightmare. Glad you were able to sell high and not wait too long. Good luck to you!

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 589 posts · 251 votes
    5y

    I can't imagine the landlords waiting any longer to file evictions. They may be getting creative to get tenants out like cash for keys or a cheaper alternative. Buy and hold is a business for long term leases and paying tenants. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It may sound cold but I don't care what the circumstances are.  You don't pay you don't stay. This is a business, not a charity. If I want to be charitable I will do something outside my business. The only way to get money from people that aren't paying is to threaten eviction, and it is perfectly legal to start the process even during a moratorium. Pay or quit notices, even if you don't want to get rid of the tenant, are very good at making rent suddenly appear. I would bet that most of the tenants not paying rent will never make up for those months, and many don't even think they have to. I also think the .gov screwed them by doing that and then expecting everybody to make 4 months rent payment at once. Even if I'm being an *** by aggressively collecting rent in the end I'm actually helping them. A lot of tenants are tenants because they don't know how to manage money.

    But as posted above, most are still paying rent. Even with unemployment spiking that does not mean everybody all the sudden does not have money. They have unemployment payments. And those benefits have been heavily increased. One of the major reasons unemployment exists is so that people don't lose their home between jobs. Even self employed people qualify for benefits now, that's never happened before.



    @Joe Kelly: I agree that most tenants will never make up the lost payments and they are tenants because they need to manage their money better. For sure!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Dale Miller

    Govt stimulus $ is still flowing. So most tenants are still paying. Will stimulus continue? How long? That is the real question.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Max T.:

    @Dale Miller

    Govt stimulus $ is still flowing. So most tenants are still paying. Will stimulus continue? How long? That is the real question.

    @Max T I agree government stimulus is keeping some people current. There almost has to be another round of stimulus or I believe that will put tenants in a deep hole.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland OH · Member since 2015 · 213 posts · 275 votes
    5y

    Our problem is that many eviction attorney's are not willing to take on an eviction with the CDC moratorium.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Dale Miller. Some municipalities are processing evictions. However, there are state and federal restrictions. It depends on the location and the circumstances of each eviction.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2020 · 163 posts · 28 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Zachary Ray:

    I can't imagine the landlords waiting any longer to file evictions. They may be getting creative to get tenants out like cash for keys or a cheaper alternative. Buy and hold is a business for long term leases and paying tenants. 


    @Zachary Ray I hear ya. I agree buy and hold is a business and for paying tenants. This is a different situation though. Hopefully there wont be that many evictions that are suggested by the media. You have to do what is best for your business and family

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.