When choosing a tenant, do you…

When choosing a tenant, do you…

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 101 posts · 44 votes

I recently had multiple people apply for one of our rental houses. I narrowed it down to 2 people. Do you always go with the best choice even if they only want to rent for a year? First choice has excellent credit score, good income, no rental history because she is relocating to the area and owned her home, 2 cats, but wants to rent for 1 year then buy a house. (Doesn’t want 2 mortgages). The second option has a good credit score, appropriate income, no pets, and wants to rent “indefinitely”. Do you always go with the best option? Or the good option that will be long term?

5Reply
158 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

I would not rent to a person with 2 cats who views (and likely treats) my rental as temporary housing and could care less about what I think of her (referral). The potential tenant is all but telling you that you have zero influence on her... and 2 cats! Yikes.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Indianapolis , IN · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Heather Rodden Perhaps ask the second choice if they will have a problem or be upset when the rent goes up with the local market. (Not that you care how they feel about it.) Just feel them out I suppose. If you had a lot of applications for the rental this time with the market that we have I’m sure next year you will find more than one qualified tenant.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    @Heather Rodden I would choose the second person. It’s expensive to turn over units. And always always find out how they treat their current living space.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.