Flip Diary #3 - Western NC Mountain House Rehab

13 Replies

My last flip (see diary here) finally wrapped up a month or so ago and is now on the market, so its time to start another. This house is in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains in a small town called Waynesville NC. It has a view to die for and has a nice layout, so it should be a good one. Here are some numbers:

3 bed 3 bath 1300sf with big finished basement that will add another 1200 of so sf

Purchase Price: $109,900

Rehab Estimate: $48k

Acquisition/Holding Cost Estimate: $11,000

ARV: $225-250k

I just closed on this one late last week and am hoping to be done in about 3 months. Here are some pics:

Here are a few pics of the basement. It is a mess and needs a lot of work. This will eventually be a master suite:

looks like it'll e a fun project.

I say you leave the main floor, which seems to be the kitchen and the living room as is. 

Just carry that theme throughout the rest of the house. 

Good luck!

Here is an update on this flip. It is just about to finish up and hopefully be on the market within 2 weeks. The project is going very nicely, and I am under budget so far. As long as nothing surprising pops up towards the end, we should be under budget.

New Deck:

Floors sanded down:

Basement freshly painted and carpeted:

Master bedroom in basement

And just a pic I snapped one morning from the from the deck. It was foggy in the valley, so it almost looks like an ocean. It is truly a beautiful location!

Austin Lee I am super jealous of that view. As an app state alum I see that last pic and want to immediately go relax on your porch. What kind of DOM do you have out there and what does the buyer look like? (Vacation home, owner occupant, buying for vacation rental) Best of luck.

@Uriah D.

I'm hoping the DOM will be 60 days or less. It is most likely going to be a second home, but is located in a spot that will work well for a local as well. I feel like if I don't get it sold by the end of October I will have to sit on it until Spring. Hopefully that won't happen, but it was a consideration when I bought it, so I have planned for a long hold if necessary. 

Where did you get the vinyl (maybe aluminum?) covering that goes on the ceiling of your porch? It is in the picture under "New Deck." I am looking for the same item and I cannot find them anywhere.

House looks great and the view is even better!

@Nick Harrington

That is vinyl soffit. It was on the house, but you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. They actually used a combination of triple vented and solid. Below is a link to them at Lowes. You have to buy the 12' pieces and cut them to whatever your soffit overhang requires. You also have to buy the J-channel and F-channel to hang it. I hope that helps!

Lowe's link to triple vented soffit

Lowe's link to solid soffit

I almost forgot to update this post! The house is finished and is now listed for sale. Now the only hurdle left is getting it sold before Winter. Wish me luck!

Check out the virtual tour here: 121 Briarberry Ln Virtual Tour

And here is the listing: Zillow Link

Good luck -- I second the comment that I'd love to sit and drink a beer on that porch -- nice view!

Looks great @Austin Lee .  Glad to see that WNC can/will support RE Investors.  As I know the area seems to trickle behind mostly bigger markets I read about here on BP.  Keep up the great work!  

Beautiful rehab, @Austin Lee! I hope you get it under contract soon.

I'm not too far away down in Clemson, SC. I love coming up to WNC. Those views are spectacular. 

This has been fun to follow. I appreciate your including Pics. Thank you for posting. @Austin Lee 

How did you come up with a realistic ARV? It must have been a little challenging given the location. Meaning it is not in a so called community or subdivision.

That view is amazing. Looks like your rehab is coming along well. Basement looks 1000x better.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here