BEWARE of Malcolm E. Pointon

BEWARE of Malcolm E. Pointon

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes

This man poses as a real estate investor who takes your money and then claims hardship and doesn't pay you back. He pretends to be Christian and to have the best of ethics. Don't believe a word he says and DON'T GIVE HIM YOUR MONEY!!!!! You will never see it again. He owns CALM Investments and operates out of Phoenix and Tucson AZ (at least at this date).

2Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Karen Haddigan:

This man poses as a real estate investor who takes your money and then claims hardship and doesn't pay you back. He pretends to be Christian and to have the best of ethics. Don't believe a word he says and DON'T GIVE HIM YOUR MONEY!!!!! You will never see it again. He owns CALM Investments and operates out of Phoenix and Tucson AZ (at least at this date).

How long has he not paid you? Does it appear that he plans to never pay you or he simply fell on hard times? You do realize people are falling on hard times right now. I don’t know the man and he could be a sure enough scammer. 
  If he has intentions to pay you back , but just not the ability at this moment that is totally different than him planning on never paying you back. With social media it is way too easy to permanently damage a persons reputation beyond repair. If you feel and know in your heart that he never plans on paying then I guess you are saving the public. 

Whereas this is your first post on BP it seems that you created your Bigger Pockets profile for the sole purpose of making this post. 
 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Karen Haddigan:

    This man poses as a real estate investor who takes your money and then claims hardship and doesn't pay you back. He pretends to be Christian and to have the best of ethics. Don't believe a word he says and DON'T GIVE HIM YOUR MONEY!!!!! You will never see it again. He owns CALM Investments and operates out of Phoenix and Tucson AZ (at least at this date).

    How long has he not paid you? Does it appear that he plans to never pay you or he simply fell on hard times? You do realize people are falling on hard times right now. I don’t know the man and he could be a sure enough scammer. 
      If he has intentions to pay you back , but just not the ability at this moment that is totally different than him planning on never paying you back. With social media it is way too easy to permanently damage a persons reputation beyond repair. If you feel and know in your heart that he never plans on paying then I guess you are saving the public. 

    Whereas this is your first post on BP it seems that you created your Bigger Pockets profile for the sole purpose of making this post. 
     

  • Specialist · 85018 · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Do you have a contract for the money you gave him? It is wise, if investing in real estate, to make sure any money you are investing is properly backed by real estate. That way at least you have something backing the money you invested. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    There was  a "contract" but it was not backed by real estate. Another friend invested with him and had a contract backed by real estate, but then Malcolm claimed that his "hostile' partners made him sign something that suddenly put my friend from first to third position for loans on the property, so that didn't work either. 

    He strung us out for two years, at first evading our phone calls and then telling us story after story that didn't add up or make sense, finally claiming he was selling another piece of property and would give us proceeds out of that - never produced any purchase documents for the property - although was asked - and has now said another 'hostile" partner took all the money and he has nothing to pay us with.

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Karen Haddigan:

    This man poses as a real estate investor who takes your money and then claims hardship and doesn't pay you back. He pretends to be Christian and to have the best of ethics. Don't believe a word he says and DON'T GIVE HIM YOUR MONEY!!!!! You will never see it again. He owns CALM Investments and operates out of Phoenix and Tucson AZ (at least at this date).


    MALCOLM POINTON POSTS

    Up to this time, I have chosen not to respond to the erroneous and libelous posts from Mike Begovich and Steve Lillie and Karen Haddigan on Bigger Pockets. However, the horrible damage done to me, my finances, my ministry, and my reputation has rendered it necessary for me set the record straight.

    CALM investments was organized to invest in real estate. It was organized as an LLC, a limited liability company. LLC means that the partners were not personally liable for its debts. The partners liability is limited to the assets of the organization. Funds were furnished to CALM by investors, including Mike Begovich and Steve Lillie and Karen Haddigan. Neither of these men made loans to the organization. A number of things, including changes in market conditions, and failure of certain contractors to satisfactorily complete their work obligations, led to the financial failure of CALM.

    Unfortunately, everyone, including myself as well as Mike, Steve and Karen lost money on this venture. As a partner, I felt badly about the financial losses suffered by our investors. The big mistake that I made was offering the investors a limited amount of compensation for their loss from my personal assets. I chose to do this even though I had no legal personal responsibility for their losses. Neither of the other partners made any such offer. Mike and Steve chose to treat this as a legal obligation on my part rather than as the rather charitable act that it was. It is primarily for this reason that I have been subjected to such horrible treatment by Mike, Steve and Karen.

    The following statements are true and correct regarding CALM’S relationship with Mike, Steve and Karen:

    1. Neither of these people contributed any funds to the organization as a “loan”.
    2. I was not serving as a “preacher” of any church or religious organization at the time of my activities with CALM and never represented myself to anyone connected with CALM as a past, present, or future “preacher” for the purpose of giving me credibility or gaining someone’s confidence. Nor have I ever used an alias or other name in doing business.
    3. Steve never invested anything close to $500,000 in CALM. This is a gross exaggeration.
    4. Steve and I were partners in some 75 apartments. Completely without my permission or participation, Steve sold all of the units and kept the proceeds. I owned 1/3 of these apartments. He owes me an account of those funds now.
    5. I never handled money for CALM. Nor did I receive any compensation from CALM during the last 1.5 years of CALM’s operations.
    6. Attached is a post from Lanny Hamby, a retired attorney, that I asked to investigate the facts and advise me if I did in fact have a claim against these men for defamation. It is my intention to pursue this action for slander and defamation against these people if they continue to push

    these horrible claims. I will also file action against Steve for the wrongful conversion of my interest in the 75 apartment units.

    1. In other words, people, if you continue to push these claims, you will be sued in court.

    STATEMENT FROM LANNY HAMBY

    My name is Lanny Hamby. Before retiring from work as an attorney, I lived and practiced law in the West Texas area for over 40 years. I was acquainted with Malcolm Pointon during the years that he resided in West Texas. At his request I examined the posts on Bigger Pockets made by Mike Beggovich, Steve Lillie and Karen Haddigan for the purpose of seeing if a cause of action exists for defamation and liable. I have done this, and I find that these posts contain many statements that are libelous per se and in my opinion give cause for a lawsuit against both all these persons. A case for liable and defamation exists under the following circumstances:

    1. A statement causes injury to your reputation.
    2. The statement is false. The burden would be on these persons to prove the truth of the statements made but in my opinion, because I know many people who know you, this would be a difficult task.
    3. The statement or statements in this case are communicated. Posting these matters publicly is certainly a communication.
    4. The statements are definitely directed to and about you by name.
    5. The statements were made intentionally.

    In short, in my opinion you have a lay down case for defamation and liable against these persons. I believe your damages will be considerable.

    In addition to the liable suit, in my opinion there is also the matter of conversion of some 75 apartment units by Mr. Lillie. He no doubt justifies this because of his financial loss. However, the apartments were not his to sell and any proceeds should apply to the losses of all of the investors and not to his alone. This could be a huge lawsuit in and of itself.

    However, you have indicated to me that it is not your desire or intention to pursue any type of legal action against these people unless they double down and respond in the same negative tone to this response. If they do this, then they will make your day. You have no choice but to respond with legal action.

    I am stating here my humble opinion regarding these matters, but I believe it to be valid.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.