Scam Notice Regarding Malcolm Pointon and Calm Investments

Scam Notice Regarding Malcolm Pointon and Calm Investments

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

CALM INVESTMENTS, LLC and MALCOLM POINTON (or whatever alias he is using at this time) is a not to be trusted with your money. I gave a loan to Malcom and Calm investments over two years ago and have not received a single penny towards repayment of the loan that was due, with interest, a year after the loan was given. Each time I have asked for a status of the the repayment or as to the status of his real-estate dealings that the loan was for, I have either been give the run-around or lied to. Finally he explained that he was completely broke and would not be able to pay back the loan, however, through doing my own research, I have found out that calm investments had sold several properties in the phoenix area after my loan agreement with them came due. On top of that, further research has uncovered that I am not the only person Calm and Malcolm have lied to and swindled money from. I have tried to negotiate even a small monthly stipend to slowly recover the amount owed, but Malcolm has refused even that concession. My latest research has uncovered that Malcom recently (2020) moved to Huntington Beach, Ca and has opened a church. His church website is asking for donations to the church and to HIMSELF personally. Truly unbelievable the depths that he will go to swindle trusting people of their money. Please stay far away from Calm Investments and anything that Malcolm Pointon is attached to. He is a scam artist.

0Reply
81 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Yes i too am a victim of MALCOLM POINTEN and his schemes. As with all the other investors with CALM INVESTMENTS was never compensated for any of my losses, which was every penny put in his Company. He is a smooth talker who uses religion and his position as a "preacher" to slowly build trust with people prior to coming in for the kill. The lowest form of manipulation that any human can use against another. And as per the above post, it's all diversions and lies when it comes to getting status of your investment. He says he is completly broke but i know for a fact that he has rental properties in Texas (always bragged about this) but claims he is flat broke- what a croc. When i demanded a reckoning of his financials he went completly dark. Refuses to even respond. And yes he has started this new church- working on the next batch of suckers he can manipulate and defraud. So yes highly recommed you stay as far away from this scam artist as possible, as he comes across as so genuine and sincere. The absolute worst of humanity is this sociopath. You have been warned.

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Mike Begovich:

    CALM INVESTMENTS, LLC and MALCOLM POINTON (or whatever alias he is using at this time) is a not to be trusted with your money. I gave a loan to Malcom and Calm investments over two years ago and have not received a single penny towards repayment of the loan that was due, with interest, a year after the loan was given. Each time I have asked for a status of the the repayment or as to the status of his real-estate dealings that the loan was for, I have either been give the run-around or lied to. Finally he explained that he was completely broke and would not be able to pay back the loan, however, through doing my own research, I have found out that calm investments had sold several properties in the phoenix area after my loan agreement with them came due. On top of that, further research has uncovered that I am not the only person Calm and Malcolm have lied to and swindled money from. I have tried to negotiate even a small monthly stipend to slowly recover the amount owed, but Malcolm has refused even that concession. My latest research has uncovered that Malcom recently (2020) moved to Huntington Beach, Ca and has opened a church. His church website is asking for donations to the church and to HIMSELF personally. Truly unbelievable the depths that he will go to swindle trusting people of their money. Please stay far away from Calm Investments and anything that Malcolm Pointon is attached to. He is a scam artist.


    MALCOLM POINTON POSTS

    Up to this time, I have chosen not to respond to the erroneous and libelous posts from Mike Begovich and Steve Lillie and Karen Haddigan on Bigger Pockets. However, the horrible damage done to me, my finances, my ministry, and my reputation has rendered it necessary for me set the record straight.

    CALM investments was organized to invest in real estate. It was organized as an LLC, a limited liability company. LLC means that the partners were not personally liable for its debts. The partners liability is limited to the assets of the organization. Funds were furnished to CALM by investors, including Mike Begovich and Steve Lillie and Karen Haddigan. Neither of these men made loans to the organization. A number of things, including changes in market conditions, and failure of certain contractors to satisfactorily complete their work obligations, led to the financial failure of CALM.

    Unfortunately, everyone, including myself as well as Mike, Steve and Karen lost money on this venture. As a partner, I felt badly about the financial losses suffered by our investors. The big mistake that I made was offering the investors a limited amount of compensation for their loss from my personal assets. I chose to do this even though I had no legal personal responsibility for their losses. Neither of the other partners made any such offer. Mike and Steve chose to treat this as a legal obligation on my part rather than as the rather charitable act that it was. It is primarily for this reason that I have been subjected to such horrible treatment by Mike, Steve and Karen.

    The following statements are true and correct regarding CALM’S relationship with Mike, Steve and Karen:

    1. Neither of these people contributed any funds to the organization as a “loan”.
    2. I was not serving as a “preacher” of any church or religious organization at the time of my activities with CALM and never represented myself to anyone connected with CALM as a past, present, or future “preacher” for the purpose of giving me credibility or gaining someone’s confidence. Nor have I ever used an alias or other name in doing business.
    3. Steve never invested anything close to $500,000 in CALM. This is a gross exaggeration.
    4. Steve and I were partners in some 75 apartments. Completely without my permission or participation, Steve sold all of the units and kept the proceeds. I owned 1/3 of these apartments. He owes me an account of those funds now.
    5. I never handled money for CALM. Nor did I receive any compensation from CALM during the last 1.5 years of CALM’s operations.
    6. Attached is a post from Lanny Hamby, a retired attorney, that I asked to investigate the facts and advise me if I did in fact have a claim against these men for defamation. It is my intention to pursue this action for slander and defamation against these people if they continue to push

    these horrible claims. I will also file action against Steve for the wrongful conversion of my interest in the 75 apartment units.

    1. In other words, people, if you continue to push these claims, you will be sued in court.

    STATEMENT FROM LANNY HAMBY

    My name is Lanny Hamby. Before retiring from work as an attorney, I lived and practiced law in the West Texas area for over 40 years. I was acquainted with Malcolm Pointon during the years that he resided in West Texas. At his request I examined the posts on Bigger Pockets made by Mike Beggovich, Steve Lillie and Karen Haddigan for the purpose of seeing if a cause of action exists for defamation and liable. I have done this, and I find that these posts contain many statements that are libelous per se and in my opinion give cause for a lawsuit against both all these persons. A case for liable and defamation exists under the following circumstances:

    1. A statement causes injury to your reputation.
    2. The statement is false. The burden would be on these persons to prove the truth of the statements made but in my opinion, because I know many people who know you, this would be a difficult task.
    3. The statement or statements in this case are communicated. Posting these matters publicly is certainly a communication.
    4. The statements are definitely directed to and about you by name.
    5. The statements were made intentionally.

    In short, in my opinion you have a lay down case for defamation and liable against these persons. I believe your damages will be considerable.

    In addition to the liable suit, in my opinion there is also the matter of conversion of some 75 apartment units by Mr. Lillie. He no doubt justifies this because of his financial loss. However, the apartments were not his to sell and any proceeds should apply to the losses of all of the investors and not to his alone. This could be a huge lawsuit in and of itself.

    However, you have indicated to me that it is not your desire or intention to pursue any type of legal action against these people unless they double down and respond in the same negative tone to this response. If they do this, then they will make your day. You have no choice but to respond with legal action.

    I am stating here my humble opinion regarding these matters, but I believe it to be valid.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.