I'm diving into the world of short-term rentals with a focus on cash-flowing log cabins in the Smoky Mountains — especially in the Wears Valley and Sevierville areas. My most recent read "Short Term Rental, Long Term Wealth" by Avery Carl has peeked my interest.
I've been analyzing deals and we can't seem to come up with a positive cash flow that would make an investment a good decision. The plan is to take out a HELOC. With a mortgage and added expenses to manage the STR, it seems i'm looking for a needle in a haystack.
- Currently own and self-manage an excellent LTR in San Diego, CA and looking to invest in our first STR.
- The goal is to self-manage out-of-state to increase cash flow
- Turnkey property
Thank you all for having me and I'm excited to be part of this community and surrounded by like-minded professionals.
Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
1y
I don't invest in that area, but from what I hear from people that do is that you may have missed the boat on great deals. Prices have skyrocketed over the last few years, making it harder to find cash flowing opportunities.
Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
1y
I don't invest in that area, but from what I hear from people that do is that you may have missed the boat on great deals. Prices have skyrocketed over the last few years, making it harder to find cash flowing opportunities.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 7 votes
1y
I think that region could have something available but as you said you are looking for a needle in a haystack. Ultimately I think looking at another location that personally peaks your interest may be a better option and has other upside outside of pure cashflow. Happy to give more insight if you are interested
Hi Jennifer. We are looking for an equity partner for an STR cabin in Pigeon Forge if you are interested. We picked it up as a sub-2 deal so it has below market interest rates and has good upside over next few years. If you would like to know more about it just let me know.