Short-Term Rentals or Long-Term Rentals

Short-Term Rentals or Long-Term Rentals

Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 90 votes

Hi. What are your thoughts on what will perform better going forward, short-term rentals or long-term rentals? 

This is a topic that comes up very frequently in conversations with clients, investors, and friends here in Florida. I currently own 5 long-term rentals and 3 short term rentals, and everyday I wonder which one will do better over the next few years. Below is my answer to this question, but I'm very curious on what others think. 

Long-term rentals

Pros:

  • Appreciation – in central Florida we’ve seen our condos and townhomes appreciate quite a bit since 2016. My opinion is that this will shift over the next few years in favor of single-family homes as people start valuing privacy, having space for their family and pets, and move to the suburbs. But for now, they have been fabulous investments.
  • Passive Income – it doesn’t get any more passive. Besides fixing an appliance a year, if you have good tenants you can enjoy the fruits of long-term rentals for a long time. I think every passive income retirement plan should include long-term rentals.

Cons:

  • Cashflow: when I started in 2016 the financial metrics were very good (monthly rent / price were greater than 1%, cap rates were decent at over 7%). Nowadays it’s very hard to find a long-term rental that meets most investor’s criteria in Orlando. If you move outside of the city you can still find attractive opportunities, but those present their own challenges.

Short-term rentals

Pros:

  • Cashflow: the cashflow can be attractive. These past few months have been challenging, but the cashflow continues to be better than long-term rentals.
  • Leveraged play on real estate and COVID aftermath – Airbnb homes tend to be bigger than long-term rentals. I personally consider real estate to be one of the best investments you can make for the next 10 years given record low interest rates, accommodative fiscal and monetary policy, and tax benefits. Unless your Airbnb home is in a vacation rental community, you can also benefit from the structural move to the suburbs and bigger homes. At the same time, once people start traveling, I think they will prefer the privacy of an Airbnb home vs traditional hotels.

Cons:

  • A lot of work – managing a short-term vacation rental is a full-time job in itself. If I were to calculate the net cash flow / hours worked in 2020 relative to my long-term rentals…
  • Seasonal business & COVID – there are many systems you can use in your business to make it more predictable, but there is still a lot of uncertainty out there. If you can weather the storm and up your game, I think short-term rentals will become a lucrative investment. Until then, you can’t ignore this headwind.

Conclusion

For now, I continue to focus on building my portfolio with short-term rentals on the view that once this year ends and people start traveling, they will do extremely well. That’s also because my husband and I have the time, energy, and motivation to put the hours required to renovate and manage a short-term rental. If we didn’t have the time or did not share the views of short-term vacation rentals doing extremely well post COVID, then we wouldn’t pursue this strategy.

Once COVID ends, I can see myself jumping back into long-term rentals (buy the rumor, sell the news). I can see a lot of landlords using the opportunity to sell their properties due to issues with their tenants not paying.

Regardless, I think both strategies will do very well over the long-term because appreciation and tax benefits can represent a large portion of the gains in real estate. Finally, I think real estate in Florida will do very well compared to other parts of the country (this also can be another full post).

Do you have different views? What are your thoughts?

Serena

6Reply
168 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Serena Kim great thread. You're spot on regarding cleaners (be sure to give them a nice holiday gift).

I specialize in only extended stay / mid-term rentals. My typical stay is 4 months for 27 units. 

It's been my experience that the revenue is lest for longer stays but the net income is the same - especially when factoring the cost of my time. 

If you follow the hotel industry, you'll see many brands moving toward the extended stay model because it's held up in stressful times. Even during a pandemic, government, construction and healthcare work continues.

In fact, mid-priced extended stay hotels were barely affected by the pandemic.

That's why I vote for extended stay rentals. They typically yield 3x the net income over traditional rentals, they are easy to market to different audiences in the mobile workforce, and they are not time consuming.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Garden, FL · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Serena Kim

    Hi Serena, I am curious about your short term rental time commitment comment. I have a STR in TN with over 90% occupancy year round and I spend about 30 minutes per week managing it, from my phone.

    Maybe there are systems you can put in place to help cut back on the time you have to spend on it?

    I agree a mix of both is nice as well, but the earnings on the STR side are what keeps me attracted to it.

    -Mike

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    @Michael Stokes Thanks for your comment. I'm curious, what systems do you use to manager your STR?

    The STR that I have are fairly large houses (3–4br) with pools. What I've noticed is that back in 2018-2019, when I was managing them from NY through my phone as well, people were ok with little details not being perfect. Now in the COVID world, guests are extremely detail oriented.

    This year I spent a ton of time remodeling the homes, creating a system (checklists for cleaning team, signs everywhere in the house), switched cleaning team, and eventually preparing to allow the business to run by itself. For now I personally inspect after each check out, and make sure that everything is up to the highest standards. No one cares about your home like you do.

    I use the following to automate as much as possible:

    August SmartLock

    Nest Thermostats

    Smartbnb for communication with guests and cleaning team

    BeyondPricing for calendar pricing

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    @Serena Kim Those are good tools to be using, you can also use services such as turnoverbnb for the cleaners.  If you continue with the mindset of no one cares about your home like you do (which is true), then you will forever be making it a part-time/full-time job.  In my opinion, really finding cleaners you care about will help with this alot.  If you want to inspect everything afterwards you can pay your cleaners for another 20 minutes to take quick photos and send them to you.  

    The main issue with the approach of walking it each time is you are hurting your ability to scale if you won't let go of that control level.  Will seeing the unit once a month while receiving a few photos post clean each time alleviate that mind set?

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    @Reese Newell

    I like this idea a lot. Our goal is to be able to manage the business from an iPad anywhere in the world, and for that we have to remove ourselves form the equation.

    Luckily we now have a great cleaning team. Over the past 20+ reservations everyone has loved the cleanliness.

    I’m going to speak with our cleaning team to see how best to implement.

    Thanks Reese!

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    @Serena Kim That is great, maybe they can do a quick video that they send to you via Ipad instead of photos as well to make it even faster.  If everyone is happy with them then the place is most likely to be in outstanding condition.  Even maybe pop in unexpectedly on some days when it is not rented just to do an eye test.  This would be my approach when I have downtime, but I wouldn't be doing it in place of productive activities if my day needs me to get to them.  Finding the cleaners is the biggest part!

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    @Reese Newell I agree 100%. A 5-10min video walkthrough should do it, and easier than taking a bunch of specific pictures 

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hello Serena! Great tips above, I agree with all of them! Also additionally I have found leveraging social media platforms and being on as many STR OTA's as you can to help optimize your STRs. I personally use the PMS IGMS to keep everything synced calendar wise, but a lot of times one can sync everything and keep it organized on an Airbnb or Vrbo calendar. Have been getting a lot of leads on LI and IG in the post COVID climate. Probably wouldn't hurt to get plugged with in with a national network of STR managers who lead share, with you having premium rentals with pools, another great way to optimize would be to make sure you are everyone's FL go-to when in need of a premium STR experience.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Serena Kim great thread. You're spot on regarding cleaners (be sure to give them a nice holiday gift).

    I specialize in only extended stay / mid-term rentals. My typical stay is 4 months for 27 units. 

    It's been my experience that the revenue is lest for longer stays but the net income is the same - especially when factoring the cost of my time. 

    If you follow the hotel industry, you'll see many brands moving toward the extended stay model because it's held up in stressful times. Even during a pandemic, government, construction and healthcare work continues.

    In fact, mid-priced extended stay hotels were barely affected by the pandemic.

    That's why I vote for extended stay rentals. They typically yield 3x the net income over traditional rentals, they are easy to market to different audiences in the mobile workforce, and they are not time consuming.

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Forbearance plans are soon to expire for many and most may not get extensions. Possible foreclosures are in the near horizon for these homeowners. These borrowers won't be able to refi while still holding onto their higher interest rate homes. Selling their home won't be enough to purchase another home until they have returned to being qualified for a new mortgage. Do you see this being a trend coming soon with an increase in renters getting back on their feet? 

  • Realtor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2020 · 73 posts · 72 votes
    5y

    @Serena Kim I've also had STR and some other cons I've experienced are:

    - changes in government policies/laws that may change how you do business with STRs

    - if you own condo units or homes with an HOA, possible changes in by-laws (I've seen HOA boards go from allowing STR to disallowing them) which may leave you SOL especially if it's a property recently purchased

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    @Al Williamson totally true. More recently I've been playing with pricing strategies across Airbnb and VRBO and have been able to land a few 1-month reservations. As you mentioned, same income (sometimes even more), significantly less hassle. Love the idea 

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    @Andrew Smith I think it's the "common knowledge" that we'll see a wave of foreclosures this year (2021). I've started to see a few, but I don't think it will hurt the market. There is a ton of demand, still low inventories, and too much cash in the sidelines. My guess is that there will be some opportunities in that segment, but not something I'm actively looking into anymore.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    @Natasha Jansen that's probably the highest risk with short-term rentals, and you probably experienced this as well in mid-2020 when they banned them in Florida temporarily. With that being said, here in Florida it's too big of an economy to shut down abruptly like it has been done in some big cities. In the end, as long as there is plenty of affordable housing, the government won't mind taking the extra revenue. And I don't think hotels have been too impacted, since short-term rentals cater to a slightly different customer. I could be very wrong on this, let's see

  • Real Estate Broker · Gulf Shores, Orange Beach · Member since 2020 · 65 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    Do you use the same formula in buying a str as you do ltr? My husband and I are new investors and are interested in getting into the str market. How do we find out what the income may be on a particular home that is not already an airbnb? Are there homes for sale that are already str's? Thank you.

  • Bryan CrawfordPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Santa Rosa Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Paige Hutchinson I am a new STR investor myself and I have used Airdna and Mashvisor to run data on an area or specific address. I'm not sure if they are best, but it's a good start! Good luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Gulf Shores, Orange Beach · Member since 2020 · 65 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    Thank you, will check those out. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    @Paige Hutchinson

    From my experience it’s not too difficult to run some numbers. For central Florida in str houses between 250k to 350k (which is a bulk of the inventory), I run the numbers with 5 scenarios (this would be for a simple 3-4br house):

    Very weak $100 a night x 20 nights per month

    Weak $120 a night x 22 nights

    Normal $135 a night x 24

    Good $150 a night x 25

    Above avg $175 a night x 27

    Resort houses would have higher rates. January through May would be between Normal and good, August through October Weak to Normal, then December Above Avg.

    Expenses:

    HOA (varies, but assume 200)

    Electricity (250-300)

    Water (50-75)

    Internet (60)

    Landscaping (may be in HOA or 75)

    Pool (80)

    CAPEX (100)

    Mortgage, insurance and tax (varies)

    Best research you could do is imagining you are a guest, and checking the area you are looking for. Try to get a sense for the market. Are houses that allow pets charging more? What’s the premium for a pool? Game room or no game room? Etc.

    Hope that helps, feel free to reach out with any questions.

    Serena

  • Real Estate Broker · Gulf Shores, Orange Beach · Member since 2020 · 65 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    Thank you Serena, appreciate the information!

  • Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 402 votes
    5y

    I wonder what the estimated total cost would be to convert a long term rental into a short term rental? Buying all the furniture, appliances, extras, taking the carpet out for vinyl flooring, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @cory s. I've seen set up cost vary all over the place. So many variables. If you are good at finding deals on used items, then you'll keep your start up cost at a min.

    If you're the analytical type, then a breakeven framework will help you make a decision.  It goes like this.

    The investment to turn the place into a nice rental that cash flows is your baseline. That's a given. So don't included cost to repair wobbly stairs or deferred maintenance.

    OK, after that, you need to estimate your net annual income from your furnished rental. That net annual should be your max budget for the conversion.

    You'll need to be resourceful to stay within the budget but that discipline is absolutely needed to run a truly profitable business.

    You don't want to fool yourself into thinking you're profitable while you're still paying off your set up costs.

    Hope that helps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 244 posts · 275 votes
    5y

    Hi @Serena Kim! Good post! I'm interesting in purchasing an STR in the Orlando area. Based on the research I've done the area does really well with STRs. I'm not sure which area to buy in. Maybe you can help since you're an agent and own STRs. I'll send you a connection request and hopefully we can have a chat.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 735 votes
    4y

    I would do some diligence on where one buys STR's. A lot of backlash these days in some communities. Look no further than the resort communities in Colorado. Aspen, Steamboat Springs and Summit County. The city councils and county commissioners appear to have no issue violating the 5th and 14th amendment rights of property owners. Just FYI.

  • Realtor · Orlando · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    Hi Serena,
    It's nice to meet a fellow investor in the Orlando area. I also have a lot of clients asking me the same questions. I personally own 7 short-term rentals (all less than 3 miles from Disney) and 4 long-term rentals. Without a doubt, in non-covid years, STRs outperform LTRs hands-down. However, you have to factor in your time because income from STR isn't passive income compared to income from LTR. Running a vacation rental business is like operating a business. I know a lot of vacation homeowners don't make money because they didn't put in the necessary time and money into their properties.

    I have sold many vacation homes in the Orlando area this year and I've always advised my clients this is not a business where you can be hands-off and expect to make money. My wife and I run our own management company here locally and we constantly have to improve our properties in order to make sure our guests are satisfied and our properties are maintained and clean. In addition, theming and pricing are also key to maximizing your ROI. There are just so many things you have to learn in order to run a successful short-term rental business. In a nutshell, you are basically owning a hotel room, so if you want to make money, run it like a hotel.

    The Orlando vacation home market is very saturated so picking the right location is so important to be successful in this competitive environment.  If my clients are willing to put in the time and effort, then I would say this business will be a very rewarding and profitable business.  This is why we own 7 units here near Disney World and we are continuing to buy more.  Hope this helps!








  • Member since 2022 · 35 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    Thanks Serena

  • Lou BenvenistePro Member
    Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Hi Serena,

    Congratulations on all of your success! This has been a very informative conversation and I'm so glad I found it. I've been thinking of investing in the STR space in hopes of replacing my full time W-2 gig (as a network engineer) if the numbers are right. I'd really like to connect and explore the options with you if/when you have the time. In the mean time, can you recommend any sources of information I might digest, and is there anything I might be able to help you with?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.