Seeking advice on areas to target for a house hack in Maryland

Seeking advice on areas to target for a house hack in Maryland

Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 4 votes

Hi,

I live in Maryland, and I'm interested in doing a house hack. I want to buy a property and find a renter who can either cover or heavily subsidize my mortgage payment. A duplex would be ideal. Though, I'd also consider a a setup in which I could rent out something like a basement apartment.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on areas to target. I'm looking for something $150,000 or less. I work in Owings Mills, so I'd want to be within 45 minutes of that area at most. I'll be living there, so I don't want a home in a dangerous area. Also, I'd generally prefer to avoid Baltimore City.

Does anyone have any advice on areas I should look at?

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Tim JacobPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
6y

Like has been stated I would consider a single family probably a rowhouse for the price you are looking for.  I'd get one with with a full bathroom in the basement.  Id like to note that legally you are only supposed to have a maximum 2 unrelated people live together in Baltimore county. This is mainly enforced in Towson and places with a larger college presence.  

I will say for a househack consider places with a younger presence.  Portions of the city are ok.  Yes the laws are not in your favor other than the 1 I just described and taxes are high but I would really focus on a house hackable neighborhood.  If you get the wrong people it could make the whole experience a nightmare.  Location really does matter. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 38 votes
    6y

    @Bob Jones You're going to be hard-pressed to find any duplexes for sale under $150,000 outside of the city. Even foreclosures in the different counties will generally be at least $200,000. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you'll really have to keep your eyes open for that and it'll probably need a significant amount of work. The only area that comes close that isn't Baltimore city that I can think of is Hanover, PA but that may be a bit more than 45 min. Possibly parts of Baltimore county like Dundalk.

  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    $150,000 ?? are you paying this in cash for the right property or do you require financing?

    If you are dealing with that much cash - there are way better ways to get a great return on your money. Need financing - "hard road ahead!"

    Position yourself with available cash - a credit line, partners, better with rich relatives.

    there are many ways to create cash flow - controlling real estate using creative financing, pro-active expired, post auctions, pre-auction pre foreclosures - delayed settlements, use of skinny contracts. referral networks, estates, land and lots and making many non-committal offers, violations and housing court. TO MENTION A FEW IDEAS that have been working for me over the 50 years of investing and auctioning real estate.

    You might want to lay out a pro-active plan and work it daily. connect with others who are doing what you want to do.

    wishing you good luck on building a great cash flow on an accelerated basis.

    Charlie

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Bob Jones I agree with the other poster that a duplex, triplex etc are harder to find and not in that price range.

    I think you could find a townhouse for around $150k and rent the rooms out. 

    If you find a property and aren't sure how to run the numbers, post about it here and we can give you some pointers.

    Good luck!

  • Tim JacobPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    Like has been stated I would consider a single family probably a rowhouse for the price you are looking for.  I'd get one with with a full bathroom in the basement.  Id like to note that legally you are only supposed to have a maximum 2 unrelated people live together in Baltimore county. This is mainly enforced in Towson and places with a larger college presence.  

    I will say for a househack consider places with a younger presence.  Portions of the city are ok.  Yes the laws are not in your favor other than the 1 I just described and taxes are high but I would really focus on a house hackable neighborhood.  If you get the wrong people it could make the whole experience a nightmare.  Location really does matter. 

  • Investor · Baltimore County, MD · Member since 2014 · 466 posts · 439 votes
    6y

    @Tim Jacob, does the 2-unrelated-adults law apply to owner-occupied properties in the county as well? I didn't think it did but after researching some, it seems it applies to anything that's not deemed a "boarding or rooming" house (new law in December redefined this). So, I guess the law does prohibit you as the owner-occupant from renting to 2 other unrelated adults?

    Ultimately, like you alluded to, the enforcement comes down to neighbors and parking (and maybe parties), but I was just curious about the law's technicalities.

    @Bob Jones, since you work in Owings Mills, I would look into Owings Mills, Pikesville, Cockeysville, or Towson. 

  • Tim JacobPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
    6y

    its 2 unrelated adults for everyone regardless of if its a primary residence of the owner so legally a single person can only rent 1 room to 1 other person

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 14 votes
    6y


    @Bob Jones, have you looked at Westminster? That's a really easy commute to Owings Mills and they have a historic downtown with older duplexes. They'll probably still be in the $200-$250k range though, but maybe you could house hack a townhome or SFH in the $150k range. It's Carroll County too, not Baltimore County.

    I live in Frederick and have a hard time finding duplexes too. There are plenty of really cheap ones in Hagerstown around $150k, but that's a much longer commute, and there's a reason they're so cheap ...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.