Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 69 votes
6y
Hey @Nick Avola where exactly are you going to be hunting? Most agents have strong lending relationships. As for GCs, if you are going to go 203K you can only work with 203k certified contractors anyways, so just be mindful of that.
Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 137 votes
6y
@Nick Avola
Hi Nick -
I think answers would vary based on region - do you have a sense for where you’re looking? It sounds like you’re looking to house hack which is a great option - I’ve been doing it in Boston for the last three years.
Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 69 votes
6y
Hey @Nick Avola where exactly are you going to be hunting? Most agents have strong lending relationships. As for GCs, if you are going to go 203K you can only work with 203k certified contractors anyways, so just be mindful of that.
Ayer, MA · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 22 votes
6y
@Nick Avola You do not need a 203k certified contractor for your work. I think there are only 2 registered in MA anyway. You just need a licensed contractor and your lender can provide you with a list of approved contractors that they've worked with before. You still have to do your homework on each contractor though. I ended up having to switch contractors at the 11th hour so-to-speak and wasn't able to vet my current contractor properly. He's good but because he doesn't have a good team he's slowwwww. PM me if you have any questions about the 203k process. This is my second house.
Investor · Franklin, MA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
6y
I just wanted to thank everybody for their helpful responses here. I've reached out to many of you privately - and hope to chat with each of you in the near future. Great stuff, BP family!