Tenants let dogs go bathroom on deck- advice.

Tenants let dogs go bathroom on deck- advice.

Investor · Excelsior, MN · Member since 2017 · 85 posts · 37 votes

I feel I should preface this by saying that the tenants were ones I inherited for only two months.  

The first time I went to a showing on the property I noticed that there were appox. 10-15 piles of dogs poop on the 2nd floor deck.  We are talking a standard deck off the back of an up-down duplex.  When we took over possession of the property we immediately sent a warning to the tenants that they need to remove the dogs poop.  The next couple times I went over to the unit there was no poop on the deck.

Fast forward a month and the tenants moved out.   My wife and I went over to meet them and they had just left keys and opted out of the walk through on the property.  They left the property in very good shape which I was obviously happy about.  When we went out on the deck, we were hit with a wall of waste smell.  Mainly the smell of pee/ammonia but also residual poop smell.  It was so bad that it was actually a little gross to stand on the deck. 

The move out was only a couple days ago and I still have their deposit.  I am not quite sure what/if any action I should take as far as their deposit goes.  I have to have the deck treated/cleaned in some fashion.  I just can't possibly move new tenants in to that unit with the deck smelling that way.

I was wondering if anyone else had come across this and what they did?  How they got rid of the smell?  Am I in the right to charge them to have this cleaned?

Thanks in advance!!

0Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
9y

A good bleach scrub, pressure wash and stain or seal the deck will take care of the problem. Decks are pressure-treated, which doesn't make them indestructible but does allow them to be exposed to the elements for a long time without degradation. I would be surprised if you couldn't clean it, and any deck boards too bad off can simply be replaced. 

Have it done professionally and you can just deduct it from the deposit. That is not normal wear & tear or cleaning. 

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Excelsior, MN · Member since 2017 · 85 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @DeannaMcCormick this seems like it would be right in your alley of knowledge.  Any advice?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    A good bleach scrub, pressure wash and stain or seal the deck will take care of the problem. Decks are pressure-treated, which doesn't make them indestructible but does allow them to be exposed to the elements for a long time without degradation. I would be surprised if you couldn't clean it, and any deck boards too bad off can simply be replaced. 

    Have it done professionally and you can just deduct it from the deposit. That is not normal wear & tear or cleaning. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    This is exactly why you have the security deposit.  Document everything - pictures, conversations, notices you sent, receipts from the professional work, and deduct it from their security deposit with a detailed notice of the deduction.

  • Investor · Crystal, MN · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 277 votes
    9y

    Have it cleaned, and bill it to them.  Not normal wear and tear.  

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    What they said.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Tagging @Deanna McCormick for you. But yes, have professionally cleaned and take it out of their deposit. This is disgusting.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Mindy Jensen  thinks I might have an idea.

    IF THIS IS AS bad as it smells WHATS worse is you only owned the building 2 months.. so your damages are pretty minimal.. the previous owner had larger percentage of loss,, 2 months of dog crap isn't enough for you to show  permanent damage but 12 month is  I'd for sure charge for power washing, use a deck cleaner..sand with a pole sander once dried and put down a good sealer.. is the deck cedar or green treated,, you'll have better luck with cedar.. if it's green treated,, I'd consider painting the deck floor after power washing and let dry completely and seal with kilz first and then paint.. So get a bid for power washing and painting / sealing.. and get that sent to them ASAP so you don't miss the 21 day deadline.   I'd charge them for the deck power wash and sealing / or painting and have the power washer contractor make note of urine on his service charge.. 

    IF this were your property for the entire time the tenant had lived there and thier pets had caused this type of damage I would recommend you talk to a deck replacement person and get a bid for replacing the urine soaked wood.. you will never probably restore this deck the wood has absorbed to much urine. They used the deck as a kennel and that's terrible.. 

    It's worse when inside... 

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @Deanna McCormick , he had tried unsuccessfully to tag you above. But yes, you ALWAYS have a good idea or three.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.