Anyone do Jersey Shore Summer Rentals?

Anyone do Jersey Shore Summer Rentals?

Engineer · Monmouth Beach, NJ · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 25 votes

I want to rent my condo on the shore. Does anybody have experience doing this? where should I list besides airbnb and craigslist? What are some of your experiences ?

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2017 · 119 posts · 60 votes
8y

I would love to buy a home on LBI that pays itself off with rentals. But I believe in science and have a huge fear that the entire island will be underwater within 50 years.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · National · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 101 votes
    8y
    Patrick, the shore has a long history with short term rentals. Platforms like Airbnb are always an option as well as Jersey Shore specific sites by local vacation rental managers if you aren’t looking to manage the bookings yourself. This market books pretty quick and also has repeat business year after year. Are you an ocean view listing? If you need any assistance feel free to reach out.
  • Lender · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 549 votes
    8y
    I’d actually avoid Craigslist
  • Real Estate Professional · Park Ridge, NJ · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    We've used VRBO and Homeaway when we've looked for places to stay on the shore; but they've adjusted their business model and make both the owner and renter pay a fee.  Depending on where your condo is, you may have a local website that you could use; but may not get as much exposure.

  • Lender · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 549 votes
    8y

    I mentioned I'd avoid craigslist because of the number of scammers, but a lot of people do use it and feed it back to another more reputable website. 

  • Lansdale, PA · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    If you plan to list with a property manager with rentals, call around and get rates. They are far more than the more talked about 10% property management fee that long term rentals encounter. 

    Another thing to consider is if looking into condos, make sure you can rent them. There is always some condos where they only let Owner Occupied and no rentals, Though this is probably more common in Florida where its more long term.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2017 · 119 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    I would love to buy a home on LBI that pays itself off with rentals. But I believe in science and have a huge fear that the entire island will be underwater within 50 years.

  • Property Manager · Somerset, NJ · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    Patrick I work with vacation rentals message me if you’d like.
  • Investor · Manasquan, NJ · Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Chris Connery

    I’m with you on that! That whole seaside to lavalette area is concerning. Those cut out “shore areas” is brick are sketchy too.

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Connery:

    I would love to buy a home on LBI that pays itself off with rentals. But I believe in science and have a huge fear that the entire island will be underwater within 50 years.

    That gave me a good chuckle. Thank you. 

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    I have a condo in LBI that I rent out for a good chunk of the summer, but do use it personally as well, so we’re not looking to completely book up.

    We started using VRBO and transitioned into VRLBI, which lets me directly communicate with the renter.  VRBO has a bunch of restrictions on communication.

    I believe VRLBI has started to set something similar in wildwood, but is not available for the whole jersey shore.

  • Investor · Manasquan, NJ · Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Patrick Martone

    Another thing you need to be aware of that so many aren’t is that the governer passed a short term rent tax last October, but I’ve heard he’s considering rewriting it. However it is still on the books and it requests that all homeowners that are renting their homes for 90 days or less to register with the state. The law also states there is a 10% tax on the rental if you don’t use a realtor.

    If you use Airbnb they are required to take care of this tax for you. If you use craigslist (which most for rent by owners do) you are required to pay it yourself.

    As a realtor on the Jersey Shore who is also an owner in our rental market here. If you have any more questions I’d love to help. My commission is negotiable for rentals because I believe home owners have the right to rent their property and shouldn’t be taxed for it but Gov Murphy feels differently.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    Hi @Patrick Martone, if you are looking for a longer term rental you can also list it directly on Zillow. That is where I had the most responses from.

  • Lender · Newark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 695 posts · 252 votes
    7y

    how's the shore rental coming along

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 103 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Lots of seemingly cheap multi's in Seaside as of late....Aren't they trying to revamp that area and make it more family friendly again?

  • Morristown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Joe Crupi

    They are 100% revamping Seaside and branding it as family friendly. I own a rental there and have had 100% occupancy both last and this summer using Airbnb and HomeAway. Happy to answer any questions!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 103 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Jena Richards

    O wow. Thats great to hear! What streets are you on? There seems to be a good number of em to the west of the boardwalk

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 103 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Jena Richards

    Actually. Last comment was kind of dumb bc theyd all be west of the boardwalk lol. But wjat streets/blocks do you like? Would heavily avoid and why? Thanks!

  • Morristown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Joe Crupi

    Thanks for the laugh!!! Feel free to shoot me a PM with property specific questions in the area. There are so many nuances block by block and property by property. I’m looking at one now for example that would work as a long term rental and not as a vacation rental. I know where most section 8 renters are located in town and also have connections to the code enforcement office if you need any specific questions answered.

    For my own piece of mind, I start my search at BFE and higher to make sure my flood insurance won’t be eating too high into profits

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.