Oreland, PA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
Hi everyone,
I have been looking for my first investment property, definitely a buy and hold. I absolutely love Brewerytown. I work out in the suburbs so the access to Kelly Dr, 76 etc is very ideal.
With that being said I am still slightly nervous about my safety if I buy on a street that has still not made the turn around. I am a 24 year old woman, I will be getting home late on occasion and I do not want to be scared walking from my car to my house.
Since I am new to this I am unaware of how long it will take for these blocks to gentrify. I have looked at certain blocks to see how many of the homes have been recently purchased in hopes that is a sign someone has the intentions of flipping those homes. I have been down to the neighborhood several times both during the day and at night, and I really do love it.
I guess I am just looking for some insight on how to tell if the block will be gentrified sooner rather than later.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 80 votes
9y
Crime doesn't know any neighborhoods. It won't discriminate from graduate hospital to brewerytown or fishtown. Awareness of the situation is your best bet. If the numbers work, go for it.
Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 69 votes
9y
@Allison Pollock Welcome to BP. There are other form posts about Brewerytown on BP already, if you search 'brewerytown' in the search bar, they should come up.
But, the closer to Girard the safer you'll be (most likely). You don't want to go more north than Oxford st, and especially Cecil B Moore. Then you'll be in Strawberry Mansion, which is getting better, but if safety is a large concern, just be wary. As you know, look for new construction and the flannel shirts.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 177 posts · 80 votes
9y
Crime doesn't know any neighborhoods. It won't discriminate from graduate hospital to brewerytown or fishtown. Awareness of the situation is your best bet. If the numbers work, go for it.
Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 53 votes
9y
Honestly, getting to know all your neighbors is probably the best way to be safe. Once everyone knows you, those in the vicinity know not to cause you harm. My wife and I have lived here since 2013 and have never had issues with safety. Some things have happened around us, but because we know everyone on our street, I am sure we have avoided things than if we just kept to ourselves.
People are people. They want the same things we do - safe neighborhoods, economic opportunities, healthy food, a safe place for children to play, good schools, respect, etc. People here won't bite. You may just have to make some cookies or something and introduce yourself, say you're thinking of moving into the area, and get to know folks. Yes Philadelphians have thick skin, blunt answers to your questions, but you have to get past that and really show interest in getting to know people for who they are. Then you can start earning trust. And once you earn trust, people will be friendly and loyal to you. You have to be genuine and get to know everyone by name.
Also understand that this was a very dangerous area in the past that has been "cleaned up" and people will feel differently about what's going on around them. I think developers have a responsibility to be respectful in the midst of what many see as gentrification. I think most developers are, but some have caused harm by not being respectful and truthful. And some people here have no recourse to combat that because of their socioeconomic situation. Ok, stepping off my soapbox.