My Plan To Takeover Houston | Feedback Needed!

My Plan To Takeover Houston | Feedback Needed!

Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 11 votes

Hey BP community! I've been wanting to write a post like this for a while and as the time nears for me to jump into REI, I feel like now is the right time. I would like to share a bit of my story with you along with my future plans — it would mean a lot to me to receive some feedback and guidance from you all — especially those in the Houston area. 

My name is Hunter, I'm 23 years old and from Houston, TX. I married my beautiful wife Ana last year in November and that's right about the time I first started hearing about REI. Ana is Brazilian and we decided to get married in Brazil — it was the most incredible wedding and I'm so glad we did — but, things didn't go as planned. We were planning to just have the ceremony in Brazil and then move back to the States after, but we quickly found out that wasn't possible when we went to the U.S. embassy shortly after our engagement and got denied entry back to the States. She had her tourist visa at that time and was planning to get her student visa to study, but when they saw we were engaged they told us that we'd have to go through the entire process for a marriage visa after we got married.... average waiting time — 14 months. We knew in that moment that we would be in a for quite the ride for our first year of marriage.

Fast-forward one year and we are still here in Brazil waiting for her visa... we are expecting to have it in the next 3 months but it's impossible to know for sure. All that to say, it's been a challenging time but we can see how God has used it for good. I was forced to start generating income to provide for us and working here in Brazil wasn't an option (a gringo who doesn't speak Portuguese — not a chance). So I started a website design & development company and thank God, it’s been successful. That part of the story has been challenging but also incredible in so many ways — not only been able to generate enough income to support my wife and me but I’ve also learned invaluable business skills along the way and I'm super thankful for it.

Again, that's been great — but for me, the most impactful thing during this year was being introduced to the world of real estate investing. Through books, podcasts, forums, etc (mostly BiggerPockets material) I feel like I’ve been able to surround myself with wildly successful and awesome individuals that have opened my mind to so much and impacted me greatly — even all the way over here in Brazil. I could go into loads of detail on just that but I’ll spare you guys the info. Again, it's been an extremely difficult season for a lot of reasons but so much good has come out it. 

All that to say, here I am now, in Brazil, with a business that is generating enough income to live off of, and a fire inside me to return to the States and jump headfirst in REI. Here's where I need you guys' help! 

At first, I was all-in about flipping houses and doing buy-and-holds — but after hearing more and more stories and becoming more educated on other strategies, I’ve questioned lately if this is just a good route and not the best route! 

I think things like "What about apartment syndication? Should I jump into that instead? That's where the real money is!" I'm not someone overanalyzes and never takes action, at least not most of the time... I just want to make the right decision and not waste time. After months of thinking and accessing my options...  I'm back at square one of wanting to flip houses as my main REI strategy — to start out at least. For a couple of reasons:

1) It sounds fun and my wife and I would both have a blast doing it... plus I think we’ll make a perfect team with our different skill sets. Yes, I said “fun” but I am well aware it’s not without its difficulties and challenges — I just mean that we will enjoy it as well and really like the idea of it, as most people do.

2) I think it's a great place to start my REI career, as opposed to trying to jump directly into something more complex like apartment syndication, for example.

I’ve spoken to a few syndicators and had them tell me there's really no “barrier to entry” and that if I make the right connections then I don’t need to start with flipping before getting into syndication. But I’m not sure about that... I feel like there’s wisdom in starting small and since I’m completely new to the business, I’m thinking it would be good to start out flipping and take those first years in the business to make connections and learn more. Then again, I just don’t know — I think it could go either way. I used syndication as an example but really what I mean is just going bigger, I don’t even know if I’d want to get into syndication… but, my end goal is to own 500 units consisting of big multi-family apartment complexes… and I’m thinking it’s going to be necessary to syndicate if I am planning to buy them before I’m old and gray. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I have $120k cash (sharing that because I need insight on how to best utilize it) and here's where I’m at with my plan:

  • Step 1 | Get my wife’s visa and move back to Houston.
  • Step 2| Find a mentor in Houston & work for free in exchange for them teaching me the business. I will add value to their life by doing absolutely anything they need — searching for deals, handling contracts, dealing with tenants, raising money, bring groceries to them at 9PM at night, etc. I can also offer website services to them free of charge because of my company and I’m planning to get my RE license too, as I’ll state in a step below.
  • Step 3| Continue running my business — I have removed myself from it enough that I’m only working a few hours a day — this will allow me to work for free for my mentor and still bring in money to support my family.
  • Step 4 | Get my RE license so I can:
  • a) buy houses of the MLS and save on commission

    b) be a part-time agent to make cash on the side while making connections

    c) add even more value to my mentor by having access to MLS and the ability to make offers on properties.

    Step 5 | Use our $120k to buy a home (planning to find a good deal and rehab — of course — but we will settle down in the home, not sell it for profit and move the next year… we want to plant our roots.

    Step 6 | Refi cash out of the house to use for my first deals when the time is right. My father is a brilliant mortgage broker so that will be at almost no cost, thank God. Because of this I wanting to put all cash down into the some so my monthly payments will be very low and I’ll be able to have extremely low overhead while working for free for my mentor. I will also be able to put that much more cashback and won’t be making huge interest payments.

    Step 7 | Be patient, humble, and partner with someone on my first few deals — ideally my mentor.

    Step 8 | Continue learning, growing, and building my portfolio… etc.

I’m sure I left some things out… but I think you get the gist. Feel free to pick apart my game plan and ask for clarity on things on things where needed, I’d really appreciate it. I just want to do things right and I don’t want to do it on my own... I’ve learned the hard way that goes.

Sidenote — I know I mentioned syndication and owning big multifamilies as part of the end goal but I'd like to add we are also considering new construction as well. My wife is 21 and will be going to get her Civil Engineering degree at the University of Houston as soon as we return. We realize this is something that may take years to build up to (no pun intended) but just wanted to put that out there as well. She is very passionate about construction, design, etc and has an incredible eye for it. Her father is building a multi-family here in Brazil at the moment and we've been blessed to be here and be a part of that... obviously it looks a bit different here but still awesome to be around real estate, even here in Brazil.

Please feel free to respond however you'd like, but here are a few specific questions that I have:

a) What do you think about my plan? What do you like and what you not like?

b) What do you think about my strategy for using the money to start out? Is it wise to be patient wait like I am planning to do or would you suggest I just jump in? (I think I already have my mind made up on this one but I'd still like to hear your opinion)

c) What practical advice do you have for me after returning to the States?

d) I believe finding the right mentor is the most important key in all of this.. what are your recommendations for doing so?

e) If you were in my shoes, living here in Brazil and waiting to come back to the States and jump in REI, how would you best take advantage of this time?

ps: I know that's a lot and it would be overwhelming to respond to every point I mentioned — please feel free to just pick the question that sticks out most to you and go with that one. I will be extremely thankful for any input, big and small! 

Thanks in advance for your guys’ responses!! Really looking forward to reading them and interacting with you all.

All the best,

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
6y

Hunter, we did that whole immigration visa dance (my wife is from Russia and we lived there for years and years), so huge respect for doing this the right way.  However we can help, let us know.

if you are still down there, figure out what you CAN do there, now, while you are waiting.  

1.  Find something you can do there.  Grow where you are planted.  Enjoy Brazil.  Embrace even the parts that suck.  This part of your life you won't get to do again, likely, so make it count, brother!  Learn the language, help your father in law with the project, whatever makes you fired up to get out of bed in the morning.

2.  You are a web design guy, so I don't have to tell you about that.  Start getting your SEO dialed in. 

3.  Read and read and read.  In between podcasts.

4.  Network as best you can - I can't count the people I have met in person, whom I originally made contact with right here on BP while they were still overseas.  I still go to meet ups but I find the quality of people I meet on these forums is way above the folks I meet at many of these meet ups (with a few exceptions). 

This might come down to that last part -- find somebody that is doing this apartment syndications thing and figure out how YOU can somehow help them, remotely.  

Park the cash somewhere - where you won't lose it (not the market) and where you can get to it when you need it.  

Lastly, be flexible as hell.  Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Katy, TX · Member since 2014 · 397 posts · 215 votes
    6y

    Glad to see someone who has really through something and soliciting feedback/mentorship.  That's wise and I never particularly bothered with that until midway through my real estate investing career, which was a mistake because I ended up making mistakes early on that I would've never ever made with mentorship.  

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    6y

    Hunter, we did that whole immigration visa dance (my wife is from Russia and we lived there for years and years), so huge respect for doing this the right way.  However we can help, let us know.

    if you are still down there, figure out what you CAN do there, now, while you are waiting.  

    1.  Find something you can do there.  Grow where you are planted.  Enjoy Brazil.  Embrace even the parts that suck.  This part of your life you won't get to do again, likely, so make it count, brother!  Learn the language, help your father in law with the project, whatever makes you fired up to get out of bed in the morning.

    2.  You are a web design guy, so I don't have to tell you about that.  Start getting your SEO dialed in. 

    3.  Read and read and read.  In between podcasts.

    4.  Network as best you can - I can't count the people I have met in person, whom I originally made contact with right here on BP while they were still overseas.  I still go to meet ups but I find the quality of people I meet on these forums is way above the folks I meet at many of these meet ups (with a few exceptions). 

    This might come down to that last part -- find somebody that is doing this apartment syndications thing and figure out how YOU can somehow help them, remotely.  

    Park the cash somewhere - where you won't lose it (not the market) and where you can get to it when you need it.  

    Lastly, be flexible as hell.  Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. 

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Hey Hunter good to see you still around. I think your plans are still too broad at this point (which is fine) but single house flipping vs multi-family syndication are very different areas. If you prefer the MF route, I'd try to find a job with a property manager, one that takes equity in their properties. You could invest alongside as an employee and then have value add as a GP for later deals.

  • Verde Valley Arizona USA · Member since 2018 · 115 posts · 98 votes
    6y

    Sounds like you've got the prefect opportunity to jump in with your father-in-law.  That OJT will jump start you.  You're in the right place mentally, but you need to mind the market.  Houston is a big place and you will find all sorts of opportunities/traps.  Recent flooding has devastated whole communities.  Buyer beware.

  • Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    Wow. What an amazing story. Sometimes life just sh**s on you and it seems like you've given it right back. 

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Cheering for you- 

  • Investor · Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 171 posts · 277 votes
    6y

    Like other's have mentioned, I think you have to decide for yourself which path you want to take:

    Single Family Wholesaling/Flipping or Multifamily Syndication.

    Here's what I recommend for each path based on your $120k.

    Wholesaling/Flipping:

    1) Find a mentor (plenty to choose from in Houston)

    2) Setup all your systems (cold call dialer, CRM, data mining, etc etc)

    3) Learn all the zip codes. Houston MSA is massive. Yea, you're from Houston, but growing up there doesn't tell you the nuances of the whole MSA like school district, rent rates, where did it flood in Memorial Day Floods of 2016 and Harvey of 2017, etc.

    4) Walk a bunch of properties and learn to know what to look for. Foundation problems are very common in Houston.  Know the signs and costs.  Pier and Beam foundations are cheaper to fix than concrete slab, etc.  Learn your rehab prices.

    5) Go to networking events and build up buyers list

    NOTE: Getting your RE License is optional and I probably wouldn't recommend it because:

    - You won't be buying any deals on MLS or helping your mentor buy any deals there so your point on saving on commission is moot. Everyone gets off market deals from their marketing, everything that hits the MLS in Houston is not a deal or is swooped in a day. All the big players that I know wholesaling/flipping in Houston (making 7 figures a year) all have massive marketing systems and don't buy a single property on market.

    - Your mentor will already have MLS access and probably multiple acquaintances to have multiple sources of access to MLS. Just keeping it real.

    - You can save 3% listing your flips, but there are also plenty of excellent flat fee listing services that charge $100-$300 to list it on the MLS so you really could save your time and money just using them and still pay the buyers realtor 3%.

    6) Scale. Massively. All I see in Houston are either people that always want to do it and do 2-3 deals a year, and the people that treat it as a business and scale and do $500k-$1M a year in profit. Dump that $120k all in marketing and hiring a VA to cold call full time. You dont need it for your own flips, thats what private lenders are for.

    7) Be Realistic.   It's great to be motivated to take over Houston but there are plenty of big dogs that have been around for awhile.  You won't be overthrowing them. But Houston is so big, there's room for everyone to eat.  I know plenty of investors making $100k or more just doing this. 



    Multifamily:

    1) Spend the $5-10k on a program. Jake & Gino or Joe Fairless or Michael Blank or Vinney Chopra's or Brad Sumroks Foundations.  BP tells you not to pay gurus thousands, but that doesnt apply to multifamily.  Multi-family is an unfair game, its all about connections and relationships.  In every MSA, there's really only ~5 brokers that control 90% of the deal flow and unless you can associate your name with a big player, you aren't buying anything unless you overpay.  Like if you don't know (as in have multiple face to face interactions and have strong multifamily experience) with Jim Hurd, Tom Wilkinson, Russel Jones, Jeffrey Fript, or Ed Cummins, you aren't buying squat in Houston MSA. They own all the multifamily deals here. That's a fact. That's one of the major benefits paying $10k+ to join a mentorship group.  Brokers will take you more serious and send you off market deals. You can also leverage other students in the group as partners by leaning on their experience as well as raise funds for your syndication with them.

    This is what will happen when you go on your own without leveraging other people's credibility and experience:

    You: "Hey, my name is Hunter and I'm looking for value add properites"

    Most Likely: Broker doesn't even respond

    Possibly: Broker: "Ok great! Send me a proof of funds and I can show you some of my available deals"

    You stay persistent and stay in contact with them.  They get their deals and shop them to all their VIP buyers or previous buyers who they know can close.  If the deal makes it past all of them, it's probably not a good deal, then they'll hit you up and be like "OK, you keep asking for a deal, here's one. Now close it or stop wasting my time." You underwrite it and it needs to be 20% lower than asking.  You tell them that. You get blacklisted and they tell all the other brokers you're a tirekicker and you never see a deal again. Time to move to another market.

    ^ That might sound dramatic, but its very real.

    Also, having all the education set-up in a curriculum and mentorship and connections with other syndicators will short cut your curve by probably 10 years.

    2) Invest passively as a LP in 2 deals ($50k per deal). Learn how the syndicators do what they do.  Analzye how they communicate, how they execute their business plans.  Take in what you like and don't like so you can tweak it when you syndicate.

    3) Network, Network, Network until you build strong relationships with some syndicators (This takes time).  The goal is to be able to KP on a deal.  Unless you have a ultra high net worth or ultra high liquidity, you will need an inside relationship with the sponsors to let you sign as a KP since they are limited to 2-3 KPs.  

    4) Once you have KP experience under your belt, your next step is to be a GP on your own syndication.


    So its up to you to decide which is the path you want to do.  

    Best of luck,

    Adriel

    • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      6y

      @Adriel Hsu's summary of the multifamily process is bone-chillingly accurate. In my area, we have folks doing smaller multifamily deals truly off market, because they've built great Virtual Assistant cold calling systems. Larger multi is all controlled by a handful of brokers in most markets.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.