Seeking advice: vacation rental in Souther Vermont

Seeking advice: vacation rental in Souther Vermont

Investor · Jamaica Plain, MA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes

Preamble:

Howdy! I currently own a rental property in Boston which I house hacked and am actively trying to acquire another to do the same. However, the market in my area is very hot, and I haven't been able to find/win anything that works, so I'm looking to expand my strategy which brings me to this question.

My family owned a cabin in Newfane for many years but had to sell it a last year. I love the area and miss having a place to stay when I visit, but I don't want to make a poor investment based on nostalgia and wishful thinking. I am investigating whether I could make a viable business out of a vacation rental in that area, perhaps Dummerston, Newfane, Marlboro, etc. I would use it maybe 14 days per year, and it would be available for rent the rest of the time (ski lodging in the winter, woodsy get-away in the summer, leaf peeping in the fall!).

I would need to hire a local management company (or, at least, a local on retainer to be available to deal with issues). I would also need a local cleaner between rentals (possibly the same person). In a emergency, I could be up there in 2 ½ hours.

Taking into account comps from other rentals on VRBO & AirBnB, services fees, VT room tax, cleaning and management costs, I think my break-even would be in the 60-80 nights/year range. I am looking in the $175K-$250K range.

Questions:

  • I've listened to Podcast 229 with Zeona McIntyre and read the articles about short-stay on this site. What other resources might I have missed? Any good books?
  • Has anyone done this before and what am I not considering?
  • Is remote management too much of a headache? Will the costs eat me alive?
  • Is there enough demand in this area to think that 60-80 nights is reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide!

1Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 5 votes
7y

Just to Chime in here, I'm a remote property investor (short term rentals mostly) and now manage 2 Killington condos just across the street from the lifts. Condo's are appreciating quickly here, low inventory on the market, high demand for the investments upcoming on the resort mountain. Bought a top floor studio for 50K with $340/mo HOA and it brings in about 30K/yr in revenue. Really enjoy remote management, my hometown (Philly) has gotten expensive for short term rentals IMO. Happy to help guide if you ever need any advice.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi Jack,

    Very interested to hear if you followed through with this opportunity as I'm in the mix for a similar opportunity. If you did, how's it going? If not, can you share what you learned?

    Thanks!
    Josh

  • Investor · Jamaica Plain, MA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hi Josh! Not long after posting that, we found a multi in Boston that was a more "responsible" investment, haha. Still interested in the concept, but it will be a couple more years until we are ready for that. We did head up to the Brattleboro area and looked at a few places that had potential, but the biggest question I'm left with is the practicality of managing from afar. Good luck!

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the quick response Jack! I have a few friends who manage Airbnb's from several states away, and they make it work. Not without the expected stress. A Boston multi would be amazing, but I'm not there from a capital stand point to be comfortable with the investment. A cabin 20 mins from Killington with summer appeal (not far from White River Junction) seems like the perfect entry point for me and quick recovery of upfront costs after a few successful winters and break-even summers. I have a few years before my life gets a little more serious, so it's a good time for all the hustle that comes with short term vacation rental. I'll post here again if I make something happen... Thanks again!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Just to Chime in here, I'm a remote property investor (short term rentals mostly) and now manage 2 Killington condos just across the street from the lifts. Condo's are appreciating quickly here, low inventory on the market, high demand for the investments upcoming on the resort mountain. Bought a top floor studio for 50K with $340/mo HOA and it brings in about 30K/yr in revenue. Really enjoy remote management, my hometown (Philly) has gotten expensive for short term rentals IMO. Happy to help guide if you ever need any advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.