Skip to content
Washington Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
James Krusmark
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
A house hack that is virtually impossible to insure?!?!

James Krusmark
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Posted Nov 7 2019, 21:20

So, Im house hacking.  In August I bought a 6 bedroom house in Tacoma.  My intentions from the get-go were to rent 5 rooms and live in one until my 1 year seasoning period is over, then rent my room and move into the next house hack.  Im finding out that my current insurance is not adequate for this.  In the last 2 days, I have called no less than 20 insurance companies, agent, brokers, etc.  They are all telling me the same thing 'We won't touch it!'.  Im hearing various reasons for not being able to insure it, but the common theme is the amount of tenants (up to 6 at any given time), and the fact that the kitchen and bathrooms are shared.  The fact that I am living here as my primary residence is only complicating things.

It seems like regular homeowners insurance is, for the most part, OK with up to two boarders at a time.  

I don't qualify for a regular landlord policy because I live here and the number of potential unrelated tenants. 

I don't qualify for a commercial policy because each "unit" doesn't have its own kitchen and bathroom.  

I don't qualify for a short term rental policy because my leases are at least 30 days, and for the number of potential unrelated tenants.

I know that I am not the only one using this house hacking strategy, and that somewhere out there in the big blue yonder, there is an agent that can help me.

Since I know it's going to come up... My leases are month to month because the city has different requirements for short term rentals vs long term rentals.  I'm currently looking into the city requirements for short term rentals, but I would like to stick with longer term tenants to minimize turnover.

The one work around that I got from a reputable agent with one of the bigger companies, was to get a regular homeowners policy with higher limits and require renters to get a renters liability policy( which I already do) of at least $500k with me listed as additional insured AND the renter polices need to be with him.  It makes sense and the agent is willing to put it in writing.  I just feel like a policy that is specific to my situation would help me sleep at night.

Loading replies...