First Flip - 225K profit, more luck than skill on my end.

First Flip - 225K profit, more luck than skill on my end.

Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes

Hi All,

My partner and I completed my first fix and flip in Berkeley CA. He is a contractor/investor who has done a few flips and I'm just a guy who is interested in real estate. I studied the market for more than a year and all my offers were rejected before finally getting getting this fixer. As you can guess, the Bay Area is crazy expensive and our flip did not come cheap. We transformed a two bedroom one bathroom house into a three bedroom two bathroom house with an additional bathroom in the garage and staged the garage as living space. We moved the kitchen to the dining room, opened up the wall and created a master suite from where the old kitchen stood. We did not expand the envelope of the building and only worked with what was originally there.

Since my partner was also my contractor, I paid him half the renovation cost and he did the work. I think I overpaid a bit on construction from what I've seen other people pay for a gut rehab (damn Bay Area pricing). The flip took long, too long as this was my first time submitting permits. The permitting process took us four months and then my partner had to finish his other flip before starting on ours. The total time took about a year from purchase. If I had to change a few things, I would get a few more bids to make sure pricing is okay and make sure we are on schedule. Also, I made him do a few last minute changes because we didn't talk through all the details. I still don't feel I know construction at all aside from a few simple things. The first one is luck, if the second one goes well, I'll call it skill.

$750,000 - Purchase Price

$200,000 - Total Cost (Renovation Costs)

$100,000 - Commission/Taxes/Fees/Escrow/Holding Costs

$1,275,000 - Sale Price

$225,000 - Profit

2Reply
45 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · El Cerrito, CA · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Amazing job. Congrats!

  • Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 71 votes
    7y

    @Hayden H. Excellent job, congratulations! I love the simple style. May I ask which flooring is that? Its beautiful and looking to put something similar in a new construction. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed Thank you! It is called Great Oregon Water Oak RE022301 

    https://www.republicfloor.com/great-oregon-oak-reor2301

  • Realtor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 35 votes
    7y

    Wow, this is great!! Would've fooled me that this was your first, congrats!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Did you pay all cash (and how)?  If not, you could include the money down and interest payments and come up with an even better profit number...

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Nice flip and nice choice of finishes.

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Very impressive and makes me want get into flipping too! What kind of financing did you use and with who?

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    House looks awesome! Nice work (and profit)!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Justin Pan:

    Very impressive and makes me want get into flipping too! What kind of financing did you use and with who?

     Thanks! My partner brought half the funds and he used a bank loan. I used my friend's and own funds. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.