Upgrading Underground Powerlines - Trenching PG&E Bay Area

Upgrading Underground Powerlines - Trenching PG&E Bay Area

Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 4 votes

Hi,

I've got underground powerlines and the PG&E vault box is across the street on my neighbors property.  PG&E said if I wanted to upgrade my existing 100A electrical panel to 200A, I'd have to trench from my electrical box to the vault box across the street and replace the lines in addition to the replacing the conduit to 3" wide conduits.

Based on my conversations with PG&E, it sounds like I need to pay for the entire cost but should PG&E be responsible for paying for the trenching on the public street?  I understand I'd have to pay for the trenching on my property (and I'm assuming my neighbors property) but I wasn't sure about the street.


Thanks for your input.
 

0Reply
309 views

Most Popular Reply

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 50 votes
5y

I would imagine since it's elective you would be responsible for paying for the entirety of the work, but I'm not certain. Will you share what PG&E is quoting you for the cost of the work? I have something similar I need to get done soon.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Hi

    New to.the thread.

    I have The same thing going on with direct burial with house built-in the 70s and they're telling me I have to pay for trenching conduit at cable. Does anybody know who couldn't do it? Or at PG&E.

    Someone in the thread had PG&E do it. And they didn't upgrade their panel and had a separate 200A service put in.


    Thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.