Reliable Wholesalers

Reliable Wholesalers

Scott AlfanoBusiness Member
Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 20 votes

How has your experience with wholesalers in the Central Florida area been? What criteria do you use when deciding whether a wholesaler has a good ear to the ground? How much of their ARV and comps do you take to heart versus running the numbers yourself?

Of course I know you should always run your own numbers, but when a wholesaler sends you an email with something like a "63% ARV" do you get excited or skeptical?

How many wholesalers do you generally communicate with? Are there any that you particularly recommend?

Signed and Funded - Scott Alfano
1Reply
171 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 780 votes
10y

John, then you have not dealt with me! I have been a full time investor for 17 years and all the comps I provide my clients ARE based on real solds. Remember ARV calculations are based on a number of factors, not just solds. Unless you have access to the MLS to see the real differences between the sold houses (descriptions of condition and pictures) then it makes it difficult to come up with a real ARV. I AM a licensed realtor in Florida. Yes I provide many of my properties to my clients that I don't have an equitable interest in because I am an agent for the sellers. Providing a contractors written estimate of repairs needed is NOT NECESSARY when we have been doing this for so long we can give AN ESTIMATE of rehab costs. Yes look at all my threads and I am doing nothing but helping as many people as I can.

And YES I am selling properties with the best info that I can. Each property is different, so I am selling properties from 26% to 82% ARV. Some need alot of work and others don't with tenants already in place. I am marketing 57 properties all over central Florida with properties for all types of buyer interests, from Single Family Houses, Duplexes, Triplexes, Quads and small multifamily. I work with local private lenders that can provide up to 90% financing for purchase and rehab costs as long as the total is no more than 70% ARV. And I have another team that can rehab the properties, sell them or manage them with tenants.

I am also representing a company that owns 25 small (less than 50 units) multifamily properties in Chicago. They even provide owner financing and a complete turnkey operation. 

PLEASE don't judge me based on your bad experiences with other 'wholesalers'. 

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 140 votes
    9y

    I think you ALWAYS have to run YOUR OWN numbers, including rehab numbers.  I like to use contractors that I know and trust.  I get emails from wholesalers and Realtors, both.  The writeups are somewhat overhyped a lot of the time and the numbers are a little exaggerated.  But, if I am interested, I do my own checking.  I no longer take their word as factual.  But, they do provide a service and I am glad they do.

    Sometimes I see the same property on MLS for the same price that a wholesaler gave me. I wonder why.

    That said, I sometimes run across a property that I don't want and refer it to others for a nominal fee.  Does that make me a wholesaler?  I just tell them as it is.  I am honest and will never deal with anyone that has a flawed reputation.  I don't want any part of that.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 311 posts · 150 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @James Barnhart:

    I think you ALWAYS have to run YOUR OWN numbers, including rehab numbers.  I like to use contractors that I know and trust.  I get emails from wholesalers and Realtors, both.  The writeups are somewhat overhyped a lot of the time and the numbers are a little exaggerated.  But, if I am interested, I do my own checking.  I no longer take their word as factual.  But, they do provide a service and I am glad they do.

    Sometimes I see the same property on MLS for the same price that a wholesaler gave me. I wonder why.

    That said, I sometimes run across a property that I don't want and refer it to others for a nominal fee.  Does that make me a wholesaler?  I just tell them as it is.  I am honest and will never deal with anyone that has a flawed reputation.  I don't want any part of that.

    You pretty much hit the nail on the head, anyone who says they worked with a 'bad wholesaler' because they said the ARV was $500K and it was realistically $200K, then you have no one else to blame but yourself for not doing your own research.

    In this market, if it is a good deal, regardless if it at the MLS Price it does not matter, sometimes when it comes to the Hubzu & other auction sites, a property will be marketed above the MLS price because it got bid up so high, all depends on how the numbers work out.

    If you put a property under contract, and then sell it to someone else for a nominal fee, yes that essentially makes you a wholesaler, welcome to the club! 

  • Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 52 votes
    9y
    getting in this one late. I do rehabs, wholesaling, and hard money across the state. I watched a partner in Tampa just make $60,000 off a deal I wholesaled and made $15,000. It wasn't my market and I don't have crews in Tampa. it was also massive 3 month rehab so he deserves every dollar. If you want to avoid most of the garbage wholesalers just don't read anything they send but the property address and pictures. Do your own comps, come up with your workable price and offer it to them. Even if it's $10,000 below what they are asking. We had a property in Tampa that we wholesaled through the MLS. technically we bought it and out it up to resell instead of wholesale, but one big rehabber in Sarasota said he wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll at our ask price. 48hrs later a small one house at a time investor paid full ask $30k over the other rehabber that looked at it. it was a $175k as is property. Even wholesale properties have competition. You either need to be quick, your need to be able offer competitively. Otherwise you need to learn how to find your own deals.
  • Investor · Bushnell, FL · Member since 2016 · 456 posts · 224 votes
    9y

    Well said @David Wolf .. wouldn't mind getting on your buyers list for central Fl. Everywhere from Tampa to Ocala, and Orlando.. of course the city's in between also ..  

    God Speed, 

    Michael Short 

  • Chesterfield, SC · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 73 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Smith:

    I just think people mistake the difference between bird dogs (someone who finds a deal and dose a guesstimation of cost) and a wholesaler (some one who puts their name on the line by engaging in a sales contract after doing a complete estimation. 

    Also i think some investors expect way to much out of both of the above mentioned they are a free service and it seems like investors want people to contact them with a 100% deal with no risk and all the leg work. walking a contractor through a house and getting an actual bid? How many times do you think you can do that before you are "the boy who cried wolf" to all your local contracting companies. you as an investor YOU need to do your do diligence after someone brings you the outline of a good deal even if they have a real estate licence or a contract anything less and you clearly are not a seasoned investor of anything. 

    I know a lot of investors say 80-90% of deals from wholesalers are worthless but guess what 80-90% of leads that wholesaler went through were worthless its all part of the funnel they talk about extensively here on BP. A wholesaler or a bird dog dose the nasty telemarketing, foot stomping, street sign hanging work that most don't want to do and investors don't have time for. It cost an investor nothing to turn down deals all day so in the spirit of net working maybe some should put in perspective that you shouldn't complain about a wholesaler or a bird dog unless YOU want to go back to beating the pavement just be happy you're at the end of the funnel If I send you a thousand crap deals and you make 30,000 off one and you doing work didn't even start till you knew you would make money then be happy I'm a good wholesaler for you 

     Wholesalers get a bad name just like lawyers, car salesman, and mechanics. The reality is though you find a good one you are golden. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    I am a new investor. I am starting out wholesaling to raise some capital for my flips.i have not had my first deal yet. However I plan to let the home owner know that I am an investor who will purchase their property to God and flip, lease or sale for a profit to an investor who will complete the rehab. At the end of he day REI is a business. As investors we're looking to make a profit. If you tell people upfront what's may or may not happen I think that's the best practice. The seller will still get their number. I'm looking for a WIN WIN WIN for all involved.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 311 posts · 150 votes
    9y

    Hopefully that works out well for you @Tamatha Mallard

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.