Cost to separate utilities, install boiler/hot water tank

Cost to separate utilities, install boiler/hot water tank

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 20 votes

I'm doing some analysis on a 2 flat which currently has one gas and electric line coming into the building and a single boiler and hot water tank. Can someone ballpark (a) the cost to separate the lines so each unit can get their own bill, and (b) the cost to install a boiler and hot water tank (or tankless) for a unit roughly 1500-2000 sq ft?

Thanks!

0Reply
24 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Keith Ellis this is a more complicated question than you probably realize. When you go to separate the electric the city may make you bring the whole system up to code. To just add a meter, panel and do some basic re-wiring I wouldn't be surprised if you are in it for a few thousand, but if you have to upgrade service, add circuits, etc it could be a lot worse. 

    I have never added a gas meter, so I am unsure on that one. I would recommend that you cancel the boiler system if you are going to separate the heat though as the forced air furnaces will be less hassle long term than the boilers. Alternatively, you could also do electric base board heaters which require very little maintenance, but are not as efficient. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.