Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Minneapolis Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Runn
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
MPLS 2040 comprehensive plan and how landlords can add more units

Bruce Runn
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted May 14 2018, 12:54

I am participating in the MPLS 2040 comprehensive plan by attending meetings and provided feedback that can be a big win for both landlord owners and renters in Minneapolis. I am an advocate of changing our current ADU ordinance as part of the MPLS 2040 comprehensive plan guideline to allow up to 4 plexes throughout the city. The change would be to allow non owner occupants the ability to add an ADU to their current 1-4 unit properties where currently only owner occupants can add an ADU.  Portland has been a trailblazer in opening their city to landlord/owners adding an ADU and has increased the building of ADU's from 24 units in 2009 to 615 in 2016.  Minneapolis could do the same thing.

In my case, I own 12- 2 and 3 unit buildings and would add a 1,000-1,300 sq ft ADU to everyone current property. It's new construction without the land costs and there really isn't any more land available. I'm a general contractor so adding a new "carriage house/ADU" of 2-3 bedrooms would add new housing in high demand areas where renters want to live. The financial equation works out better than a 1% rule as it comes in at a 1.1-1.2 % rent to cost of building and the apartment is brand new so you wouldn't expect any initial CAPEX. It is literally impossible to find a 1% deal in a good neighborhood in Minneapolis.

One action point is for every landlord/owner/investor to log onto the city's MPLS2040 plan and leave feedback that you want to see the ADU ordinance changed to include owner/landlords in adding ADU's as part of the comprehensive plan.  See link below:

https://minneapolis2040.com/how-to-comment/

Loading replies...