Votes
Ben Kirchner
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
Sweet spot for Durham rental market.

Ben Kirchner
  • Durham, NC
Posted Aug 5 2017, 15:33

Investors in Durham - Have you found a particular sweet spot in Durham in terms of your price range you'll buy a property to for rent?  $120k? $200k?  Just going of rentometer, it's rare to find something with estimated rent $2000+, therefore it would be difficult to find a 1% rent of a higher priced property.  Obviously there's several strategies, depending on who you're targeting - lower income, grad students, post docs, etc...

I'm currently looking for a new live in residence, which I will later look to rent out.  I've been house hacking currently, and would want to continue that.  Therefore, I had been eyeing a larger property in Durham that could accommodate 2 couples.  For that, it's looking like the prices I'm seeing is nearing the $200k price.  Which for the house hacking situation, would work out well.  My fear is it wouldn't cashflow well when we move out, a year down the road.

On a side note with the house hacking, ideally, I find a house where at least 2 of the bedrooms have attached bathrooms.  This seems to be hard to come by in Durham, particularly with SFHs.  If anyone has any insight on areas that may accommodate, I would appreciate a nudge in that direction.

Thank you

Ben

Loading replies...