Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a piece of property in the Columbus area this week.
I live in NJ so I wanted to get insight into the area and hear from local people on the market and see what you think of my deal. The property is in the Greater Hilltop community. If anyone would like to discuss and help out I'll share more information on a direct message.
Thanks in advance!
Chris
Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a piece of property in the Columbus area this week.
I live in NJ so I wanted to get insight into the area and hear from local people on the market and see what you think of my deal. The property is in the Greater Hilltop community. If anyone would like to discuss and help out I'll share more information on a direct message.
Thanks in advance!
Chris
Hi Chris, I'd be happy to help identify if it's a great deal locally. We just worked with another out of state investor who was in contract on a property in Columbus and didn't know the areas. In 5 minutes of research we identified that he would have set the record sale price for a multiunit for that area in the last 3 years. If you are using cash I'd be even more carful not to just purchase something right away but to take a month or two to get to know the area better. I sent you a PM and would be happy to provide some insight.
id look at johns comments about the rents and tenants. if you want to manage those type and that income class then go for it but there are firms with a bout 1000000x money than you and I and none have a strategy to buy in neighborhoods like that.
Chris's post was from 7 years ago, I was hoping hilltop wasn't still sketchy since there are some really good deals there. but thats usually how it goes!
I just got called from WODA companies to bid a $500,000 paint job in the center of hilltop. They are developing two ground up apartment complexes as well as renovating a school that was slated to be demolished. It's in the heard of Hilltop. There is development and new construction from the City of Columbus and 20 different groups all over the city. I wouldn't listen to little time agents who have sold 10 deals a year for 5 years. They don't know anything. I'd look at real economic development and what drives migration and property values in an area an decide from there. Here's an article that talks about it and this is just 100 units that are in the 40,000+ apartment units development pipeline of Columbus over the next 3-4 years. Columbus delivers about 6000 apartments or 7000 a year for the entire MSA and we are well under built. Your one house is going to be ok. I was out doing a site visit today and the slabs are poured on this 3 acre site and it'll be very well run. WODA has a very good reputation. Before it was an abandoned school but all of the partnerships and teams together pushed it through. That's what makes Columbus a great place to invest and Hilltop. You will continue to see these types of initiatives. This development will be worth north of $20 million when it's done. The city focuses on large impact projects like this. At the same time they red tag abandoned homes that aren't safe and make the owners tear them down in hilltop. I tore down a house a month ago and it's land ready to be built on. That kind of economic development and impact is what makes Columbus great.
https://www.wodagroup.com/starling-yard-in-the-franklinton-n...
Chris's post was from 7 years ago, I was hoping hilltop wasn't still sketchy since there are some really good deals there. but thats usually how it goes
I just got called from WODA companies to bid a $500,000 paint job in the center of hilltop. They are developing two ground up apartment complexes as well as renovating a school that was slated to be demolished. It's in the heard of Hilltop. There is development and new construction from the City of Columbus and 20 different groups all over the city. I wouldn't listen to little time agents who have sold 10 deals a year for 5 years. They don't know anything. I'd look at real economic development and what drives migration and property values in an area an decide from there. Here's an article that talks about it and this is just 100 units that are in the 40,000+ apartment units development pipeline of Columbus over the next 3-4 years. Columbus delivers about 6000 apartments or 7000 a year for the entire MSA and we are well under built. Your one house is going to be ok. I was out doing a site visit today and the slabs are poured on this 3 acre site and it'll be very well run. WODA has a very good reputation. Before it was an abandoned school but all of the partnerships and teams together pushed it through. That's what makes Columbus a great place to invest and Hilltop. You will continue to see these types of initiatives. This development will be worth north of $20 million when it's done. The city focuses on large impact projects like this. At the same time they red tag abandoned homes that aren't safe and make the owners tear them down in hilltop. I tore down a house a month ago and it's land ready to be built on. That kind of economic development and impact is what makes Columbus great.
https://www.wodagroup.com/starling-yard-in-the-franklinton-n...
Very cool thanks for sharing, you did mention hilltop but the article says Franklinton, was that 2 different projects you're referring to? From my understanding Franklinton and hilltop are pretty different neighborhood grades.
Chris's post was from 7 years ago, I was hoping hilltop wasn't still sketchy since there are some really good deals there. but thats usually how it goes
I just got called from WODA companies to bid a $500,000 paint job in the center of hilltop. They are developing two ground up apartment complexes as well as renovating a school that was slated to be demolished. It's in the heard of Hilltop. There is development and new construction from the City of Columbus and 20 different groups all over the city. I wouldn't listen to little time agents who have sold 10 deals a year for 5 years. They don't know anything. I'd look at real economic development and what drives migration and property values in an area an decide from there. Here's an article that talks about it and this is just 100 units that are in the 40,000+ apartment units development pipeline of Columbus over the next 3-4 years. Columbus delivers about 6000 apartments or 7000 a year for the entire MSA and we are well under built. Your one house is going to be ok. I was out doing a site visit today and the slabs are poured on this 3 acre site and it'll be very well run. WODA has a very good reputation. Before it was an abandoned school but all of the partnerships and teams together pushed it through. That's what makes Columbus a great place to invest and Hilltop. You will continue to see these types of initiatives. This development will be worth north of $20 million when it's done. The city focuses on large impact projects like this. At the same time they red tag abandoned homes that aren't safe and make the owners tear them down in hilltop. I tore down a house a month ago and it's land ready to be built on. That kind of economic development and impact is what makes Columbus great.
https://www.wodagroup.com/starling-yard-in-the-franklinton-n...
Very cool thanks for sharing, you did mention hilltop but the article says Franklinton, was that 2 different projects you're referring to? From my understanding Franklinton and hilltop are pretty different neighborhood grades.
Yes good catch, I was just on that one yesterday but the develop all over downtown for affordable housing. If you check out their website they have tons of articles on developments. I just glanced through and found a hilltop one, the ideas are all the same. I was a few streets off but this is literally blocks from hilltop. 70 separates them even as a local sometimes I miss the boundaries by a few blocks. this is from 2021 I just found one but they develop a least 1000 units a year.
https://www.wodagroup.com/wheatland-crossing-certified-leed-...