My Goals as a New RE Investor

My Goals as a New RE Investor

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 7 votes

To all:

My name is Craig and I just returned to Columbus after living in Washington DC and Latin America for several years. I am just beginning my REI journey and as a believer in setting goals / affirmations, I wanted to share them as my first post:

"I desire to invest in real estate to increase my monthly cash flow so that I can achieve financial independence, seize control of my life, and build wealth to pass along to my future family" 

With this in mind, I plan to purchase a 4-unit property and house hack (live in one unit and rent out the others) by the end of 2019 / early 2020. I would also prefer to invest in B/C rated neighborhoods and am still in the process of identifying these exact places.

So far, I have found the Columbus RE investing community to be simply amazing and I am thankful to have been referred to this website - there is so much great material here.

My question is, how did everyone else define their goals / start their investment journey?

5Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 587 posts · 435 votes
7y

@Craig M Chavis Jr welcome back to the buckeye state!  If you are going to househack in Columbus you might want to consider the Homepossible mortgage which requires as little as 5% Down on 4 unit properties.  I posted some information on househacking with Homepossible in Cleveland. Same principles apply in Columbus. Might be worth a read. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/731/topics/678742-house-hacking-2-4-units-in-cleveland-using-homepossible-mortgage

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 203 posts · 170 votes
    7y

    Pleasure meeting Craig on BP!

  • Lender · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 587 posts · 435 votes
    7y

    @Craig M Chavis Jr welcome back to the buckeye state!  If you are going to househack in Columbus you might want to consider the Homepossible mortgage which requires as little as 5% Down on 4 unit properties.  I posted some information on househacking with Homepossible in Cleveland. Same principles apply in Columbus. Might be worth a read. 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/731/topics/678742-house-hacking-2-4-units-in-cleveland-using-homepossible-mortgage

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Eric Veronica I was unaware of the Homepossible mortgage - thanks for sharing!

    How different is this loan from the traditional FHA loan? I've seen as little as only 3.5% for this loan.

  • Lender · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 587 posts · 435 votes
    7y

    @Craig M Chavis Jr There are quite a few advantages when comparing homepossible to FHA.

    - Conventional offers are generally considered stronger than FHA

    - Conventional appraisals are generally less nitpicky than FHA

    - FHA requires an up front PMI/MIP equaling 1.75% of the loan amount whereas Conventional does not require an up front PMI

    - FHA requires a monthly PMI that in most cases will never fall off of the loan whereas conventional monthly PMI will fall off once you have the necessary equity

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Eric Veronica thanks for the info! I will PM you to learn more.

  • Christi HawkinsPro Member
    Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 237 posts · 142 votes
    7y

    @Craig M Chavis Jr  Welcome Home Craig!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    7y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.