Moving to Columbus to jump in REI full time!

Moving to Columbus to jump in REI full time!

Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 102 votes

I'm so excited! This past year has been such a tremendous adventure working on my first property! I've learned so much - bought to flip, but then the pandemic was announced like a week after closing, so I changed up my whole plan and held, and gradually repaired the home inside and out, mostly DIY but hired out a few things also. Anyway I'm looking at around a 600% ROI so I think I did okay with managing budget and resources.

So I was going to hold it and turn it into a rental here in very unlandlord friendly California, and continue working my okay-paying job while verrrry gradually adding more super overpriced homes to my portfolio... In case I don't sound thrilled about California -FYI, I'm not.

Then I found Columbus and honestly it didn't take much convincing for me to realize that I could take my profits, and quit my job, and buy 2 homes in Columbus - one to live in and DIY fix up/house hack, and one to rehab/flip - and build a business out of that. 

But alas, the reason for my post; currently my biggest barrier in tackling the move...

Where do I live while I search for & close on my next home?

(Probably should have made that the title... but it won't let me now lol Hope you enjoyed the story)

I need somewhere to live temporarily while I work on my deal and perform and repairs needed to make the space habitable, hopefully no more than 2 months, but my first idea was renting an RV and just basically vacationing with my dogs during the process, it would be fun, but very cold and me + 3 large dogs might get cramped for that long. 

They're the same reason I might have a hard time getting some other type of short term rental, air-bnb or that sort of thing, is my dog situation... 

So a few weeks ago I took in the sweetest, kindest stray pup... and then she turned out to be pregnant... and what a joyful challenge I accepted; the responsibility of caring for this mom and her 7 puppies! So they are in my care until for another 8 weeks from today. I was planning on moving about right now anyway, and I'll wait if I have to for these pups' sake if I have to, because finding any kind of rental with a total of 9 dogs is,um.... that's a lot of dogs lol

Soooo my question is, I wonder if any of you kind-hearted, dog-loving, bigger pockets, investor folks have any short terms rentals available for me and my pups so, we can come out there sooner and get started on our investment journey, instead of waiting until the dead of winter to move after they've been adopted out. Of course there will be a bigger deposit just in case of any accidents :-) and they don't even leave their enclosure lol

Also open to other suggestions for temporary residence that will accomodate our humble dog family. Thanks!

3Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 20 votes
    4y

    Unfortunately, I don't have any rentals available, but when you get here if you want to grab coffee & chat, I'm in!

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I manage 100+ STRs here but none that could accommodate that many puppers. Have you talked to a shelter about options they may have for adopting them or were you planning on keeping all the puppies? Happy to connect in Columbus if you need any help!

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 102 votes
    4y

    @Marc Rice yes, I've been working with a rescue where I am and have found one to work with up in Columbus, they're going to help them find homes once their old enough @12 weeks but I'll be fostering them until then. I'll only be keeping 3 total. My old dog, mom, and 1 pup, which is still a lot for a rental lol

  • Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 102 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jason DeVelvis:

    Unfortunately, I don't have any rentals available, but when you get here if you want to grab coffee & chat, I'm in!

     I'd like that! Will be in touch!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.