We did it - we bought our first flip! - Now, we need help!!

We did it - we bought our first flip! - Now, we need help!!

Rental Property Investor · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 4 votes

We just bought our first flip! We would like to obviously make some changes to the inside of the house and bring it up to date and we would like to know where people typically are buying material such as countertops, cabinets, and flooring within the Ohio area because I do not think Lowes or Home Depot are going to be the best solution.

Thanks!!

Janine Kelbach

1Reply
22 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Home Depot and Lowe’s Pro accounts aren’t bad.  

    They can do free install when you buy flooring or countertops etc.

    Get quotes from companies near you. Search Google maps.

  • Ryan IngramBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 246 posts · 225 votes
    7y

    Congrats! That’s awesome!

    Just out of curiosity, why don’t you think Lowe’s or Home Depot aren’t the best options? 

    I’m not too knowledgeable in this area. I have three open rehab projects at the moment, however, I use contractors. I’m using two different contractors, one is using Lowe’s and the other Home Depot.

    The contractor that is doing two of the rehabs, he told me that he gets 30% off at Lowe’s if he orders all of his materials through an employee he has a good relationship with. Consequently, he ordered all the materials for both homes at once.

    The guy that is using Home Depot has spent a few hours having Lowe’s and Home Depot price match each other.

    Again, I don’t have a dog in this fight, and I don’t understand the accounts either of these places have for contractors. 

    I’ve just never heard of anyone using anything other than those two. I suppose I’ve used one person in the past that used Menards...but that is an Ohio specific place, I think?

    Anyway, I’d really love to hear about where you end up getting your materials!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 295 votes
    7y

    @Janine Kelbach Hello, nice to meet another local! Congrats on your first flip purchase!! I typically buy my materials from a commercial supplier because my husband works for a general contractor firm but when we are in a pinch, a new menards opened up and we love it there, we use our pro account at home depot too. Also, if youre willing to go further south, theres some discount places like lumber liquidators, and a couple other places in medina. Cant think of their names off the top of my head but shop around, I do feel like most of the cheaper suppliers that supply to individuals are further south from you though.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 295 votes
    7y

    @Janine Kelbach oh, also! ive shopped ola auctions where you can bid on materials like showers, sinks, vanities and pick them up on specified dates but again, pick up location is far from you, its in north royalton. also ive bought brand new stuff at like half price on Facebook marketplace like chandeliers, flooring, and vanities. ive even sold left over flooring boxes i had on there for half the price.

  • Real Estate Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2010 · 24 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    For kitchen cabinets and bath vanities look at MFS Supply in Solon.  High quality at a price point close to Home Depot.  Where is the property you purchased?

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Depending on what your looking to do as a contracting company in north east ohio we have used lowes and home depot for material Sherwin Williams for paint. We have pro accounts and get special pricing etc but also we have had some great finds on letgo and facebook groups etc for cabinets and if we find a good deal with get it even for furture use to help clients save money. We always make sure we get the best price on materials that we can get to an extent. It really just depends on what the client wants or needs and if we can obtain it cheaper we try to pass the savings on to the client.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.