Needed short term or rental without a lease in Pittsburgh

Needed short term or rental without a lease in Pittsburgh

Investor · Pittsburgh PA · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 76 votes

Are there any rentals in Pittsburgh not requiring a lease?  I am not sure how long it will take me to find a house but I would rather rent month to month than commit to a year lease.  What are the penalties? Can I just find someone to take over the lease?

0Reply
45 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    You'll find plenty of landlords willing to rent month-to-month here, but with a hefty security deposit. No, you cannot just find someone else to "take over the lease" in most cases. Landlords prefer to choose their tenants, not have their renters choose their tenants for them.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh PA · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    @Jim K. finding a replacement renter would of course be subject to the landlord screening.  Hefty security? How many x the rent? Would I get any of it back?

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    To be able to get a place with month-to-month, you'd have to go into small C-class rentals run by mom and pop landlords. They'll probably charge you a maximum security deposit equal to first month's rent and last month's rent. So you would have to come up with three months worth of rent to start. In Pennsylvania, security deposits are supposed to be held in escrow accounts. A very large percentage, perhaps the majority, of mom-and-pop operations here simply pocket the cash and never intend to return a cent of it.

    I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    AirBnB

  • Real Estate Professional · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    As Dan said I would look into Airbnb depending on how short short-term is. Also It doesn't hurt to just call on some of the ads and ask. If you pay enough money and pass background checks I am sure you can find someone who is sitting with a vacant property right now that they can't find a tenant for. You are probably not going to get away with not signing a lease though even if it is a short-term one. That would put the landlord in a bad position. 

  • Investor · Pittsburgh PA · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    I understand and I rather be upfront about it.  I was told by a management company that I have 2 options: paying 3 months extra or pay until they find someone else.  I am comfortable with either options.  Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Mars, PA · Member since 2014 · 92 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    Dominique – welcome to Pittsburgh! In what part of the area are you looking to stay short term while you shop for a new home? 

    Looking for it to be nearby a new workplace, etc.? 

  • Investor · Pittsburgh PA · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    @Danny Duran  We ended up doing a lease on a 2 br apartment.  That will give me plenty of time to figure out my next move.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.