Looking to network/find realtors/contractors/PM in Memphis!

Looking to network/find realtors/contractors/PM in Memphis!

Member since 2018 · 103 posts · 48 votes

Hi All!

I'm an OOS investor with a few properties in the midwest. I'm currently evaluating the Memphis market and would love to start hearing from some people who are in town. I'm looking to identify different areas that may be a fit to my plans in Memphis. Currently looking at either doing BRRRR's and flips.

through researching the market its become clear that Memphis is a block by block city. I'd love to hear some of you opinions of specific areas that you invest in/see a rise in.

I'll be coming out to town for the month of March to view and hopefully purchase a few properties and I'm looking to start finding some boots on the ground! Feel free to respond here or shoot me a dm to have a more private chat! Looking forward to learning the area!

5Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 377 posts · 258 votes
5y

Hey @Charles Mitchell,

I'm an out of state investor as well. I own a couple properties in Memphis. I created this list about a year ago so the quality of these areas have probably changed as Memphis is rapidly growing. Needless to say, it still will provide you a general idea of what areas to look at:

Good areas:

  • Raleigh 38128 (try to push as far east as you can)
  • Bartlett- expensive, but solid
  • Cordova - expensive, but strong. Still some unincorporated areas so those would be county only tax, very rare to find one
  • East Memphis 38117, generally solid, drops off a bit south of Quince. E.
  • East Memphis - 38111 -generally great, can get spotty when you go too west on the southern part of the zip code near the Orange Mound area. North of Southern Ave is $$ and University of Memphis. This is very street to street from 250k+ homes to shacks.
  • Midtown/ Cooper young -38014, similar to 38111. Very complex area. Huge developments and improvements in this area. Really need to know your stuff if you're going to buy here.
  • Whitehaven 38116, has its bad areas, but good investment areas. You'll find some rtv opportunities 1-1.5% here with less risk than Frayser. Working class neighborhoods
  • Parkway Village and Hickory Hill -38118, 38115 similar to Whitehaven
  • Westwood/west Whitehaven - 38109 - some good finds.
  • Germantown - $$$, very few deals in general as it is similar to Collierville, maybe some on western edges, but those are very hard to find.

Areas to avoid:

  • Frayser 38127
  • Orange Mound 38114
  • North Memphis - 38107
    South Memphis - 38126, 38106

I hope this helps.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 379 posts · 130 votes
    5y

    I am out of town at the moment, but will be back in March.  We should 100% get together.  I can show you around and give you the 411.  Maybe save you from one or two mistakes I made when I got to Memphis.

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 741 posts · 845 votes
    5y

    Hey @Charles Mitchell, we love Memphis! (I am obviously biased) Memphis is a great cash flow town and because of how hot the market is now fixing and flipping is becoming a more viable strategy here! Would love to connect! Also I have created a free zip code guide that will get you started on your analysis of the market if your interested!

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 162 posts · 113 votes
    5y

    Hey Charles, 

    I hope this finds you well. I am also an Out of state investor that invests in Memphis. Just like @Stephen Akindona has said... Memphis is a great cash flow city. We BRRRR & flip in Memphis.

    Let me know how I can help you and your business. Lets connect!

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Stephen Akindona

    Hello! I would love to be able to connect with you to gain some insight into the Memphis market!

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Jordan Murrell

    I am an OOS investor as well looking to take the big leap into the Memphis market. I would love to connect with you and see your thoughts on the market and pick your brain about the area!

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 377 posts · 258 votes
    5y

    Hey @Charles Mitchell,

    I'm an out of state investor as well. I own a couple properties in Memphis. I created this list about a year ago so the quality of these areas have probably changed as Memphis is rapidly growing. Needless to say, it still will provide you a general idea of what areas to look at:

    Good areas:

    • Raleigh 38128 (try to push as far east as you can)
    • Bartlett- expensive, but solid
    • Cordova - expensive, but strong. Still some unincorporated areas so those would be county only tax, very rare to find one
    • East Memphis 38117, generally solid, drops off a bit south of Quince. E.
    • East Memphis - 38111 -generally great, can get spotty when you go too west on the southern part of the zip code near the Orange Mound area. North of Southern Ave is $$ and University of Memphis. This is very street to street from 250k+ homes to shacks.
    • Midtown/ Cooper young -38014, similar to 38111. Very complex area. Huge developments and improvements in this area. Really need to know your stuff if you're going to buy here.
    • Whitehaven 38116, has its bad areas, but good investment areas. You'll find some rtv opportunities 1-1.5% here with less risk than Frayser. Working class neighborhoods
    • Parkway Village and Hickory Hill -38118, 38115 similar to Whitehaven
    • Westwood/west Whitehaven - 38109 - some good finds.
    • Germantown - $$$, very few deals in general as it is similar to Collierville, maybe some on western edges, but those are very hard to find.

    Areas to avoid:

    • Frayser 38127
    • Orange Mound 38114
    • North Memphis - 38107
      South Memphis - 38126, 38106

    I hope this helps.

  • Property Manager · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    @Charles Mitchell Would love to connect with you and chat about property management or just real estate in general! Look forward to hearing from you.

  • New to Real Estate · Memphis, TN · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Charles Mitchell Take this with a grain of salt as I have zero real estate experience. But I’m from Memphis.

    I know a lot of college kids look for rentals north/northeast-ish of the University of Memphis. I think Bartlett is a great area to invest in. The price/crime ratio seems really good.

    I’m looking for a helper/apprentice job with a rehabber/flipper in Memphis. I’d love to follow someone around and help, learn everything I can. I’m pretty green in experience but I love home repairs, remodels, and projects when I get the chance.

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Benjamin Williams I always tell people that if you are looking at Memphis connect with @Douglas Skipworth who can give you great detail on the market or point you in the right direction.  Douglas and his team at Crestcore have an investment, property management, and rehab arm of their company so they can help you in many ways.  If anything he will give you some good nuggets on what to avoid.  Good luck!

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hey @Stephen Akindona I'm interested that zip code guide you mentioned. Could you send that to me as well please. 

  • Investor · San Jose · Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    Hey guys, I know it's an old thread but really helpful information here.

    I am from California and looking forward to starting my real estate investment journey from Memphis, TN. Based on my research or at least on paper, Memphis still looks like a market where someone can get positive Cash Flow.

    Would love to connect to see what you guys think. 

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 379 posts · 130 votes
    5y

    Oh also reach out to @Jack Inman

    Okay so apparently I wrote the above weeks and weeks ago and never hit post reply.

    But message me if you want to chat- and funny enough I am in San Jose at the moment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Lewis hey I noticed on the areas to avoid you had 38107 & 38106 down. Memphis is definitely “block by block” when it comes to finding a suitable area to invest. Just an FYI though, they are doing a TON of redevelopment & new construction in both of the zip codes I mentioned above. I bought a duplex in 38107 last year & they are now building 15 new homes in the subdivision.

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Great forum! I am just getting started looking into possible investments (SFR or MF) in Memphis. Definitely the BRRRR model is appealing but I don't have a network in Memphis as my main investments are in California. And yes, I would be an out-of-state investor. Can anyone point me into the direction? Much appreciated!

  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2022 · 1 post · 2 votes
    4y

    Hi @Giacomo Bugatti, I also live in California and am starting to invest in Memphis.  I'm working with @Stephen Akindona at Kairos Realty and would definitely recommend that you get in touch with him.  Good luck!

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 741 posts · 845 votes
    4y

    Thanks @Mona Williams! @Giacomo Bugatti would love to help! 

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Thanks for reaching out. Free to chat this coming week?

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mona Williams:

    Hi @Giacomo Bugatti, I also live in California and am starting to invest in Memphis.  I'm working with @Stephen Akindona at Kairos Realty and would definitely recommend that you get in touch with him.  Good luck!

    Nice! How is it working out for you? It would be good to chat from Cali investor to Cali investor :)
  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    OOS Investor who understands that everyone needs somewhere to live. I am in search of affordable property to purchase with minimal renovations. My sister and mom live in Memphis so I plan to use them as my eyes in the state.  Those areas that are less desirable are areas where my family live.  38104,38127. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.