To flip or Rent?? East Memphis property

To flip or Rent?? East Memphis property

Real Estate Broker · AR | TN | MS · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 3 votes

In June I purchased a house in East Memphis (Colonial Acres) for $77500.  I completed a full renovation of the property and am now all in for about $107,000.  I have a potential tenant that will sign a 2-year lease for $1500 a month and am in the process of doing a cash-out refinance.  However, I was recently given a cash offer for 170K with no contingencies. Originally I comped the property to be worth $150ARV. I feel this is a very strong offer, and am tempted to take it to have more capital to purchase more properties. What are your guys thoughts?  I guess a large part of me feels that we are going to have a pull back in prices sooner than later? But, timing the market is nearly impossible...  Appreciate any feedback.

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Curt DavisBusiness Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

This is a tough situation bc you either take a $60k profit or you have an incredible cash-flowing rental in a solid area. To be clear, there is no right or wrong here. I can say that deals like this are almost impossible to come by so I could say lean towards the side of holding it long term. You can always sell it later for a profit.

Good luck!

Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    This is a tough situation bc you either take a $60k profit or you have an incredible cash-flowing rental in a solid area. To be clear, there is no right or wrong here. I can say that deals like this are almost impossible to come by so I could say lean towards the side of holding it long term. You can always sell it later for a profit.

    Good luck!

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 257 votes
    4y

    @Ben Parrish- I agree with @Curt Davis.  Unless you have a pressing need for the cash for an immediate investment, I'd continue moving forward with the refi and the lease.  One of the investment mistakes I made when we were flipping was not keeping more of them as rentals.  

  • Real Estate Broker · AR | TN | MS · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Thank you both for your feedback. I have been trying to tell myself that, but sometimes it just takes an outsider's perspective. 

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2020 · 105 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    Good problem to have! I agree there's no right or wrong answer but if it were me I'd lean towards holding it because it will cash flow so well. 

  • Developer · Maplewood, NJ · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 30 votes
    4y

    If you are an active investor and can find other good deals, I would sell it and use the funds to continue flipping.  If you are a passive investor and don't have the time to flip, keep it for the passive income. I have found it very difficult to do cash out refi's for my rentals so my capital gets stuck in my rentals until I sell.  My returns are significantly higher when I use my cash for flipping vs sitting in rentals.

  • Investor · Worcester County, MA · Member since 2016 · 122 posts · 72 votes
    4y

    Obviously, look into the tax implications of both options, and include this in your analysis.  Taxes may eat up some of that gain, if you sell.  I'd lean towards keeping  it.

  • Real Estate Broker · AR | TN | MS · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Hey BP friends!  Just wanted to update:  I am refinancing out of hard money on Friday.  My appraisal hit the numbers and will be able to pull all my cash out!  I have signed a tenant at $1500 a month! Thank you all for the advice and ecouragement.

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2020 · 105 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    Wow thats great! Congrats and thanks for updating us. I'm curious where in E. Memphis... what zip or area are you getting $1500/month? I presume its a standard 3/2?

  • Real Estate Broker · AR | TN | MS · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    It is a 3/1 in Colonial Acres (38117).  I wasn't sure at first if I could get 1500, but chose to go with top-end finished on rehab (granite, nice cabinets, bathroom reno etc..)  and had about 20 applicants in the first week! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.