Rent out condo or sell at a small loss?

Rent out condo or sell at a small loss?

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello,

So I bought a condo here a year ago when I moved down, and now it looks like I'm most likely going to have to move soon. I think I could rent it out and even if I hire a management company still breakeven or make enough to pay the mortgage/escrow (taxes, insurance, etc.). However, my HOA fee is stupidly high (not low when I bought but raised $110/month since then) and would put me underwater somewhere between 3-500 a month I think. I would be able to afford this as basically a bill on top of my rent whenever I move (because my rent would most likely be cheaper and salary same or higher). In my head, at least half of this loss is basically a savings account since it will go towards my principal. But otherwise, I estimate I need 2-3% appreciation annually to justify taking this hit.

My dilemma is that I still feel like the property will appreciate and I don't really want to be out of the game completely, but also doesn't seem like I'll realistically be able to rent out for a profit right now, even if I did it myself without a manager. It is located in Montrose and it's on the top floor of a mid-rise with views of downtown from the balcony and living room. So I feel that the location is very good and not unlikely to grow further. Think I've thought through most of the logistics but mainly asking this question to see if there's anything I might not be thinking of or see if anyone else here has experienced something similar and what you did? 

Thanks!

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 59 votes
3y

I agree with @Jason Hirko that time value of money is a consideration. One way to do that might be comparing your proforma using the rental tool to what options the cash flow from not carrying the mortgage and maintenance would produce if reinvested somewhere else.


Also, you didn’t mention if this is as a long, medium or short term rental. You could potentially make more with a different strategy and be able to cover your expenses. I hope this was useful. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Matthew Allen I'm going make a few assumptions based on what you said - you have a condo you bought with debt over a year ago. You also live there currently. I am going to assume you have a pretty spectacular interest rate on that property compared to today's rates, maybe even sub 3%. With that said, if you are 'losing' $300/mo right now, your DSCR is maybe in the 0.9 range. While not great, you have to look further out. You are right about 2-3% appreciation helping to justify this, but I would strongly encourage you to look at the time value of money on this. You have a monthly mortgage payment that is locked in at likely 2021 dollars. That amount won't change for the next 30 years. So even as inflation creeps (or jumps) up, your payment stays the same. That same inflation will eventually cause your rents to increase as well, but again, not your payment. You've already seen a huge increase in inflation since you got this loan, which hasn't trickled down yet to increases in rents, but it will soon. And over the next 30 years, forget it. You will be much better off keeping that loan as a hedge against inflation. In a few years, your DSCR will be above 1.0, and you'll have a cashflowing rental as your tenants pay you in 2025 dollars, while you still pay the bank in 2021 dollars.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Allen:

    Hello,

    So I bought a condo here a year ago when I moved down, and now it looks like I'm most likely going to have to move soon. I think I could rent it out and even if I hire a management company still breakeven or make enough to pay the mortgage/escrow (taxes, insurance, etc.). However, my HOA fee is stupidly high (not low when I bought but raised $110/month since then) and would put me underwater somewhere between 3-500 a month I think. I would be able to afford this as basically a bill on top of my rent whenever I move (because my rent would most likely be cheaper and salary same or higher). In my head, at least half of this loss is basically a savings account since it will go towards my principal. But otherwise, I estimate I need 2-3% appreciation annually to justify taking this hit.

    My dilemma is that I still feel like the property will appreciate and I don't really want to be out of the game completely, but also doesn't seem like I'll realistically be able to rent out for a profit right now, even if I did it myself without a manager. It is located in Montrose and it's on the top floor of a mid-rise with views of downtown from the balcony and living room. So I feel that the location is very good and not unlikely to grow further. Think I've thought through most of the logistics but mainly asking this question to see if there's anything I might not be thinking of or see if anyone else here has experienced something similar and what you did? 

    Thanks!


     Sell it, you overpaid like everyone else over the last two years, pricing IMO is going to come down . I just two weeks ago moved back to FL, I am renting on the beach as I am not going to pay 350- 400 a sq ft, just crazy. I think it will come down. I see props on the market longer so will see, In mean time I am living in paradise for a year or so. 

    All the best 

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Allen:

    Hello,

    So I bought a condo here a year ago when I moved down, and now it looks like I'm most likely going to have to move soon. I think I could rent it out and even if I hire a management company still breakeven or make enough to pay the mortgage/escrow (taxes, insurance, etc.). However, my HOA fee is stupidly high (not low when I bought but raised $110/month since then) and would put me underwater somewhere between 3-500 a month I think. I would be able to afford this as basically a bill on top of my rent whenever I move (because my rent would most likely be cheaper and salary same or higher). In my head, at least half of this loss is basically a savings account since it will go towards my principal. But otherwise, I estimate I need 2-3% appreciation annually to justify taking this hit.

    My dilemma is that I still feel like the property will appreciate and I don't really want to be out of the game completely, but also doesn't seem like I'll realistically be able to rent out for a profit right now, even if I did it myself without a manager. It is located in Montrose and it's on the top floor of a mid-rise with views of downtown from the balcony and living room. So I feel that the location is very good and not unlikely to grow further. Think I've thought through most of the logistics but mainly asking this question to see if there's anything I might not be thinking of or see if anyone else here has experienced something similar and what you did? 

    Thanks!

    Hi there Matthew,

    There are a few questions you may what to consider. Can you manage a single unit yourself? One unit isn't much to manage if you have automated systems and local professionals in place. Being that your association fee increase, did their service or coverage increase? Specifically will they now cover some of the expenses you paid before the increase such as internet, utilities, major damage coverage etc.? Is the increased fee a decrease in your expenses, may be worth it or not. Consider your loan terms will it cost you more now to buy now or was your purchase upside down to begin with? What are the projected rents? Is there a value feature that allows you to charge a bit more for your unit that for Above all, trust your intuition, if you sense you should stay in the game stay and make it work! Hope this helps.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    What interest rate are you locked in at? If it's around 3% as Matthew suggested, that's gold right now. You could run the numbers on an AirBnB, or find a professional to stay long term and see if the rents cashflow.

    If rental numbers don't cashflow, you could consider selling your condo as a wrap. You basically keep your 3% interest rate and sell it to someone else at 4-5% interest where they pay you the interest instead of the bank.

    Feel free to connect and DM me if you need more ideas or help


  • Real Estate Agent · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 59 votes
    3y

    I agree with @Jason Hirko that time value of money is a consideration. One way to do that might be comparing your proforma using the rental tool to what options the cash flow from not carrying the mortgage and maintenance would produce if reinvested somewhere else.


    Also, you didn’t mention if this is as a long, medium or short term rental. You could potentially make more with a different strategy and be able to cover your expenses. I hope this was useful. 

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    I rented a town home for about five years.

    Sell it now, cut your losses.  Becoming a landlord isn't for everyone, and it sounds like you're considering it without really knowing what's involved.  I believe you are planning for a problem-free path of landlord-ship, and while many properties will give problem-free rentals for years, yours sounds like it has more downsides than upsides.

    You're dealing with a condo, which might have HOA restrictions on rentals.  You're dealing with a low-equity property, and while borrowing the money may sound "free" due to interest rates, the costs and liabilities of holding the property aren't free; odds are you will be primarily paying the bank, and any long-term expenses will again come out of your pocket (special HOA assessment, roof replacement, water heaters, air conditioners, etc.)  Factor in the costs to repaint between tenants, and to replace carpet every three tenants (while small items are often covered by deposits, large expenses quickly exceed deposits).  Many tenants fail to maintain a property as if it were their own; but, ability to rent is mostly a function of location and property upkeep.

    Trying to do this out-of-state will only make a first-time landlord's job more complicated.  You might pay people to do it for you, but odds are they will primarily collect the checks, call about late payments, and issue the late payment / eviction notices as every landlord can independently, for a fee.  If they provide more services, they'll definitely charge for them, eroding profits even more.

    Give https://guides.sll.texas.gov/l... a read.  If you're still in after these up-front warnings, great!  There is a lot of potential for rentals, even in Houston's traditionally "soft rental" market.  But, one should not buy into the hype that rentals are "passive income"  They aren't as active as a full time job, but when the work is needed, it's needed "now", and having a buffer to handle the unexpected costs is essential.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.